Raspberry Pi 3

That's cool. Thanks for sharing that. I can't imagine it using much power/cycles but it is using a polling method which in my ideal world I would want to avoid. Understand that it does just work though.
No problems. I'm not sure how well this method would work as a gaming input, probably not very well (though I guess you wouldn't use the event system, and just have a thread in a constant loop checking and updating the keyboard state). I don't know what (if any) overhead the filesystem interface to the pins.

Pity about the protoboard. Although I've had trouble with buttons fitting on other protoboards (event breadboards) so maybe it's just a case that the buttons aren't meant to be used that way.
It was annoying, because they fit in the holes on every other prototyping board I have - and I'm pretty sure that they also fit in the holes on this board that are designed to connect to the Pi (but I can't remember for sure now, it was a while ago when I built them)

I could see that setup working with a bash script although it would be fiddly.
Could you construct a new keyboard and configure which keys are available from within a bash script? I suppose you could make some C tools to provide that function, but then if you're going down that route, you might as well do it all in C

Back