[Release] Compo4all MAME - ladder/scoreboard competition for classic arcade games :)

I like the idea of those two modes, although I'm not sure how they'd interact. Would anything in the 'all time' mode be ineligible for the 'competition' mode? If not, winning a competition could be a formality for anyone who managed to score their all-time high score on a Pandora, so could be a very high target for any combatants.

I see two ways round that - either only run high scored entered in the competition period against each other (but then add them to the all time list once the competition's done), or only put games in the all-time list once they've been competed against. The latter solution ensures all games have a decent set of scores to begin with, while the former would let you record your high score against every (MAME) game you play. I think I prefer the latter solution personally.

Playing it again I've not only scored a passable score, but also it has been recorded, so I guess I must've quit last time one of the times you rebooted. I was worried for a second that it'd not recorded my account creation, but it seems that's not the case :)

One comment regarding to current implementation if I may - it'd be nice if the launcher didn't disable the nubs so that I didn't have to use the touchscreen. Or add keyboard navigation to the launcher options, I guess.

Press tab (Fn+Space) until the button you want to press is highlighted and press Enter then.
I know, no real keyboardcontrol, but works. Real Gamingbutton control would be cool though.
Also I like the idea of adding games to the all time boards, if they had a compo before.

True, I could tab through the options, but on the Pandora's keyboard? Meh.

One bit of weirdness with the in-game high score - when the ROM is loaded it registers the community current high score (currently ED's 30k-odd), but at some point (I think when you start a game) it gets reset to 0. Is that deliberate?

Just did a quick hack between loads of laundry -- leaderboard is now top 100; if I get time one of these days I'll crank it up to 500.. can't hurt.

jeff

How long does it take for the score to be registered on that page?

Will TV-Out work with this?  Pandora D-Pad isn't responsive enough and the nubs aren't accurate for competition IMO.

Hmmm, with tvout and proper arcade joystick you might have a serious advantage...

Pandora D-Pad isn't responsive enough
It is pretty tricky to execute those sudden 90 degree turns or instant 180s with it that lots of the old school games need.

I was thinking of sticking something to the d-pad that would help in that respect, so my thumb would remain centered...

It is pretty tricky to execute those sudden 90 degree turns or instant 180s with it that lots of the old school games need.

I was thinking of sticking something to the d-pad that would help in that respect, so my thumb would remain centered...
+1

Just swapped batteries and can't back into this MAME.  ROT screen comes up, then it freezes on the 1st gray small window popup with gray background.

Back