[RIOT] Shootet (WIP) - Searching contributors

mrz

Still Fresh
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on my entry for the riot called "Shootet". It's similar to the classic game Quarth: you have to stop falling shapes by forming them into rectangles.

Core gameplay is pretty much done, just some minor things to add. Later on more gamemodes and features will be included, but for the moment I want to concentrate on getting the basics finished properly.

Also, things like highscores, more visual effects, general tweaking and audio aren't implemented yet, but I am working on this for about a week now so I guess time won't become a big problem.

Here is a little video, but please be aware that neither the graphics nor the leveldesign are made for anything else but testing.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rSIJQSm_nw4?feature=oembed
Shootet.png

So why am I posting here? As I don't really have art skills I am searching for someone who is willing to do some nice graphics. I do not await anything special here, everything is better than what I produce with MSPaint. Also, everyone is welcome to help with music, sounds, mapping or ideas.

If you are intressted, don't hesitate but contact me and I will hand over a built.

Update 2011-06-21

Alpha versions for linux(requires SDL, SDL_image, SDL_mixer and SDL_ttf), windows(untested) and the pandora: Download(Outdated. Please wait until the competition is over.)

Controls:

ASDW on PC equals AXBY on the pandora

Enter is Start

Data files:

All data is stored in "dat/", feel free to play around there.

"*.tmx" are the mapfiles, editable with Tiled.

"*.ani" are xmlfiles that describe animations, they are pretty self explanatory.

"*.bmp" are normal bitmap files.

Note:

This is an alpha built. There are unimplemented functions and there is nearly no balancing in gameplay. Suggestions on that, however, are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great, I'm sorry I'm no artist or developer but throw it this way for a bit of community play testing and knowing the game style I could probably hand you some ideas with it, I'll let you know whatever bugs I find.

It looks like Galaga and Tetris had a love child :)

That looks pretty fun, good luck with it.

This is really an interesting game, I hope you can find some nice artists to contribute work to it .. do you have spritesheets that need to be changed, or something?

do you have spritesheets that need to be changed, or something?

I have uploaded alpha builds for windows, linux and the pandora. See the OP for more info.

Again: I am mainly searching for a gfx - artist to give this a better look. If someone is intressted feel free to mess around with the data files. I have no special requirements for high quality, it just should look nice and plain.

Looks like a nice idea! I'm going to take a bash at giving it a graphic overhaul :)

EDIT: As you're using purple to make an alpha channel, I'm guessing the graphics only have two states of transparency - on or off, would that be right?

As you're using purple to make an alpha channel, I'm guessing the graphics only have two states of transparency - on or off, would that be right?

First of all, thanks for offering help. It's greatly appreciated. :)

Transparencies: At present, yes, there is only on/off as I think it's the common way to do things. Do you need per-pixel-alpha?

Looks like a great idea, I like the fusion of puzzle game with a shmup. Sorry I have no art skills either, just wanted to wish you luck.

I'll get back to you on the transparency thing - I should be fine though!

Here's my proposed idea for the start menu - I can change layouts, styles, just want to see what you think :)

tst.jpg

Going to base the rest of the game's art on this style, if you like it!

If per-pixel alpha channel information is needed, then BMP ain't gonna cut the mustard in any case :)
Lol, just 'cause the Bitmap 3 specifications say its 32bit color data mode just ignores the remaining 8 bit doesn't mean nobody's using it. For example, Photoshop and GIMP do support ARGB BMPs.

The uncommon Bitmap versions 4 and 5 that were introduced with Win95 and Win98 are even officially supporting alpha channels and color correction, they can be used as a container for PNG and JFIF files as well.

If per-pixel alpha channel information is needed, then BMP ain't gonna cut the mustard in any case :)
Lol, just 'cause the Bitmap 3 specifications say its 32bit color data mode just ignores the remaining 8 bit doesn't mean nobody's using it. For example, Photoshop and GIMP do support ARGB BMPs.

The uncommon Bitmap versions 4 and 5 that were introduced with Win95 and Win98 are even officially supporting alpha channels and color correction, they can be used as a container for PNG and JFIF files as well.

Photoshop and GIMP may support alpha BMP's, but if SDL doesn't then it's kind of moot isn't it?

Hello out there!

Whilst the final days of the competition are fading away, BLACKALiCE is working on the graphics and I still have many things I'd like to polish, it turns out that someone who is willing to do the mapping would be a great help. It isn't a hard job - just needs time and love. As said, Tiled is used as editor:

Tiled.png

I am planning with around 10 levels for every difficulty, what would make 30 levels in total, but I think for the moment it's fine to take the same series of levels from one difficulty, speed them up and do minor changes.

If you have some time until sunday and would like to participate - send me a PM, you'd do the game a great favour!

Looking good, I like the new style :)

Eagerly awaiting to play it, looking like a very nice game for some quick fun.

Back