Rainy Day - Game Project

SiegfriedCroes

Game Developer | Pixel Artist
- Rainy Day -

Genre: Side-Scrolling/Platform game

Graphical Style: Hand-painted (!)

Team: Dragons_Slayer(Code, Game Design, Audio), Archibald(Graphics, Art Design)

Engine: Penjin (by PokeParadox)

Platform: Pandora

- Story / Setting -

The Game takes place in a (fantasy) world where the weather is controlled by the (good) "Weather Wizard". Everything is fine until one day the Wizard becomes ill... An evil monster bacteria has taken over the wizard's Weather Tower and it has been raining since... Someone has defeat this evil creature and cure the wizard... Who has the courage, who will save our world?

You of course! As the son of a doctor/professor, wielding your trusty umbrella you'll have to make your way to the tower, defeat the evil bacteria, cure the wizard and make an end to the rainfall!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Currently we have a working player-techdemo. Walking, jumping/falling and attacking + collision using B&W mask works. Also wrote a "Textbox Draw System" (which draws text letter by letter) for ingame dialogues. Now working on level-pat switching code.

In terms of art, Archibald already did the designs for the main character/hero and the wizard's tower.

-----------------------------------------------------------

That's all for now, leave a comment if you like and stay tuned :)

char_concept_sheet.jpg

weather_tower_concept_sheet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys :D And for those who think they're screwed: remember a game is not only about graphics, it's also about gameplay and the fun factor :) so don't feel screwed, keep on working on your games and start a topic too, I really want to see what everyone is working on :D

I agree, a good game can have very basic graphics.

But I hope you'll go the "Braid way" : good looking game with great gameplay!
wink.gif

From the artworks, the good looking side is done
laugh.gif

I surrender. :blink:

No, just kidding. I hope, I will get your game for the gp2x (the only openhandheld I own) or at least for my Linux PC. :)

@KodeIn: It sure will look like Braid :D now I hope I will be able to get the gameplay right :)

@Caine & PokeParadox: Thank you very much :D

@Ziz: I don't know if it will work on a gp2x... But ofcourse it will on Linux (and Windows) :)

----------------------------------------------------

Wrote a level-part-switching system yesterday (with fade out/in effect) :) I hope everything will work fine on Pandora (if only I had mine already to test it)... I'm actually more of an artist but learned some programming at school and really love doing it. Because of that my code isn't always that optimised...

Well, Whatever :p If it needs testing I'll sure find someone with a Pandora to do it for me :)

Surrendering will not be tolerated and the management of RIOT digital wants to let you know that every team fleeing from the front-line will be have to sleep on the porch tonight!

But seriously now, I hope this just inspires other teams to put some extra effort in their projects as competition will be tough (though good artwork is never an indicator for a good game, it merely is an indicator for good artwork - Epic Mickey had awesome artwork, now see how that turned out :p ).

The artwork however IS gorgeous, but I want to see some gameplay before I whip out the white flag (which I won't!).

foxblock out

@Ziz: I don't know if it will work on a gp2x... But ofcourse it will on Linux (and Windows) :)
Since you are using Penjin it would be easy to compile for GP2X... but you would have to rework the resolution of the artwork for a 320x240 screen.

Penjin will already map your Pandora controls to GP2X controls without changing any Penjin code.

That's a multi platform / handheld contest, I hope, it is not just for the pandora and it's resolution. :mellow:

I don't like anything else, so IMHO I hope it is (and it should only be) Pandora exclusive.
Why do you hope, that owners of other consoles are not able to play the game. Sounds a bit egoistic. :mellow: I think, you don't get the spirit of the contest...

Pandora is my LIIIIIIIIFFFFFEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111one11111111111111111111111111111111

Back