Remove The "screen Protector"?

Polymira

Still Fresh
I have a small hair underneath my screen cover, and would like to remove it...

A: How can I take it off without damage? what would be a good tool?

B: Will it stick firmly back on once taking it off? Or will i have to get a replacement?

It's probably easier to just unscrew the case and lift the screen out. Then you can get it from behind. Just be careful with the shiny plastic edging, it's kind of thin and you seem to need to bend it slightly to get everything back together.

edit: typo

Polymira posted on Feb 4 2006 at 08:57 AM said:
I have a small hair underneath my screen cover, and would like to remove it...

A: How can I take it off without damage? what would be a good tool?

B: Will it stick firmly back on once taking it off? Or will i have to get a replacement?

I managed to get dust/hairs trapped about 3 times when initially fitting it! For A I didn't have much luck, got a scratch in the corner where I levered it off - not on the display though. For B it stuck down firmly again. Guess it depends how long its been on?

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a hairdryer in combination with a suction cup can get the job done ?

cheers
rSl

I too would like to know the best way to do this because I got a TON of dust in my screen. about 20-30 good pieces.... *crys* don't ask me how I got it there, I know why but I am to embarrassed to say.

So is unscrewing it looking to be the best way? The hairdryer thing sounds a little risky because you could screw up the glue on it, I did think of the suction cup thing though. Maybe just take a vacum hose and stick it on the screen... *crack* yeah I can see that happening.

Hmmm... I still think that opening it up is the method least likely to damage anything.

I also heard that you can rub a balloon on your hair and use the static to move the dust where you can't see it. I'll be damned if I'm going to charge something up with static and place it on my gp2x, but it does save you from having to open it.

FluffyPanda posted on Feb 4 2006 at 11:10 AM said:
Hmmm... I still think that opening it up is the method least likely to damage anything.

I also heard that you can rub a balloon on your hair and use the static to move the dust where you can't see it. I'll be damned if I'm going to charge something up with static and place it on my gp2x, but it does save you from having to open it.

That has to be the most original .... and coolest idea i have ever heard.....

You sir, deserve a cookie

If I am able to get to the back of the screen protector, what would you recommend for getting the dust off?

Polymira posted on Feb 4 2006 at 03:23 PM said:

I also heard that you can rub a balloon on your hair and use the static to move the dust where you can't see it.  I'll be damned if I'm going to charge something up with static and place it on my gp2x, but it does save you from having to open it.

He did not think of it himself some else did on this board did (he never said he did), but I have tried that and it did nothing for the loads of dust I have, plus it is a STUPID idea (yeah I am stupid) the thing can shock the device and could ruin it.

reallynotnick posted on Feb 4 2006 at 10:44 PM said:
Polymira posted on Feb 4 2006 at 03:23 PM said:

He did not think of it himself some else did on this board did (he never said he did), but I have tried that and it did nothing for the loads of dust I have, plus it is a STUPID idea (yeah I am stupid) the thing can shock the device and could ruin it.
:lol:

The balloon idea was mine.
Worked a treat for me.
Didnt damage feck all.
Not really enough charge in a balloon, just leave the gp2x switched off while doing it. So there! :p

I'll stop by the dollar store tomorrow and get some baloons

Thanks Trashman =)

I have a big ugly hair underneath my screen, but I am too nervous about taking the screen off to try it for just one hair. I was optimistic about the baloon idea, but it didn't work : (

nickspoon posted on Feb 4 2006 at 10:29 PM said:
If I am able to get to the back of the screen protector, what would you recommend for getting the dust off?

I've seen inside a GP2x :ph34r: and would advise against anyone going in there... :D

nickspoon posted on Feb 4 2006 at 03:29 PM said:

When I had to install a new screen with my afterburner for GBA, dust was a problem. The recommendations I followed:

1 - work in a dust free room - running a shower on hot for 5-10 minutes will remove most dust from the air, and your bathroom will be generally dust-free
2 - use alot of light to see the dust as you work with the screen
3 - use scotch tape to cover the plastic screen that's covered in dust and simply peel away. However, I haven't seen the gp2x screen yet so I dont know if this will ruin it.

halo9 posted on Feb 5 2006 at 08:55 AM said:
nickspoon posted on Feb 4 2006 at 10:29 PM said:

I've seen inside a GP2x :ph34r: and would advise against anyone going in there... :D

I have LOADS AND LOADS of dust behind my screen and now you have stopped me from wanting to open it. I am no hardware profesional but I am not stupid. Is it really that dangerous for me to go in?

Is there a nice step by step guild with photos I could follow?

I really need to fix this, I can't look at my gp2x with out feeling sad.

I just got my GP2X and fitted my screen. Stupid hair right in the centre. Got a small screw driver and used it to pull the screen a bit and used the screwdriver to slide the hair out (didn't fully open the screen!). Put it back on, another small bit of dust right in the centre! Pulled it back and used a tissue to basically slide any dust towards the side and pull any hairs out. There might be one or two small specks left but they're not noticeable so I won't bother now. Reminds of the Afterburner install! Very stupid idea to make the customer install the screen!

Back