Rainy Day - Game Project

Thank you very much :D

Well it's not about being unfair or not, as we showed you all there is right now... There are more level pieces as you have seen in a previous post but the level part you saw is the only finished one...

Development is going a bit slow but that's just because we we are both perfectionists :p we don't rush things. You could say the demo is perfect and we just need to make the level bigger and add more kinds of enemies but in my opinion there are still a lot of things missing. Here is a list of things that we plan to add:

- Music!!!

- New extended intro with images, text and ingame part inside house (instead of the one screen story)

- A different sound for every item you pick up. For the tokens the sound will reflect how much score its worth.

- Monsters will not just fall off the screen, they will fall to the ground, explode and maybe leave an item behind!

- Hero getting hurt will be tweaked, doesn't look that great in my opinion...

- Destructible crates and barrels in the levels. There can be items inside, or a monster... :p

- Going to add some rain splashes here and there to make it look as if the rain is really falling on the ground :)

- Some other stuff...

This is just a list of things that could have been included in this small part of the game :) Of course we also plan a a bigger level, more levels, more monsters and epic boss battles and so on :D

May I suggest a hero death animation, rather than the screen just going white? The sample does look amazing, it's just got too long to get into. If you're going to add an extended intro I would much prefer it if you could skip the messages at startup!

Ah yes, a hero death animation will sure be there instead of the thunderstruck, don't worry :)

The splash screen intro will be shorter as the 2 riotDigital screens will not be included in the final version :) And I'll make them skipable. Thanks for the feedback :D

just dropping by to say that this game will be amazing. i don't know where you found this archibald guy, but you need to give him a big thanks on behalf of this whole community, on the other hand, he's putting a lot of pressure on you to make this game as great as it looks. please don't stop working on it. and as far as music for the game goes, are you at all interested in seeking out another member for the project to only concentrate on the audio aspect of it?

Well, I don't have my Pandora with me today at work, but I've just played the demo on my PC and despite how limited the demo is, I've got to say, it's a thing of great beauty. Two thumbs up guys. I really hope the full version lives up to the promise of this demo. :)

Thi is a seriously beautiful looking game, let's hope the gameplay and story live up to the amazing visuals. But of course, no pressure :)

@Cinaed666, SONY, Sugarfix & moz: Thanks guys :D

@DaMummy: Thanks :D Don't worry about the pressure, I can handle it, I think :p

Just to make sure you won't be expecting things that will not be in this game, this is what the final game will be:

- A (simple) platformer. Jump, run, kill enemies, collect tokens (for score), reach the end of the level. Maybe we will include some puzzle elements (switches, keys, something more original?) But we'll see.

- There will be some dialogue(or monologue) from time to time.

- There will be 4 levels/worlds, each level ends with a boss.

- The first level is the city/town you already saw a small part of, the last one will be the Weather Wizards tower (2 more in between).

And about audio. Sound effects are easy, I'll be doing that myself (so I have something to do beside coding all the time :) ). For the music, well... We'll see. I'm a musician myself although I would never call me a composer. I'm going to try and see if I can do it and else I will be looking for 3th member :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ok well dont be afraid to ask for help, im sure theres plenty of people here who can be of help, and plenty of people who know people that can be of assistance

Sure :) Already got a lot of (programming related) help from the Pirate Team: PokeParadox, Foxblock and Markoez. THanks again guys :D

Looks very promising. Unfortunately, the alpha release isn't enough to justify a vote from me. Sorry!

Looks very promising. Unfortunately, the alpha release isn't enough to justify a vote from me. Sorry!

It's alright :) We didn't enter the compo to win, we could have just sent in nothing but as it's because of the compo (and its minimin 2 members rule) that this game exists (else I would've never asked Archibald for doing graphics) we thought "Let's just send in what we have." :)

I gotcha. Nothing to lose. And you've now got the publicity (and motivation) necessary to finish this game.

Also, you mention four levels; unless they're each going to be very lengthy, you're setting us all up for disappointment. I personally would concentrate on replay value if you wanna go that route. Maybe an extra mode or two, like a Time Attack?

Well, actually Rainy Day was always meant to be a short game (not as short as the preview ofcourse). I would like the levels to be about the length of Sonic 3 stages (I don't know if you ever played that game) with every level including a mini boss and final boss (Still have to get a reply from Archibald if he agrees).

Rainy Day is actually a "test" to see how well we get along to work on a game together :) We're not just making a game and then we stop, no! Finishing Rainy Day means time to think of something new, something bigger :D

One of the important reasons that Rainy Day will be a fairly small game in the end (think of the old shareware titles from back in the mid nineties as for the lenght of it) is that level design is art-based. So instead of piecing together a level from a tileset, the levels are actually giant pictures. They take a lot of time to put together, and I'm reluctant to engage another artist, as that will result in a stylistic mess.

Dragons_Slayer is making a good comparison with Sonic 3.

Four big levels, (possibly split in a couple of zones/areas for ease of construction and memory reasons) each with a mid-level mini boss, and a bigger level boss at the end.

This is of course a hobby project, and the both of us of course have other duties outside of this project as well, so we're looking at a timescale of many months before Rainy Day will be entirely finished. However, as level design progresses in a rather linear fashion (working on one level at a time), we are now aiming to finish the first "city" level as the next goal, so that we can offer you guys something more to play with. :)

If you're going to make the game short, can we have some extras to extend replay value, then?

Rainy Day is actually a "test" to see how well we get along to work on a game together :) We're not just making a game and then we stop, no! Finishing Rainy Day means time to think of something new, something bigger :D

we just want to know if its something for pandora

we just want to know if its something for pandora

You mean that "something new, something bigger"? Right now I would say "Yes of course! :D " and hopefully that won't change, but you never know...

Just made a "new" video :) Nothing new actually just a video of the Alpha Preview but for those who played the PC version can now see how (well) it runs on Pandora (at 600mhz) :D

https://www.youtube.com/embed/PwbmdkTST6s?feature=oembed

Back