Screen Protector Question

Prefab

Still Fresh
I received my GP2X today - it's hella sweet so far.

However I noticed a bit of thick tape on the corner of the screen, with a red bit on it also. Has anyone else got that on?

Also, is there anything to remove from the screen itself or just the protector piece?

Cheers.

Are you referring to this:

sticker9eh.jpg

I think you're supposed to pull on the red sticker to remove a protective film that is on top of the screen. After that you need to put on the screen protector that is included with the unit. Make sure you remove the protective film from that too before you put it on. If I have understod it correctly the screen protector has vinyl films on both sides which needs to be removed.

I don't have a unit yet though so maybe someone else can verify?

Where did you find that photo? I've had a closer look and I think there is a bit of plastic on the screen itself, but the sticker with the red on can't seem to pull the film off.

:(

I had the same problem, the red tape just wasn't strong enough. In the end I used a sewing needle to pick at the edge of the film until it came up.

Andrew

OMG you are a legend andrew :D

Thank you so much, I was very careful and used the needle along the black area on the bottom right, came off straight away. You just have to be *extremely* careful.

So, there are TWO layers on the one you put on? That makes a total of 3 layers you have to remove?

Also, to get the screen protector off, should you just use some sellotape?
I tried, but apparently it wasn't strong enough.

A piece of dust appeared under mine before.. and it's right over the settings icon. Bugging me.

So, there are TWO layers on the one you put on? That makes a total of 3 layers you have to remove?

Also, to get the screen protector off, should you just use some sellotape?
I tried, but apparently it wasn't strong enough.

A piece of dust appeared under mine before.. and it's right over the settings icon. Bugging me.

Well this thread seem to indicate that there are one vinyl film on each side of the screen protector. Better read for yourself though:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=22034&hl=

Last edited by a moderator:
i got mine today, there is a protector on the main screen that i removed with the red tape attached, then the glossy screen that you apply yourself has one protective vinyl part on the front and a white plastic bit on the back to keep it sticky, once you put that bit on and push it tru with a lint free cloth the screen gets a new lease of life, it's a great screen with all the bit in the right place.

BTW, has anybody experienced flickering from the screen on some of the menus and during video playback, i presume it's to be fixed with F/W updates, but wondered if it might be my unit?

Ta.

i got mine today, there is a protector on the main screen that i removed with the red tape attached, then the glossy screen that you apply yourself has one protective vinyl part on the front and a white plastic bit on the back to keep it sticky, once you put that bit on and push it tru with a lint free cloth the screen gets a new lease of life, it's a great screen with all the bit in the right place.
Also, don't forget the little strip of vinyl that covers the power/battery LEDs and gamepark logo. In total you need to pull off the vinyl strip on the main screen (using the red tab), then pull off the white plastic on the back of the screen protector. Then stick the screen protector onto the console (making absolutelly sure that there is no dust underneath - once it's on, the dust will be trapped). After it's stuck down, you need to pull off the vinyl on the top of the screen protector (by picking at the edges). After that you pull the vinyl off the bottom LED strip (by picking at the edges again).

Is there a reason that the screen protector could not be installed at the factory? I would imagine that this process is causing some confusion (and allowing dust to be trapped underneath).

BTW, has anybody experienced flickering from the screen on some of the menus and during video playback, i presume it's to be fixed with F/W updates, but wondered if it might be my unit?
Yeah mine flickers quite a bit as well (in addition to the white line on the left, wavy diagonal lines and horizontal streaks in high contrast areas). I think they all do this. I doubt that the screen will be cleared up too much with firmware updates, but it doesn't really matter. Apart from these imperfections, it's still a great screen.

*faint*

I hope your GP2X survived that operation unharmed! ;-)
I was super paranoid while doing it, it is fine! It was probably safer than trying to use my nearly non-existent nails as I could get the point exactly where I wanted it and wouldn't accidentally scrape the case. Obviously I had to be very careful not to push down too hard! :lol:

OMG you are a legend andrew  :D
Thanks, glad to help :)

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Back