[Release] Compo4all MAME - ladder/scoreboard competition for classic arcade games :)

OKay, Donkey Kong is added.

I've not bothered to have it pull down anyones initials to impregnate the in-game high score table yet, so it always pulls the vanilla hiscore table (which is easy to get #1 on.) Then it pushes your scores up and I work out which are new scores and stuff them in the table. Works a treat :)

http://skeezix.wallednetworks.com:13001/scoreboard_1/dkong/

I'll add to first post :)

Now we'll have to start deciding what games to do our first actual compo with (prizes and everything) .. maybe start it 2nd week of March or something ;) (hey, whens March Break..)

jeff

edit: FWIW -- you don't need to care about the initials you enter for DK; when it syncs up, your profile is used _always_; as long as you enter initials different than whats there (ideally) .. which are _blank_ .. you're fine. So anythign you do should work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uploading a new pnd-file right now, so grab a fresh copy :) This hopefully will be my last update for a few days.. need to get on top of RL again!

- newer splash artwork

- newer banner artwork in launcher

^--- thanks mcobit!

- launcher game buttons (bottom left) now just change the right-panel to be highscore info instead of ROT banner

- new play-button (bottom right) that fires up the game in question

In this way, you can peruse the top-most scores just by tapping through the buttons, no need to hit up the websites per se.

Yes, I realize I need to add key combos and nubmode changes, so its hard for mcobit and his broken touchscreen :( I'm not getting any sleep as is though, so these 'little things' slide to 'next time..' all too easily sorry :(

Hope you enjoy!

jeff

WTF .. who bombed Donkey Kongs score so hard already.. damn you :)

Rank    Initial         Name    Score   When
1       BUD     Budweiser       63900   26-Feb-2013
2       SKZ     SkeezixPandora  13200   27-Feb-2013

Nice job this just keeps on getting better and better .

Sorry about Donkey Kong score ,but I'm sure someone will be beat it  .... (dk is one of my favorites)

If you pressed the Pandorabutton accidentaly, hold alt and then press fn+space (tab) until you get to the advmame.
This will allow you to continue and sos (save our scores). ;)

The press of the pandorabutton just seems to minimize advmame to the taskbar, what looks like locking it up because of the gtk stuff in the background.

New launcherlayout is great and it is easily navigateable with the dpad and Enter. But you only have the highlight of the active button with this thin, dotted one pixel line arount the text of the button, like in most gtk apps.

Maybe you could change the color of a button if it is hightlighted? Would make it useable with the Pandora controls instantly.

Also one more suggestion:

Can you pull new artwork, launchermodifications etc. From the server, too and drop them into appdata on start?

The emulator itself is the biggest part in this pnd and doesn't really get changed so this would prevent the need to download the whole pnd again for some gui or graphics changes.

I think I need to add more recent or more obscure titles .. with some of these classics, we've got some people who beat the hell out of them .. mspac's leaderboard hasn't changed in a couple days; are people just trying the others out, or are folks discouraged by Links big lead?

I was thinking of doing a compo on classics, but it may be too polarised; maybe more obscure classics (sort of like Pooyan or Qix) rather than the big names like Ms Pac (or newer stuff like Raiden, etc.)

Interesting :)

Any stats people here?

DK, which has only run a day or two.. its like blam: Mal and Bud racing neck and neck, but clearly wiping the floor with everyone else. Should be interesting to watch

Galaxian: 3 people with 9-12k, and then everyone else in the 6k range .. not as pronounced, but still humpy

Ms Pac: A clear hump at the end, or maybe a 3 hill bunch.. average, good, and freaky :) Still, two main groups.

Space Invaders: not as bad I think .. perhaps more obscurely played compared to DK and MsPac?

Whats your feeling .. Mr Do may be less popuilar overall, but maybe popular with our crowd, so may polarize again; picking any one persons favorite mighgt just lead to this sort of scenario. Maybe we need to pick .. I dunno, Pooyan or Golden Axe or whatever, something that isn't in the recognition league of Ms Pac.

