Red Dead Redemption

I really like RDR so far. I think that Rockstar's engine suits this environment better then a big city. It's not perfect but it is quite a lot of fun. I heard that you cannot swim though (you die as soon as you get into the water) and that's just wrong. I wish they had borrowed some design cues from WOW, I'm constantly looking at the radar which kind of breaks the immersion. I also wish the camera was positioned higher, it's the same crap as in GTA4 where I can't really see where I'm going.

I would like to ask you PS3 people here (I bought a 360 because my friends all have 360s). Are your games antialiased? With good looking games like RDR the only thing that bugs me is the lack of antialiasing. I got a 1080p TV so it's not scaling down the rendered image either, which I guess could otherwise give a smoother look (not tried on a 720p TV so I really have no idea). Or you 360 people, any way to make the games look smoother?

Damn, I love RDR. It's GTA with a very successful Western theme. B) I didn't trust anyone to make a good Western game, not even Rockstar, but they pulled it off! They focused on all the right details, too: The horses, the other animals, the beautiful landscape, the trains, the random opportunities to be a hero... Also, this time you actually fight the bandits most of the time instead of being one of them. I'd like to see that in a modern day GTA as well! I was prepared for this game being good but it was actually perfect so I skipped most of univeristy this week... :rolleyes:

I hope they don't take too long making the PC version, this game looks/sounds awesome :(

second exodous said:
I feel old when I say this but I don't like overly violent games. I can't stand GTA, it's just made for random violence. I liked Postal because it was funny and I liked Oblivion because you could kill whoever you wanted but when the game is made to just go crazy and kill everyone, and like this game every thing, I don't like it. My nephew has the first one of these for the PS2, 'Red Dead Gun' or 'Red Dead' or something similar, and he just goes around killing random people or animals. Yeah, I'm just not into the intense violence. . .
1+

I'm sick of horrifically gory/violent games. A pretty good chunk of what's on the market is basically gore laden shovelware. I hate that.
I do, however, like non-linear games where you do what you want, I wish there were more!

Last edited by a moderator:
second exodous said:
I feel old when I say this but I don't like overly violent games. I can't stand GTA, it's just made for random violence. I liked Postal because it was funny and I liked Oblivion because you could kill whoever you wanted but when the game is made to just go crazy and kill everyone, and like this game every thing, I don't like it. My nephew has the first one of these for the PS2, 'Red Dead Gun' or 'Red Dead' or something similar, and he just goes around killing random people or animals. Yeah, I'm just not into the intense violence. . .

GTA or Read dead isn't MADE to kill anyone. Just because you can, doesn't mean you are encouraged to go round killing people whenever you fancy it.

It's a sandbox game, if they stopped you and said "Uh-uh-uh, you can't kill that man", it would be received very badly.

Awakening said:
I really like RDR so far. I think that Rockstar's engine suits this environment better then a big city. It's not perfect but it is quite a lot of fun. I heard that you cannot swim though (you die as soon as you get into the water) and that's just wrong. I wish they had borrowed some design cues from WOW, I'm constantly looking at the radar which kind of breaks the immersion. I also wish the camera was positioned higher, it's the same crap as in GTA4 where I can't really see where I'm going.

I would like to ask you PS3 people here (I bought a 360 because my friends all have 360s). Are your games antialiased? With good looking games like RDR the only thing that bugs me is the lack of antialiasing. I got a 1080p TV so it's not scaling down the rendered image either, which I guess could otherwise give a smoother look (not tried on a 720p TV so I really have no idea). Or you 360 people, any way to make the games look smoother?

I am not 100% sure, but I doubt that RDR is antialiased on the PS3 based on personal observation. I own the PS3 version, it looks pretty good but there are certainly much better looking PS3 titles around. Also, I believe that the PS3 version was ported from the 360 so things are often lost in translation (see Bayonetta for a good example of this).

As far as the game itself, I am enjoying it much more than the GTA series because I can decide if I want to be good or bad. I also really like the random events that occur around the game world while I'm riding around.

SONY said:
SONY PS3, mate.

360 sucks!!!
Hate to break it to you but the Xbox version runs in significantly higher resolution on the particular game.
The PS3 version runs at 640p. This is as opposed to the 360 version, which is said to run at full 720p with 2x antialiasing.

Waa Wa Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Good to know DaveC, perhaps I will pick this up for 360 instead.

Only reason I have a ps3 is so I can play MW2 with my PS3 owning mates. I have to say they really need to improve the voice chatting on the PS3, it sucks that I have to be playing in the exact same multiplayer game to talk to my mates. On the 360 I can talk to my mates at any time regardless of the game I or they are playing.

