Reddit is talking about the Pandora... They seem to not like it very much

Selling maybe 10-20,000 Pandora2 consoles and having them the absolute best spec and quality they can be, and giving the best customer service we can, is much more interesting and rewarding in my book.

That's exactly where the Pandora fits. It's clearly a "niche" product, and it has to aim at being an "elite" product to be clearly differentiated from the rest.

I wouldn't underestimate the power of reddit to sell a good idea.

Problem is, Reddit is very mainstream (not the same "mainstream" as TV, but still mainstream) and they tend to bash whatever strays away from THEIR norms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides, it would be WAY too much to handle logistics wise for us right now... the company would have to be bigger, and companies need to grow SLOWLY to stay healthy.
Nobody says, you would have to handle this alone. I'm sure there are ways to build and sell more Pandoras, without having more work of your own. ;)

And, to be honest, I don't like forums with too many users... it's hard to follow the hundreds of thread per day... especially if most are jus crap.
Again, nobody says you are the only one who would do all the work. Bigger projects also come with more people involved which should make things much more efficient - if you have the right people of course.

I also think it's better to have a high price and a top quality, unique product. That is our future market.
Right, but one of the main problems of Pandora 1 was a high price and not really "top quality", which may be the main reason why many people complain. Many people would pay a high price if the quality is high, no doubt. But to get this, you first must have top quality. So it is essential that the Pandora 2 don't has problems like broken LCD cables, cracking cases with fitting problems and to thick paint and so on. These small things can make a huge difference in the way, how valuable a product "feels" ;) .

So it is essential that the Pandora 2 don't has problems like broken LCD cables, cracking cases with fitting problems and to thick paint and so on. These small things can make a huge difference in the way, how valuable a product "feels" ;) .

I guess the whole Pandora experience was about learning how to manufacture a new machine, and I hope (and expect) the quality of the Pandora 2 to be ahead of the first Pandoras made.

Besides, it would be WAY too much to handle logistics wise for us right now... the company would have to be bigger, and companies need to grow SLOWLY to stay healthy.
Nobody says, you would have to handle this alone. I'm sure there are ways to build and sell more Pandoras, without having more work of your own. ;)

No, it's not that easy.

The problem is not assembling the units, manpower can easily be bought.

It's a risk and financial problem.

GC can build 250 Pandoras per week, and I know they're doing this reliable.

To build in higher quantities, you need more companies.

Take CC for example: About 25% of the 4000 PCBs have been killed by them. That's a damage of 300,000 EUR.

Now imagine you have another company that's supposed to build 100,000 Pandoras.

You'd need to get about 20 Million EUR upfront to start the production (try to get investors with that!)

And if that company is as reliable as CC, you have 25,000 broken Pandoras - which would be 5 Million EUR.

Which would again lead to the issue that we'd have to rise the price a lot to get those 5 Million EUR loss back... but we'd have to sell HUGE quantities for that high price, and that would surely be the end of the Pandora.

It would've been impossible to get that much money upfront, and any issue like we had with CC would have made things a LOT worse than they are now, as the loss would've multiplied.

The only proper way for an upstart company to start with such complicated products is to start in small quantities, build money with the sales, find reliable partners and increase production slowly when the demand is there.

For Pandora 2, this would be possible, but it wouldn't have been possible with the Pandora 1.

The risk would've been WAY too high to get any investors.

There are MANY companies who died because they tried to start big right away.

Take CC for example: About 25% of the 4000 PCBs have been killed by them. That's a damage of 300,000 EUR.
So it's about time to get at least 300K Euro back from CC, I would say. ;)

Now imagine you have another company that's supposed to build 100,000 Pandoras.

You'd need to get about 20 Million EUR upfront to start the production (try to get investors with that!)
100K Pandoras is a nice Number imho.

How about paying them after the Pandoras are built and tested, 50% money first, 50% after delivering? Additional penalty for every faulty Unit?

For Pandora 2, this would be possible, but it wouldn't have been possible with the Pandora 1.

The risk would've been WAY too high to get any investors.
Yes, it was mainly about the future, I know Pandora 1 was a huge learning curve and a valuable source for your experience in this whole thing. :)

There are MANY companies who died because they tried to start big right away.
True, and many companies die because they have to deal with such incpable amateurs like CC... <_<

I also think it's better to have a high price and a top quality, unique product. That is our future market.
Right, but one of the main problems of Pandora 1 was a high price and not really "top quality", which may be the main reason why many people complain. Many people would pay a high price if the quality is high, no doubt. But to get this, you first must have top quality. So it is essential that the Pandora 2 don't has problems like broken LCD cables, cracking cases with fitting problems and to thick paint and so on. These small things can make a huge difference in the way, how valuable a product "feels" ;) .

The Pandora1 was not a high cost device. That was the problem. We were promised everything by these cheap companies and we got shit from them.

We now know, essentially, you get what you pay for, unless you strike exceptionally lucky. There will always be stories of companies who went to China and cut their costs in half and got better quality etc. etc. but those are the exception, or simply not comparable products.

The Pandora2 will be using top quality parts right across the board, all made in the EU by companies either I or Ed can visit in person the same day. It's the only way.

The Pandora1 was not a high cost device. That was the problem. We were promised everything by these cheap companies and we got shit from them.

We now know, essentially, you get what you pay for, unless you strike exceptionally lucky. There will always be stories of companies who went to China and cut their costs in half and got better quality etc. etc. but those are the exception, or simply not comparable products.

The Pandora2 will be using top quality parts right across the board, all made in the EU by companies either I or Ed can visit in person the same day. It's the only way.

I highly agree.

I highly agree.

I highly agree.
i totally agree.

How about paying them after the Pandoras are built and tested, 50% money first, 50% after delivering? Additional penalty for every faulty Unit?

You think a company would do such a deal with a startup company which has a new product?

What if the product doesn't sell and the startup can't pay the remaining 50% because of that?

Or if the product has some design issues and doesn't properly work?

Do you think an assembly house would risk 10 Million EUR with a startup?

You think a company would do such a deal with a startup company which has a new product?

What if the product doesn't sell and the startup can't pay the remaining 50% because of that?

Or if the product has some design issues and doesn't properly work?

Do you think an assembly house would risk 10 Million EUR with a startup?

In a perfect world, everybody would get their money...., in this one people just want each others money.

Sadly if your a small company, everybody you do bussiness with grabs you by the balls and squeezes until you open your wallet.

It's too bad we can't all be in continuous loop on the development. If it were that openly designed, though, there'd be competitors beating it to market. I'd love to help beta-test this - but then so would 90% of the rest of the people who are active on this board.

It's too bad we can't all be in continuous loop on the development. If it were that openly designed, though, there'd be competitors beating it to market. I'd love to help beta-test this - but then so would 90% of the rest of the people who are active on this board.

Competitors don't care about this type of device, or we would have seen someone beat Pandora 1 to market in the time between when the design was public and it was actually released (a good 2 years)

Filling niches that no big companies care about is a good way to get a foothold on the market.

Trying to make another smartphone as a startup you'd have to compete and convince people why your phone is better.

With the Pandora I don't see any competition. Open software + Pocket size + Real controls +++ There's nothing else out there that qualifies as an open pocketsized laptop that I know of.

I have only had mine a few days and haven't gone anywhere with it yet. But I'll be really happy when I go somewhere and can get away with only wearing cargopants instead of having to lug around a bag for my laptop.

Back