Ultimate Qix [gen]

AXNJAXN

Website
axnjaxn.blogspot.com
About a year or two ago I played a clone of Qix, which at the time seemed like an interesting concept (although the clone was ruined by low-quality gameplay and graphics). After a little research on the game, I heard about Qix and that it was supposed to be pretty good as far as arcade games go. I didn't ever bother downloading it, though, because I figured it would be quite similar to the game I had been playing, which was not a very good game at all.

Then, a couple of weeks before this review was written, I dug through the Genesis games I had obtained, and among them was a copy of Ultimate Qix. I figured it was some sort of uber-game, since it had the word "ultimate" in it, so I gave it a shot and was pleasantly surprised. Even now, having compared it to many different variations including its arcade predecessors, Ultimate Qix still stands out to me as being the best of them all. Sure, the monsters are different and the Sparx that tormented the original are gone, but I think that this version outshines any other variation on the game I've come to know and love.

Screens
ultimateqixss2qp.gif
ultimateqixgs7id.gif
image30ul.jpg

PREMISE:
While you were out, aliens came to your planet. When you returned, you found the place swarming with the lil' buggers, and it's (once again) up to you to set things straight.

FEATURES:

Ultimate Qix is quite a departure from the original arcade game, Qix. The namesake Qix (screensaver-looking trails of lines) are replaced by cooler aliens of all shapes and sizes. Nevertheless, the feel of the original is alive and well in this spinoff. The goal of each level is to capture eighty percent of the game area through lines drawn across the field of play. Enemies who collide with the line kill you. Simple.

There are three modes of play, labelled "A MODE", "B MODE", and "C MODE". The first two are similar, and the thrid is time attack. Powerups include speed-ups, extra lives, and several obscure score-related and enemy-affecting modifiers.

GRAPHICS (4.5/5):

I can't see how it could have been improved upon, really. Sprites have an arcade-like look to them, sharp and smooth. They aren't perfect, but there are no visible flaws and any kind of improvement would be unnoticeable.

The enemies are detailed and interesting, ranging from the sectioned worm of stage one to strange shapes and designs, such as giant robotic hands and insects.

SOUND (1.5/5):

The comparison to the sounds of arcade Qix is inevitable. The only reason the sound has any value is its arcade roots.

Unfortunately, that comparison is not good for a genesis game, capable of much better.

The Stix (drawing a line) noises are grating, the explosions are overused samples, and then there's the music - it's a series of repeating beeps in lieu of an actual score. All this leads me to mute the noise when I play it. Sorry, it's just flat out terrible.

PLAYABILITY (4.5/5):

The controls are simple and clean. Animation is fluid. The play is difficult at first, but as you develop a strategy, the gameplay becomes more addictive and fun to play.

On DrMD, no sound, (it won't be missed) at 160 mHz, Ultimate Qix plays at a seamless 60FPS. With the default sound settings at 164 mHz, you still come out with a good 45FPS. Either way, the gameplay retains its enjoyability.

The only possible problem on the GP32 is a control issue: it's very easy to make an accidental turn while drawing stix. It's not a big problem and the player can get used to it quickly.

OVERALL (12.5/15):

I bumped up the score by one point in the end because this game is addictive. I still can't put it down. The strategy factor and the reflex factor work together to create an entirely enjoyable experience here. Of all the variations of Qix, this one's the best. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys arcade games with a taste of strategy.

There are several versions of Qix that are playable on gpMame. All of these are quite good. My favourite all time Qix port has to be the Arcade game "Miss World '96". Qix and Naked chicks. Qix at its best!!

:)

I was screwing around with MAME on my XBox the other day and I came across an interesting Qix clone. Check it out, sometime, if you want to try a new twist on the old Qix standard.

Panic Street

I don't think you'll be running it on the GP32, though.

Sorry about the broken images in the review, that's fixed now.

Flavor:
I tried panic street out and it seems to be pretty good, albeit pretty tough. The difficulty level in the clones of Qix usually exceeds the original and does't tend to take as long to build up.

This game is also called "Volfiev" and is available as that name on the Megadrive \Genesis and on Mame (i doubt gp32 mame would run the arcade version tho) My girlfriend and myself are both big fans of these Qix style games.

On the c64, try "Zolyx" (a very playable Qix clone) it was a favourite of mine back in the day.

when ever I view this review it asks me to long into
www.digikitten.com
The Kitten Testing Plant

On TOpic: yeah the mame games are pretty fun but I suck at it :(

Back