Quick video of the case

If a second screen is desired, then buying a second hand DS would probably be cheaper (and more convenient) than somehow adding a second screen to Pyra. That's what I meant.

IMO, some compromise is always needed when playing games via emulation.
It would be more cheaper and convenient then just buying the Pyra? :huh:
Adding a second screen where you proposed would probably increase cost of Pyra by more than $30 (keep in mind, it's not just the cost of the LCD) which is the cost of a DS nowdays.

Also that screen would be much smaller than a regular DS screen, even if it were possible to get the right resolution. It also sits in between the nubs and above the keyboard. I think it wouldn't be very convenient at all.

Finally, that screen would need to replace the buttons which are there. A big part of what Pandora is and what Pyra will be is that physical buttons >>> touchscreen.

Probably the only plus would be using that screen to display status/activity of various things (ie. battery, SD cards, Wifi, 3G, etc).
The screen will only cover the nubs and the keyboard, not the physical Dpad and the physical action buttons.  You still have physical controls. DS doesn't use analog sticks.

The screen will only cover the nubs and the keyboard, not the physical Dpad and the physical action buttons.  You still have physical controls. DS doesn't use analog sticks.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Natsu's suggestion was to put a screen between the nubs, not to replace the nubs and keyboard w/ a screen.

EDIT: Just saw what you were talking about. However, my point still stands. Yoyobuae was responding to Natsu's suggestion, which did not involve covering the nubs and keyboard.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, it wasn't a real suggestion anyway...

Last response for the sake of it. I think. lol

That screen has a lower resolution than a DS screen. How do you propose lowering the screen's resolution to a larger resolution?

-God Ginrai
So there's no way to have a screen at a lower resolution. (At the absence of quality?)

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Natsu's suggestion was to put a screen between the nubs, not to replace the nubs and keyboard w/ a screen.

-God Ginrai
Yeah, I'm not saying get rid of the keys and nubs.

Adding a second screen where you proposed would probably increase cost of Pyra by more than $30 (keep in mind, it's not just the cost of the LCD) which is the cost of a DS nowdays.
At least you wouldn't need to carry both, if you want a top and bottom screen.

Also that screen would be much smaller than a regular DS screen, even if it were possible to get the right resolution. It also sits in between the nubs and above the keyboard. I think it wouldn't be very convenient at all.
If this is the real deal and it fits, then that's pretty close. Give you full screen for the top.

Finally, that screen would need to replace the buttons which are there. A big part of what Pandora is and what Pyra will be is that physical buttons >>> touchscreen.
There's already "100" buttons. Another touchscreen in place isn't going to hurt. :lol:

Probably the only plus would be using that screen to display status/activity of various things (ie. battery, SD cards, Wifi, 3G, etc).
DS, more icons/buttons, touchpad and multitasking programs.
(Search the web and watch a video at the same time.)

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Natsu's suggestion was to put a screen between the nubs, not to replace the nubs and keyboard w/ a screen
Two totally different things were being discussed here, and it looks like you're not the only one who confused them.

1) Natsu wanted a second screen as part of the Pyra, in between the nubs

2) Shenmue wanted an optional add-on screen that you place on top of the nubs and part of the keyboard

They were both distinct requests. I don't think Shenmue's is totally out of the question, but I also don't think it's something ED should make. The only question is if there's any reasonable way for a third-party add-on to connect a second screen to the Pyra. But this isn't really a discussion that should involve case design.

2) Shenmue wanted an optional add-on screen that you place on top of the nubs and part of the keyboard
That seems like a hassle. You would have to carry the screen separately. How would it stay inplace? In this case, you might as well get a DS. :p

That seems like a hassle. You would have to carry the screen separately. How would it stay in
place? 
The snap-on connector with some additional locking mechanisms can hold it in place.  And please stop telling people to get a real DS to play DS game.  Look how DraStic does so well on Playstore because people like emulation.

dual_screens.jpg

Problem solved! :D

The topmost screen can either fold down and then both screens fold onto the keyboard base into a clamshell. Or it can fold backwards to sit on the outside to be used as a phone/tablet. The speakers issue is automatically fixed also, since the smaller middle screen easily fits them.

It's brilliant I tell you. B)

If anyone's actually serious about doing a second screen add-on it should be done for Pandora first. And someone should start a new thread for it instead of talking about it here. And no, don't expect ED to get involved.

If anyone's actually serious about doing a second screen add-on it should be done for Pandora first. And someone should start a new thread for it instead of talking about it here. And no, don't expect ED to get involved.
I've tried but failed miserably.  Maybe I'll give it another try when I feel like it again :)

I'm talking about starting a thread for a DIY mod for adding a second screen on top of Pandora/Pyra, maybe that'd be less likely to be flamed than your ideas for handhelds with two native screens :p

Where is the HDMI out port? If not, how would I connect this to my TV?

Back