Reword V0.3.1 - New Update

purplepup

Website
Visit site
REWORD (word) puzzle game update.

After a bit of feedback from the v0.3 release and me spotting a stupid memory leak soon after releasing, I've made the following fixes and changes. There's still loads to improve, so expect a 0.4 soon(ish).
Thanks to everyone who commented, described faults and offered ideas.

Fixes for v0.3.1 point release:
- fixed (I think) rogue letters flying off screen on shuffle
- fixed memory leak in letter sprite class destructor
- fixed pressing Y in pause mode would end game
- speeded up menus fractionally (ok Jozef?) but more to do
- changed stick+L+R exit to go to hiscore if needed

Future enhancements planned :
- aim to have scrolling word definitions if > 10 lines
- music option in-game (with volume control)
- possibly wordlist selection screen (diff languages etc)
- animated effects

Click the link (below) for game description and screenshots.

Download from archive:
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,25,1867
NOTE: only just uploaded so it may take a little while to show up.

Cheers
Al

Fun fun. I played this for a few hours today. Good job dude.

I think it would be cool to add a feature with a hard to stumble upon keypress that lets you end the current round. There are times where im stuck on bullshit words that I don't know, especially weird shit like chemistry prefixes and whatnot. I guess this rant on these words demonstrates that I have played it alot and will continue to. Once again nice job and thanks for taking time to code.

it is quite possible that you can pause in medium, cant remember.

jose said:
still did not show up at archive.gp2x.de.. hmm :-( joe
hmmm indeed! I posted it, and the source, to the archive at about 4.30PM Sunday, so I would have expected it to be there by now.

Who do we check with to sort this out?

Last edited by a moderator:
PurplePup said:
jose said:
still did not show up at archive.gp2x.de.. hmm :-( joe
hmmm indeed! I posted it, and the source, to the archive at about 4.30PM Sunday, so I would have expected it to be there by now.

Who do we check with to sort this out?

Just had a look at the archive site and unless it's only me, it seems they're having a few problems or are reloading the whole site.

Reword and anything after Apr 2007 seems to be missing (WTF?!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it seems the 3.0.1 zip is now finally available in the archive, so go get it there (see first post).

Thanks again to Yod4z for hosting the zip in the mean time.

fun to play. i suggest some sort of button press that will allow you to enter letters from the end (right side) of the available spaces, than always having to do it from the beginning (left side). there are times when i think better by constructing a word from the suffix-type ending (eg common ones like -ing, -ed)

This is ace! A really nice example of homebrew - nice fluent graphics, appropriate sound effects, fun to play, makes you think, I love it!

I agree that some words are very difficult - I've only managed to get two correct six letter words in a row. Perhaps if you can get an equivalent to one six letter word - perhaps 2x 5 letters, or 3x 4 letter words, you could continue your game?

Regarding the volume control - being able to play with no sound at all would be useful for those late night sessions - I can see me getting addicted to this!

hitby, that's an interesting idea. I really hadn't thought of that. If I can find a free button or combo I'll try and implement it.

bomb_dog, the 'easy' mode should (obviously) be a bit easier than the default 'medium' mode. I went through all the 6 letter words in the game and assigned easy, med, hard to each, according to my idea of difficult. I hoped it would allow for peoples different abilities (my girlfriend for instance can get just about any 6 letter word when I get stuck after a few words in a row, just from me telling her the available letters!). I don't want to make it too easy though; it is a thinking and vocab improvement game after all :)

The volume should be adjustable in menus and in game in the next release.

Cheers all.

Back