Rainy Day - Game Project

Small update:

- Noticeable slow downs are fixed!

- Items work again (rewrote a bit of the code, now they can appear when breaking a container)

- You can shoot the colour pick beam with L, but it doesn't return to you yet, still working on that :)

Almost done with the rain splash effect (just need to make a better animation for it). After doing that I will do the monsters (also need to rewrite that a bit) :)

Good to hear that there's new progress. Will you be able to remap the controls or is that L key fixed?

Will you be able to remap the controls or is that L key fixed?

I'll make the controls customisable by including a Controls.cfg you can edit :) Shouldn't be that difficult :) Maybe I'll add ingame options for remapping it but of course that's not a priority right now :)

@Fusion_Power: I would love to show something but most changes aren't really visible on still images. But I will make a new video as soon as the monsters are working :)

@Dimacus: Thanks :D Motivation += 100; :p

Currently juggling some other (unrelated) projects as well as having a busy time at work, so that's why art output has been low on my side recently. But I did do some sketching for the intro story sequence. Will work on that soon (after creating some more GUI stuff to accomodate the color- stealing puzzle element) :)

Forgive me for not searching harder (read: at all) - has there been a release since the RIOT entry? :)

Nope... The next release will most likely be a one level demo, still a lot of work to do :)
One Level? Seems to be a complex task to make one Level of your game. Is it beacuse of the complex graphics or is it because of finding a nice Level design?

One Level? Seems to be a complex task to make one Level of your game. Is it beacuse of the complex graphics or is it because of finding a nice Level design?
I can't speak for this game, but usually the majority of the work is actually in the engine (ie the controls, rendering, logic etc.). You don't usually code each individual level. So it makes sense that there's lots of work getting the first level. Once the engine is up and running, things get a bit easier, and you then just create new level data that plugs into the same engine.

That said, decent level design can be just as much a ball-ache, but what I'm saying is you have to almost complete the game engine in it's entirity before you get a working game, however, you only need one level/map/world to try it

Last edited by a moderator:
What pmprog says is true :) At the moment I'm still working on the "engine" :) Getting all the gameplay stuff to work. The level itself isn't extremely difficult to put together but I want to do the other stuff first :)

As we are currently not working on the level yet we don't have an editor but it shouldn't be that difficult to make one :) But first the monsters :)

In other (unrelated) news I got a Caanoo now :D Will be looking into building Rainy Day for it, just to see how well it runs :)

Have you considered looking at Tiled? That's a very good level creation studio. It exports levels into an XML-like format, I believe, and then you can load the files. I believe a few premade loaders for C++ exist.

As we are currently not working on the level yet we don't have an editor but it shouldn't be that difficult to make one :) But first the monsters :)

In other (unrelated) news I got a Caanoo now :D Will be looking into building Rainy Day for it, just to see how well it runs :)
Don't underestimate how much work a level editor can be, it can be quite an enormous and challenging task, especially if you got a flexible game engine and want to support all of it.

Eventually to enable user-generated content I feel it is a must, but you are well-advised not starting with it ;)

Have you considered looking at Tiled? That's a very good level creation studio. It exports levels into an XML-like format, I believe, and then you can load the files. I believe a few premade loaders for C++ exist.
I can vouch for Tiled (we used it in Shizophrenia), but as far as I can tell Rainy Day is not made of tiles, but background images with a collision image overlay.

Back