"Remix Mini" Multitasking Android PC

fusion_power

Advanced Member
Website
Visit site
I've strumbled over a Kickstarter Project around a little Android based Computer with a custom OS that allows "Multitasking" or "Multi Window" to be precise, like you may experience it from a PC. It's called REMIX MINI:

remix-mini-main-rcm992x0.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1123481999/remix-mini-the-worlds-first-true-android-pc

Their official website: http://www.jide.com/en/mini

I have no experience with Android but I find such  a tiny Computer interesting. I often  watch only Videos and browse the Web with my big, old PC which of course is not very energy efficient.  So, what do you think about Android on a "PC like" appearence? Is it just a toy or can you work with Android like you know from Windows/Linux/whatever?  Are there even apps that allow to use Android like that? I'm not a friend of "touchscreen only" single task computing but an hybrid solution could be interesting as long as I can use Mouse/Keyboard if needed. That's why I start looking for convertible devices.

The company also made a decent (Tegra 4 based)  Tablet/convertible with the same OS, it recieved surprisingly good critics but sadly is not available in germany.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1123481999/remix-a-laptop-experience-on-a-big-android-tablet/description

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pandora is also pretty small, portable, and has  its own display and keyboard with really good battery life.

The price on this seems decent (I think) and would be good for someone that likes Android or needs something cheap and basic.

The price on this seems optimistically low, especially for the kickstarter. I have doubts that they'd actually make production with the funds they get.

$20+$50 sounds like a decent Raspberry price range so it should be realistic for that tiny thing. They already sell their Tablet for ~$400 so at least the company is not a scam.

Pandora has the disadvantage of the small screen for video plus it sucks at playing/streaming Youtube (& co.) Videos, even with "The Tube" & Co.  TV out is also only analog. I know the Pyra will do better there but will also be very expencive. So there is enough room for other devices that could fill the gap. ^^

Hmm ... why have a version of Android that got a "windowed" mode forced onto it, instead of using something similar with an x86 CPU int it, so you could either use Windows or Linux as a Desktop environment. You may have some form of windows management on Android with the Remix OS, but the applications are still tuned for a touch screen, so you loose a lot of screen estate and functionality in comparison to desktop applications.

With a windowed version of Android you can have a bunch of games all next to each other while watching twitter and your inbox.  Just an idea.

Hmm ... why have a version of Android that got a "windowed" mode forced onto it, instead of using something similar with an x86 CPU int it, so you could either use Windows or Linux as a Desktop environment. You may have some form of windows management on Android with the Remix OS, but the applications are still tuned for a touch screen, so you loose a lot of screen estate and functionality in comparison to desktop applications.
Yupp, that's the question I guess. It may be because it's hard to find an x86 CPU that only uses 10W. In that case I would also prefer a x86 Windows system, I have high hopes for Win10 by the way.However if you stay with ARM, like ekianjo mentioned, a Rasp 2 with proper Linux may be the better solution here. Sadly there is no Raspberry Tablet PC available. :D

Back