Opinions And Things I Didn't See In Faqs...

gohmifune

Still Fresh
I'm a prospective buyer and so far I really want one of these. I have a lot of practical uses, primarily DIVX and XVID vids, something to play Waku Waku 7 and Kizuna Encounter on, as well as something proofread text with. So I have quesitons.

I know it's an 8 way joystick, but is it still analong like say, the NGPC or PSP/2 sticks are, ie I can do 360 movement even if I can only move in 8 directions?

Also, how's the NeoGeo play. An opinion, I checked the 2x wiki, and it looks good from here, but resolution, and actual fun factor etc. Someone give me an opinion? Scanlines? Has anyone gotten KOF 2003 to play very well?

How's video playback....really. I'm hearing complaints, and I'm hearing praise. Space isn't an issue, I'll prolly get a 2 gig or 4 gig(if compatible) card, an episode of a tv show is only 175-350 megs, not that big a deal if its not long term storage. And does video with a higher res look odd shrunken down? And is there aspect ratio control in the native player?

Also, how does video translate to the television, and how do hardsubs look on both the small screen and the large screen?

Most importantly, text support. Is there a solid text reader built it? What about for RTF and possibly word files? RTF being the most important. How well does it look, I would love to use this for proofreading purposes as well as games and vids.

OK, that's it, can someone help me out with their thoughts on these? Thanks in advance.

the joystick is digital 8 way, DIGITAL, not analog.

I dunno about Neogeo, never touched neogeo stuff b4.

the movie player for me is excellent, no compression is really a great idea, the aspect ratio justs gets calculated by the gp2x i guess, i put on a slightly wider than normal .avi and it just bordered it at the top and bottom.

On the television is looks good, the menus look crap as hell, but the movies play at 640*320 and the emulatiors look good,

The text reader is okay, itll be updated soon caz its pretty shabby ( i dont think they worked on that much ). ive only tryed .txt files but i think .rtf should work.

gohmifune posted on Mar 17 2006 at 01:30 PM said:
I know it's an 8 way joystick, but is it still analong like say, the NGPC or PSP/2 sticks are, ie I can do 360 movement even if I can only move in 8 directions?
You can do 360 degree movement, but it is NOT analogue! It is digital, meaning it has little switches that it sets off as it moves a certain direction. I think that the NGPC joystick is digital as well, so they are very similar. However, the PS2 stick is analogue, so it is not the same.

The videoplayback has played divx and xvids for me very well, although the 1.21 firmware seems to have some audio/video synchronization problems.... I heard that these were fixed in the newest firmware.

I haven' t tested the text reader much, but from what I can tell it just reads your basic .txt files and it doesn't really have many feaures. You just scroll through the text.....

Last edited by a moderator:
NeoGeo is really good at the moment although it may need a little overclocking to get full speed on some games.

Thanks for the responses guys.

The overclocking is easy I take it?

And where's the best place to get one, preferably in the continental US.

Compression doesnt take much time, and usually 200meg anime turns into 40-50megs...

Back