Quartz news

stickofjoy

screen mock up, click for more info:

Just so you can see how our Qix clone is progressing. The engine is coming along nicely with water and sand working as they should. Player control is solid and more importantly the action is fast (even on the GeePee32 emulator)! :ph34r:

I am about half way through drawing the graphics. It look like it's going to look, sound and play fun! B)

Any thoughts appreciated...

BFG and stickofjoy,
Crossover Dev

davey g posted on Jul 9 2003 said:
Looks good but what do u do in it?
The concept is similar to Qix:

qix.gif

In an exceedingly abstract and addictive game, you are a marker, trying to claim as much of the playing field as you can by enclosing areas of it. Drawing your boundaries faster is safer, but yields fewer points. A slower draw, which leaves you vulnerable to attack from the Qix and the Sparx, gives you many more points upon the completion of an enclosed area. If the ever-shifting Qix touches your marker or an uncompleted boundary you are drawing, you lose a "life" and start again. And the Sparx, which travel only along the edges of the playing field and along the boundaries of areas of the screen you've already enclosed, can destroy you by touching your marker. And if you linger too long, a fuse will begin burning at the beginning of your unfinished boundary, and will eventually catch up with you. (Gottlieb/Mylstar, 1982)
Have a read of this page:

http://www.thelogbook.com/phosphor/qix.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to playing this when its done,

I remember changing all the backgrounds to rude ones when I was a kid, lets hope I have grown up :D

Looking forward to your game very much ! (I love Qix).

I like the water and sand theme (very summery !).

Will there be a high score save feature ?

This is just an idea, but would it be possible to add our own background pictures to the game ? eg: our own personal photos.

The above is only a small (and insignificant) suggestion as your game looks great !

Good Luck. :D

Betty 2001 posted on Jul 9 2003 said:
This is just an idea, but would it be possible to add our own background pictures to the game ? eg: our own personal photos.
I love Qix, and having the right background makes you play all that much harder ;) ;) ;)

Swiss_Cheeseman posted on Jul 9 2003 said:
the crab looks sad

poor crab =(
You're treading on it's sand, man!

I agree that Qix is an under-appreciated classic. I have a story to tell about it, I'll type it up tomorrow. ;)

Swiss_Cheeseman posted on Jul 9 2003 said:
the crab looks sad

poor crab =(
or mad....

fear the evil crab!!!!!

Qix, the c64 version (sometimes called Stix), is one of my fav GP32 time sinks. A colourful GP native version would take it's place in 0 seconds flat. WTG! :D

Back