TylerAW said:
Unfortunately controlling the mount is insane and broken.
Have you never ridden a real horse? Lets just say the only reason people did ride horses back then is they didn't have other forms of transportation that didn't have a mind of it's own. Then again we do have Toyota. . .

Nova said:
second exodous said:

GTA or Read dead isn't MADE to kill anyone. Just because you can, doesn't mean you are encouraged to go round killing people whenever you fancy it.

It's a sandbox game, if they stopped you and said "Uh-uh-uh, you can't kill that man", it would be received very badly.
Yeah, I see your point, but go to a Lan house that has GTA and see what the kids(and adults) are doing in it, they aren't even following the story line, just killing random people.

Maybe I just don't like guns? I don't mind killing people with swords/magic. I don't do mindless killing like what is popular in these games though. I guess to each his own.

EDIT: Oops, double post, sorry about that.

Nova said:
second exodous said:

I know that, which is one of the reasons I really appreciate Mirror's Edge. It's not at all sanbox, but you can pick your own methods. I really like that.
But the trouble is with GTA/RDR, there's usually a lot more you can do as a villain than one of the 'good guys'. You don't have to run down the dark alleys to find trouble. It stares you in the face.

DaveC said:
SONY said:
SONY PS3, mate.

360 sucks!!!
Hate to break it to you but the Xbox version runs in significantly higher resolution on the particular game.
The PS3 version runs at 640p. This is as opposed to the 360 version, which is said to run at full 720p with 2x antialiasing.

Waa Wa Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Having played both games on the same 40" TV (my housemate has the 360 version and we also heard this), I can say that the difference is highly negligible. Basically the 360 version is the tiniest bit smoother. I personally prefer the sharpness of the PS3's picture if that makes any difference.

Nova said:
Having played both games on the same 40" TV (my housemate has the 360 version and we also heard this), I can say that the difference is highly negligible. Basically the 360 version is the tiniest bit smoother. I personally prefer the sharpness of the PS3's picture if that makes any difference.
I have neither but I'm looking closely at the PS3. I hear pretty much every game that is on both looks better on the PS3. It's not a fair comparison though, PS3 can do 1080p, comes from a company that makes high end audio and video equipment, and plays blu-rays. I just wish they didn't get rid of the other OS option. Oh well, maybe I'll wait for the Wii HD.

second exodous said:
Nova said:
I have neither but I'm looking closely at the PS3. I hear pretty much every game that is on both looks better on the PS3. It's not a fair comparison though, PS3 can do 1080p, comes from a company that makes high end audio and video equipment, and plays blu-rays. I just wish they didn't get rid of the other OS option. Oh well, maybe I'll wait for the Wii HD.

Not true, see Bayonetta for a good example of the 360 version looking better. I don't mean to rag on the PS3, I own a PS3 and not a 360 as a matter of fact, but you really need to take things game-by-game.

Nova said:
DaveC said:
SONY said:
SONY PS3, mate.

360 sucks!!!

Waa Wa Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

You prefer the sharpness of the PS3's picture? If it is running in lower resolution it is LESS sharp not more.

What you are seeing is either the difference in TVs and/or how they are hooked up/set. If the PS3 is connected through HDMI and the 360 through composite of course the PS3 would look better but that is not a sensible comparison.

I own both units, and they are hooked to the same HDTV. The Xbox is connected via VGA PC-input at 1:1 pixel mapping, and the PS3 with HDMI. It is definetly an apples to apples comparison. And guess what for RDR it isn't close the 360 version looks far superior. In fact most games that are on both look better on the 360 with very few exceptions.

second exodous said:
I have neither but I'm looking closely at the PS3. I hear pretty much every game that is on both looks better on the PS3. It's not a fair comparison though, PS3 can do 1080p, comes from a company that makes high end audio and video equipment, and plays blu-rays.

You hear? I think you are listening to fanbois. If you read sites with objective comparisons you will discover the opposite is true, most games look better on the Xbox and run at a higher resolution. Many PS3 games are running sub HD at lower than 720P.

By the way almost all PS3 games as well as 360 games run at 720P not 1080p and many don't even do that like RDR only running at 640P on PS3 or Alan Wake running at 540P on the 360. Developers are getting lazy.

Hey, if it makes a difference to you, that's fine. Youre probably a lot more anal than me about this. All I can say is that we used the hdmi cable for both and I saw little difference. I don't think you'll be seeing a massive discrepancy in visuals until you start nudging 50 inches.

Getting back to the subject of Red Dead Redemption, I heard there is some DLC coming out later this month. Does anyone know if it only has multiplayer content or will there be some single player missions as well?

second exodous said:
Nova said:
I hear pretty much every game that is on both looks better on the PS3.
Lol source?

Back