Quake Graphics Are Bad...

Lupin

Website
www.ergwow.com
I think im doing something wrong, cause when I play Quake the graphics look worse then if duke nukem 3d was turned on low, wich doesnt make since, cause we can play Duke 3d on high. Am I missing a setting or maybe something in the Config? TIA

Shikaku posted on Oct 1 2006 at 03:37 AM said:

So what was the point of that shit post?

Anyway, I've not had any problems with Quake's graphics being bad. (Or worse than they should be, anyway)

Does it look like this? If it does, then that is how it is supposed to look, and I'm not sure how that looks worse than Duke3D.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah but i could of sworn to god it looked a lot better on my XBOX and PSP... Cause on the GP2X i cant see alot of things in front of me or make out exactly what they are... maybe the GFX where upped on the XBOX but I doubt they where on the PSP oh well thx for 2 good responses...

Shikaku, watch it, or you may find yourself "On Notice"

Anhaedra posted on Oct 1 2006 at 12:27 AM said:

Anyway, I've not had any problems with Quake's graphics being bad. (Or worse than they should be, anyway)

Does it look like this? If it does, then that is how it is supposed to look, and I'm not sure how that looks worse than Duke3D.

I said that because I knew the GP2X's 3D capability anyway: basically next to none. They are supposed to look really bad because of this.

Quakes graphics don't look bad, they look exactly as they did in '96. If you're expecting them to look different then it's because it's no longer '96 and most systems these days can run quake much higher than 320x240 and at full detail instead of default. Change the quality settings on the gp2x and you'll see how great it can look, but it will become unplayable.

Lupin posted on Oct 1 2006 at 04:34 AM said:
*snip*

Haha, O RLY? And how would you do that?

No wonder it looks better on your Xbox and psp, they have greater power and graphical abilities. Also, Quake renders polygons, Duke3d Sprites. That might leave the impression that quake actually looks blocky or something.

Possibly the fact that xbox can hardware render the engine? (not sure antianalsying thingy majig used to get rid of poly jaggy edges) Quake is much darker than duke therefore it is harder to see things in a distance esp on a smaller screen and res. I've always felt that tvs tend to blur the image displayed on them slightly, guess its blending to make the image look better.

duke looks better than quake?... less polys less jaggies mebe duke uses higher pixel count in the textures dunno.

Cervante posted on Oct 1 2006 at 03:46 AM said:
I hate them zombies :/ never die or something
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

use the grenadelauncher or rocketlauncher

Lupin posted on Oct 1 2006 at 05:34 AM said:
yeah but i could of sworn to god it looked a lot better on my XBOX and PSP... Cause on the GP2X i cant see alot of things in front of me or make out exactly what they are... maybe the GFX where upped on the XBOX but I doubt they where on the PSP oh well thx for 2 good responses...

You just answered yur own question with that remark.

Both the PSP and XBox have dedicated GPUs (GFX hardware). They apply filters to 3D GFX to make them look smoother. bi/tril-linear filtering, mip-mapping... Also as said before they are most probabyly renderring the Quake engine at a higher resolution.

Cervante posted on Oct 1 2006 at 05:46 AM said:
looks like quake to me...I just played this thing on TV out..pretty sweet I hate them zombies :/ never die or something

You have to blow up the zombies ;)

Shikaku posted on Oct 1 2006 at 04:45 AM said:
Anhaedra posted on Oct 1 2006 at 12:27 AM said:

I said that because I knew the GP2X's 3D capability anyway: basically next to none. They are supposed to look really bad because of this.

I wouldn't say next to none, with a good software rendering engine the GP2X should be able to pull off about playstation level graphics. It already does with Quake anyway. Good graphics obviously aren't the main goal of the GP2X anyway, otherwise GPH would have included a 3D accelerator...

Cervante posted on Oct 1 2006 at 03:46 AM said:
looks like quake to me...I just played this thing on TV out..pretty sweet I hate them zombies :/ never die or something

Hehe... Haven't played Quake before, have you?

so im right that this does look worse then Quake right? After everyones post Id thought I had lost my mind and almost went out to get Quake for PC again

Lupin posted on Oct 2 2006 at 04:14 AM said:
so im right that this does look worse then Quake right? After everyones post Id thought I had lost my mind and almost went out to get Quake for PC again

No it doesn't look worse than Quake, it only looks worse than quake on Xbox with antialiasing, trilinear filtering, high resolutions, etc...

hmm I guess but if the resolution is the issue, then why does Duke 3d look better. Shouldnt it suffer from the same thing?

Lupin posted on Oct 2 2006 at 06:33 AM said:
hmm I guess but if the resolution is the issue, then why does Duke 3d look better. Shouldnt it suffer from the same thing?

Eh... Are you trying to say that this looks better than this? If so, I must disagree. One is actually running on a real 3D engine, the other is not, for one reason... But if Quake seriously looks worse than Duke 3D, perhaps something is wrong with your install of Quake, or your GP2X. :blink:

that duke 3d has quality turned on low. and yes, i will say on the GP2X install I have duke 3d looks better then Quake. I dont have the ability to take screen shots of it (no tv out or serial or a digi cam)
Maybe its just cause Duke 3d is running at a higher resolution cause its ported better (easier simpler game) and Quake since it runs as you stated a real 3d engine is harder and running at a lower resolution idk.

Both Duke and Quake are running at 320x240 which is the same as when they were originally released. As I've already said, they both look exactly the same as they did back in the 90s. The engines are completely different so of course they will look different to each other, and which one looks better than the other is down to you. I personally think Quake looks better, but I can also see why you might like the look of Duke more.

i think Duke looks better to me on that small screen cause you dont notice where the devlopers cut corners as much. Where as Quake was pretty much pioneering a new front, and just doesnt compete to me. The enemies and the gun you hold look better on Quake, but draw distance and enviroment doesnt. To me at least.

Back