Raspberry Pi 3

I suggested using his phone but he's only taking a basic phone with him but needs access to his bank account to make money transfers.

You can make money transfers using a basic phone, and the bank's phone line FWIW. But you'd still need something running android or an x86 operating system to run skype, I believe, so I'm not sure that this gets you anywhere.

You're all preaching to the converted here guys.

I've tried to talk him into using his android phone as it has everything he needs in one place, he's even buying a local Pay as You Go SIM when he arrives.

But he says he has tried doing transfers using his phone as practice and the website isn't mobile friendly. Basically he has fingers like bananas so struggle with a touch screen (don't tell him I said that).
[doublepost=1487688786,1487688128][/doublepost]
Tell him to take his smartphone, he'll add too many complications and questions at border security..

Never thought of that, sounds like a very strong argument for taking just his phone.

Nothing worse than someone trying to feed you the proper inputs so that you will eventually just say what they want to hear. It can be infuriating.

Anyone using their Pi with an audio DAC?

Looking for any recommendations.

Do you need a DAC for a Pi3? It already has a 3.5mm jack.

That voltastream looks pretty nice, though you can do a cheaper version with a pi zero with a USB audio port

Do you need a DAC for a Pi3? It already has a 3.5mm jack.

I had the Pi set up to output audio via HDMI as it's plugged through amp to the TV.

I usually play music from it's original source (CD, Vinyl etc) but CD player died and I was looking at going the media player route (currently use one for videos)

Having listened to some music though it just doesn't seem as rich sounding (tested FLAC & WAV) so was wondering how these DACS compared.

I'm no audiophile but I do like to get the best sound I can within a reasonable budget.

I'm using an usb behringer audio device with S/PDI optical output direct to my amplifier. My cubietruck (similar too rpi3) has connected a harddisk by sata, cdrom, usb led display with remote control and this usb audio device and put it into small case. Running relaxx (mpd) audio player on it. I'm not very audiophile, but even i could hear difference between optical and normal audio connection.

Anyone used their Pi for a smart doorbell?

Looking round there are dozens of projects so wanting a personal recommendation.

I've been thinking about it, but never got around to putting anything together

Overkill is my middle name - especially when it comes to designing tech solutions.

Our last doorbell kept desyncing with the base unit inside so we just took the doorbell off... But my idea was to use a webcam pointing at the front door, write a simple motion detection program that captured when somebody moved in front of the door, and send network packets to notify me on my desktop/phone/etc. It also means you can't break/lose the doorbell, it can't desync, and the person at the door doesn't have to actually press it.

Overkill is my middle name - especially when it comes to designing tech solutions.

Our last doorbell kept desyncing with the base unit inside so we just took the doorbell off... But my idea was to use a webcam pointing at the front door, write a simple motion detection program that captured when somebody moved in front of the door, and send network packets to notify me on my desktop/phone/etc. It also means you can't break/lose the doorbell, it can't desync, and the person at the door doesn't have to actually press it.

or you could use a baby monitor... i see lots on our local facebook garage sale page... nah, RPi is much cooler..lol

I have one of these on a glassdoor : https://shop.pimoroni.de/products/octocam-pi-zero-w-project-kit

windowcam_1024x1024.jpg

work quite well until my WLAN desyncs with it ... crappy WLAN reception where it is

also you could put one of these in it : https://shop.pimoroni.de/collections/raspberry-pi/products/automation-phat

Back