Release RickyD - A Rick Dangerous clone

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is RickyD, a Rick Dangerous  Clone that use SDL2.

preview3.png

Speed is fine on GHz pandora, and ok on (overclocked) Rebirth.

This clone has all Rick 1 level + most Rick 2 level.

With Build 04, you now have a C4A compatible version. You need to first create a profile with the Compo4All PND to be abble to submit your scores.

History log

=======

Build 12

-----------

• Fixed a crash for first level of Rick2
Build 11

-----------

• Updated Fusilli client from Ziz, with fixed cached upload for large cache
Build 10

-----------

• Updated to latest code.
  • Use Fusilli client, with cached score (offline play)
  • SDL2 is using glshim now (seems faster)
Build 09

-----------

Build 08
-----------

• Compatible with latest SGX Video Drivers
Build 07

-----------

• Unlocked first level of Rick2
  • Use new SDL 2.0.1
Build 06

-----------

• Updated to latest code. There were many update in rick2 levels and there is the chiptune when passing checkpoint!

Build 05

-----------

• Updated to latest code. There were many update in rick2 levels.

Build 04

-----------

• Now with Compo4All! Use the "RickyD C4A" launcher to have your score (silently) submited to leaderboard.
  • Recompiled some parts, should be faster. Also, put an Overclock of 800Mhz in the PXML.
Build 03

-----------

• The Stick is now functionnal. You can make the bat fly, or stun some enemies with it (not the mummy).
  • A bug in Level 1 Sublevel 6 has been fixed (it was impossible to exit the sublevel, with moving block and the 2 switches).
  • Thanks to the author, Paulo Assis, for all thoses improvements and corrections.

Build 02

-----------

•  Added XLOCALEPATH export, the PND should runs now.

Build 01

----------

• Initial release.
  • Fullscreen is anamorphic, no black stripes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used latest vesion from mercury. 

I used this command line 

../configure --prefix=/mnt/utmp/codeblocks/usr/ --disable-haptic --disable-directfb-shared --enable-video-directfb --enable-video-opengles --disable-video-opengl --disable-opengles-shared

and commented lines 246&247 of video/x11/SDL_x11Keyboard.c to avoid segfault once package.

I used latest vesion from mercury. 

I used this command line 

and commented lines 246&247 of video/x11/SDL_x11Keyboard.c to avoid segfault once package.
This is pretty nice news, its a test Ive wanted to do to see if the X11 code worked as is, as I have some ideas to make SDL2 a bit better.

Looking at those lines is it XKeysymToString that causes the problem?

yes it is, but only once in  PND. It was fine inside codeblocks environment. I guess some "dlopen" inside X11, but didn't found wich updated lib was missing inside the PND, so I commented the line.

Dirty hack. but it works.

Will not load for me. No appdata folder created. Tried making up a rickyd folder in appdata but no good.  :(

Last edited:
Oh :(

Sorry, looks I didn't test enough. I will be out of wifi network I think for a few next days (not sure), so I won't be abble to update.

I think it should work if codeblocks is launched.

New build on the repo. It should run this time. I added an export to define folder of locale string of X11 inside the RickyD PND, and it looks like this fixed the Segfault.

Build 02

-----------

•  Added XLOCALEPATH export, the PND should runs now.

Runs perfect now. The best looking version I ever played. 

Thanks for correcting. :D

Last edited:
Nearly perfect.

The stick (Action + Right/Left) doesn't have any effect.

I already played the Nintendo Wii version of Rick Dangerous.

There the Stick blocks enemies /or stuns them. Don't know).

Here the stick has no impact. Rick dies when the enemy touches him with stick active.

Maybe the hitboxes if the enemies or the collision bubble of Rick are/is too big.

Seems like Rick dies even when the enemy doesn't touch him but shortly before.

Nearly perfect.

The stick (Action + Right/Left) doesn't have any effect.

I already played the Nintendo Wii version of Rick Dangerous.

There the Stick blocks enemies /or stuns them. Don't know).

Here the stick has no impact. Rick dies when the enemy touches him with stick active.

Maybe the hitboxes if the enemies or the collision bubble of Rick are/is too big.

Seems like Rick dies even when the enemy doesn't touch him but shortly before.
You have to lay down bombs to kill enemies..

Last edited:
I have to check the real use of the stick on an emulated original... I my memory, it I only used it to make the bat fly. I barely beaten level 1 though (was it on CGA 8086 or my VGA 386SX?), I may not knewn the full use of it.

How is RickyD different from XRick ? (Gameplay, graphics, sound, levels, performance, …) ?

I have played XRick (no screenshot in repo, but visual memory in my mind), and from the impression of the RickyD screenshots would say that the graphics of XRick are possible with less resolution, but more fine-grained & love to detail, as opposed to the rather oversmoothed tile design (synthetic impression, less craftmanship/artwork, looking more like cheap rendering) as seen on the RickyD screenshots.

Downloaded the newest version from the Repo, so far it's crashed my 1gig Pandora twice!

Well, RickyD features an easy way to add graphics and levels. That's some improvement over xRick :)

I tested right now.

xRick: Stick has  an impact to enemies.

RickyD: Stick has no impact.

One of those games is wrong.

EDIT:

I couldn't make the bat fly either on Rick.D.

Stick seem too short.

EDIT 2:

xRick: The bat flys when te stick touches it.

So there IS a stick problem aith RickyD.

EDIT 3:

Wikipedia says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Dangerous

Gameplay
Rick can jump and climb, and carry a limited amount of dynamite and ammunition for his gun. The gun is Rick's main means of disposing of enemies, although most traps that can kill Rick can also kill his enemies if used correctly. The dynamite sticks are generally used for puzzle solving, such as by blowing up certain blocks. (Of course, some of them fly towards the explosion, potentially killing Rick in the backfire). Rick is also armed with a pogo stick that allows him to paralyze enemies with split-second timing.

Back