By the way, do you know what happens with scores if you decide to play a two player game?

On newer games you can sometimes throw in quarters till you beat them. How to check that you only used one?

I think I need to add more recent or more obscure titles .. with some of these classics, we've got some people who beat the hell out of them .. mspac's leaderboard hasn't changed in a couple days; are people just trying the others out, or are folks discouraged by Links big lead?

I was thinking of doing a compo on classics, but it may be too polarised; maybe more obscure classics (sort of like Pooyan or Qix) rather than the big names like Ms Pac (or newer stuff like Raiden, etc.)

Interesting :)

Any stats people here?

DK, which has only run a day or two.. its like blam: Mal and Bud racing neck and neck, but clearly wiping the floor with everyone else. Should be interesting to watch

Galaxian: 3 people with 9-12k, and then everyone else in the 6k range .. not as pronounced, but still humpy

Ms Pac: A clear hump at the end, or maybe a 3 hill bunch.. average, good, and freaky :) Still, two main groups.

Space Invaders: not as bad I think .. perhaps more obscurely played compared to DK and MsPac?

Whats your feeling .. Mr Do may be less popuilar overall, but maybe popular with our crowd, so may polarize again; picking any one persons favorite mighgt just lead to this sort of scenario. Maybe we need to pick .. I dunno, Pooyan or Golden Axe or whatever, something that isn't in the recognition league of Ms Pac.
Maybe you can have an all-time leaderboard and another one tracking the best scores over the past week or month or something.

It's just fun to be able to run some of the classics in this Pandora community,

for me it's not really about score just a rebirth to play some of the games I love .

It's almost like not playing alone anymore .... Thanks for that :) Bud

By the way, do you know what happens with scores if you decide to play a two player game?

On newer games you can sometimes throw in quarters till you beat them. How to check that you only used one?
I've not experimented; generally your score should go to zero on a new quarter though, right?

jeff

Hm, I wonder:

The NeoGeo did save hiscores in the NVRAM, right?

So NeoGeo hiscore should all work the same. If yes, then wouldn't a universal NeoGeo-Leaderboard be possible (using the rom-names to sync the leaderboards)?

That would add stuff like Metal Slug, Magical Drop 3 (muahahaha), and other stuff.

I'd have to check; at least all MVS games were written by the same company, but thats no promise they use a standardized table or character set.

I've found..

The oldest (single score) games either used BCD or a byte-value in 16bit (little or big endian as appropriate.) Some games use 2b, some 3b, some 4b, some 6byte. Some will use blocks .. rank 1 score, initials, area got to, then rank2, then rank 3; some will strip it .. all the rank scores, then all the area, then all the initials; some do checksums or caching of complex data and a sim,pler form of it; the character set used for initials varies by game.. some use ASCII (rare), most use their own set that maps to their character ROMs.. common is ord0-9 for numbers and then ord10+ for uppercase letters, say; but sometimes they use ord0-9 for numbers and then 16 for blank and 17+ for letters.

ETc.. bug damned mess :)

But MVS I've not looked at at all; does mame dump out a .hi for them, or in nv .. and in nv, is it all the same or something else.

If they're all the same, that would be awesome.. blam, heres 50 more games. .I shall have to look :)

Same sort of question arises for pcb boards swaps or rom swaps, or games by the same company, or games by the same developers. But you neve rknow till you go hex digging :eek:

jeff

Can I just say once again - congratulations with this project, already it has become the main reason I turn  on my pandora.  I love the competitive urge to improve and it brings back all the fun and frustration of playing some of these games in the arcade.  

Well Done

CJ

Quick question: I got to level 3 on donkey kong just now, so am worried if I get to the 117th screen of donkey kong and I get the kill screen, will my score be counted? :D   

Back