Quake Graphics Are Bad...

atleast duke nukem has a story line, quake I dunno who I am & where I come from. All I know is I have to progress through these death traps & kick some behinds

I think GP2X could display some 'decent' 3d if someone would design a 3d-library that is optimized for the GP2X and uses all the hardware it can (maybe the co-proc?)

duke nukem 3d is the better game as far as gameplay imho. it has more diverse gameplay and the item system is nice to me.

Lupin posted on Oct 2 2006 at 11:10 AM said:
duke nukem 3d is the better game as far as gameplay imho. it has more diverse gameplay and the item system is nice to me.

So you mean...gameplay as in... naked strippers?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes naked strippers net an instant 7/10 in my book. And when they flash you and shake the tassles on their nipples it goes up to a 9/10. Screw that noise, stippers isnt all it has. The game has a lot of better aspects. Level desgin to me at least is far superior as they are larger and more complex. Quake is a run and gun and so is Duke Nukem 3d, but it does slow down every now and then. Quake is just shoot everything and run through the arc. But really its just an opion.

Cervante posted on Oct 2 2006 at 02:28 PM said:
atleast duke nukem has a story line, quake I dunno who I am & where I come from. All I know is I have to progress through these death traps & kick some behinds
Quake has a storyline, you would know if you woulnd´t have pirated the game. Also its being told after the bossbattles.

Last edited by a moderator:
You think im gonna sit there and read through all of that stuff?.. I skip everything and start kicking ass.. I like the story to be told as I play the game, like duke nukem..

Duke nukem was flying on a red spaceship and aliens shot his ride, so he must kick all their asses, then it turns out that they were invading earth and duke nukem must do everything within his power to kick alien ass and save all the chiks...now thats a story line. Better than demons from hell and what not..

Although both the Original Quake and DN3D on the PC were rendered in software, one of the huge differences between Quake and Duke, was that Duke was not really 100% true 3D. I say this in the way that Duke still used sprites for lots of things such as the wee baddies, weapons and various items. Quake on the other hand rendered the lot, everything on screen was a true 3D object and that's why Quake requires more power to run.

You can see what I mean about sprites by comparing the following: In Duke 3D, look at something you can pick up such as a weapon, you will see it always faces you. In Quake you can walk around them properly. Mind you, the original Quake on the PC allowed you to run it in different resolutions so it might have looked a bit better than on the GP2X screen. There is an option on the GP2X Quake called "Double Size" Make sure this is set to off, or things will look really blocky.

Comparing the GP2X Quake to the X-Box or PSP or even newer ports of Quake on the PC such as GL-Quake isn't really fair, as the newer ports are using 3D hardware and not rendering it in software. On newer ports you're getting not only higher resolutions, but better lighting and atmosphere effects, it's bound to look better. What you're getting on the GP2X is the original Quake as it was released on the PC, and to be honest, it runs a lot smoother on the 2X than on my old PC when I first got Quake, especially if you overclock the 2X.

Back