Rainy Day - Game Project

One of the tricks I did in one of my games was allow you to remap all the keys, and I created "virtual keycodes" for joysticks. Then when I added support for joysticks, I polled them seperately, and created key up/down events for the movement and button presses. Meant you can use all the same code for everything (including the button configuration screen), but handle multiple input methods

Also, depending on what gets connected, it might be a HID device like a keyboard, which sends letters anyway :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If the bt controller presents itself as a std joypad to SDL then button remapping will work. Currently it would have to be the control map file that is manually edited since I never finished my "Joypad remapper screen" for Penjin. Actual remapping is supported, though not user friendly.

Haven't done that much this weekend... Did some digital painting instead (I am an artist after all ;) ) But I just finished the chasing behavior, could use some more optimisation (it seems to cause a little bit of slow down) but it is working :) So apart from replacing some graphics and sounds the 3 basic monsters are done :D (still need to make them hurt you when you touch them but that should just be uncommenting some stuff in the Hero code)

Next thing I'll do is make the colour picking and shooting work :)

Haven't done that much this weekend... Did some digital painting instead (I am an artist after all ;) ) But I just finished the chasing behavior, could use some more optimisation (it seems to cause a little bit of slow down) but it is working :) So apart from replacing some graphics and sounds the 3 basic monsters are done :D (still need to make them hurt you when you touch them but that should just be uncommenting some stuff in the Hero code)

Next thing I'll do is make the colour picking and shooting work :)
Keep it up. We patiently and eagerly await the unveiling of your finished product.

@PokeParadox: I could do that but first I'll optimise it myself some more :) I have some unnecessary code in there to make the jellyfish go up and down which would be better to add just do in the spritesheet itself.

@Wrath of Khan: We will ;) Can't wait to show you guys some more footage. There's still a long way to go for the finished product though...

I just got 2 more spritesheets from Archibald :D The missing idle animation for the red monster and a new spinning/rotating version of the raindrop-token :)

Saw it too this weekend :D Really cool for sure :)

Would be really great if we managed to finish a new demo for the Pandora Rebirth. With that I mean the moment when new people have their (new) pandoras, not the competition. Well actually, can we enter the competition with a demo of a game that has been in development for a while? I wouldn't do it to win, just to set a new deadline for myself + always nice to get some public attention (motivation++) ;)

Would be really great if we managed to finish a new demo for the Pandora Rebirth. With that I mean the moment when new people have their (new) pandoras, not the competition. Well actually, can we enter the competition with a demo of a game that has been in development for a while? I wouldn't do it to win, just to set a new deadline for myself + always nice to get some public attention (motivation++) ;)
Unfortunately, there's a rule of no prior Pandora release, so probably not :(

Could always time it with Inside The Box issue 2, as you both are participating with it, you could use it to plug the new demo!

You mean rule number 4? it says:

The Pandora version of the entry must NOT be released to the public before the competition is over. You can release as many versions for other platforms as you like. It is also okay if there's an early Pandora version predating January 9th - but no further public releases should happen if you plan on entering.

That last alpha preview was released back in June, so...

Ah, good call. I forgot about that bit (and obviously didn't re-read it before posting), I just remembered something about no pre-release.

Go for it! ^_^

Even if it was allowed by the rules, I somehow wouldn't think of it as being fair to enter the competion with an existing demo, especially since it already won in a prior competion. And given the fact that I can currently not turn as much content as I could during the run up to the Alpha Preview, the new demo wouldn't look that much different from the players' perspective. I don't quite know when exactly this Pandora Rebirth thing is, but it would be cool to have a new demo out, just to celebrate the event.

Personally I'd love to push for vertical slice demo right now, get all the gameplay elements in, Get a few levels done, just to give people a nice chunk of the game, so they can get a real feel for it, rather than a limited tech demo. Not sure if a vertical slice could be finished in time, but its definitely the next big thing to aim for, I think.

"Just to celebrate the event" is fine by me too ;)

For the next demo I would like to have the first level completed. Including the intro and tutorial (the moth). Don't know if that'll be possible... Pandora Rebirth (competition deadline) is on March 31th.

Intro isn't vital to the gameplay. I would like to have it done for the vertical slice, but my time is better spent on creating the level art for the "gameplay demo" - let's call it that way, which would show off the full colour-picking based gameplay. I could for example also create the larger variant of the blue monster, which could only be killed with the colour-shooting technique.

Quite a while since the last post... again... :( Haven't done much... But working on making the colour beams at the moment :D

Just sent the level art for the next alpha demo (which will show off the core gameplay) over to Dragons_Slayer. Will be finishing more monster art/animation soon. :)

Received it and it looks fantastic :D Hopefully I have some time and motivation to finish the colour beam shooting this week :)

Here you go ;)

Screen1.png

Screen2.png

Back