Quake 3

icurafu said:
OpenUT is not the Unreal source code.
I didn't mean to imply it was, but if it is working Unreal Engine compatible source code, then it meets the requirements on my original post. I was looking for Unreal on the Pandora, I never said I was looking for the original source code.

I did see however, that the Unreal Tournament code has been released in may sources when I googled it.

Your post seems disingenuous, if you were reading what I posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
BackAssward said:
I did see however, that the Unreal Tournament code has been released in may sources when I googled it.

If I remember correctly it's just some parts that has been release, we looked in to this earlier in another thread and found that the source wasn't really open, just the parts needed for modding not the core I think it was and that hinders porting it from x86 to ARM. =/

What I meant to say is that, OpenUT is only to help UT modders.

It's not like you would imagine with a bunch of people receiving the UT sourcecode and making it portable.

But, maybe things have changed since the last 2 years. I just don't want to research it just because you can't be bothered to do more than a quick google.

icurafu said:

It's not like you would imagine with a bunch of people receiving the UT sourcecode and making it portable.

But, maybe things have changed since the last 2 years. I just don't want to research it just because you can't be bothered to do more than a quick google.
I did do more than a quick google (and your assumption that that's all I did says a lot), and do not recall ever asking you to do any research, so I'm not sure where your antagonism is coming from. Perhaps you are simply a disagreeable fellow. As for the google search, my main problem is identifying a result that has everything we need. Clearly this isn't an ARM port, but then, neither was Quake III when it was opened.

At this stage, I doubt we'll see an Unreal port at all, with attitudes as lovely as yours not being the only reason why not.

icurafu said:
Come on icurafu, Is there really any reason for such a harsh response ?.

Trooper

I'm not trying to be disagreeable, but I just don't suffer fools easily. Particualy in the Dev forum where people should know better.

If you did some more research than a quick google for "UT opensource", you would know that Epic released the source to the graphics and sound, but left the rest as header files so that the original DLL could be used when compiling using a very defined environment.

The unreal and full UT source code are not released. Actually, it's hard to confirm this. I could not find a link other than a few places in gp32x or reading the sourcecode myself. It's probably my fault for overstating the ease at which you should be able to find this information. I'm sorry for jumping up and down about this. You obviously really want Unreal on the Pandora, and posting links you found with google on the Pandora developer forum was obviously the easiest way to get it.

Getting back to the topic of applauding Tom Cooksey on his Q3A port.

icurafu said:

BackAssward said:
icurafu said:

I did do more than a quick google (and your assumption that that's all I did says a lot), and do not recall ever asking you to do any research, so I'm not sure where your antagonism is coming from. Perhaps you are simply a disagreeable fellow. As for the google search, my main problem is identifying a result that has everything we need. Clearly this isn't an ARM port, but then, neither was Quake III when it was opened.

At this stage, I doubt we'll see an Unreal port at all, with attitudes as lovely as yours not being the only reason why not.

Now, Now, let's not raise tensions over something that is not even about the topic at hand.

And also, BackAssward, you're mad that he accused you of doing a quick google search, but you really have no right to be mad if you can't even do a quick outing with the search function of these forums

I just typed "Unreal" into the keyword search at the bottom of the first page of the Dev forum, and found this topic which should answer your questions: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...2&hl=unreal

I already knew the topic existed because I had read it before, but that doesn't mean that the search function would not have turned it up if I hadn't read it.

Both of you, simmer down. And BackAssward, have a look at that topic.

EDIT: I'd suggest especially looking at Julius' post in that topic.

EDIT2: Tom Cooksey, I'll look forward to that Q3 port.

-God Ginrai

icurafu said:
I'm not trying to be disagreeable, but I just don't suffer fools easily.
So, you're not trying to be disagreeable, but I am instantly a fool because you say so...

Yes, I did not search for another topic on the subject, since it was simply a footnote in a thread on an engine requiring similar HW needs. I certainly did not do anything to incite the negativity I received and my slight note was no thread jack.

I am not the problem here, and if someone is overly full of themselves, I will take no blame for it.

/Seriously, take a pill and find some purpose other than thread trolling.
//Boxing is a nice way to blow off steam, if being an internet prick is your first choice.

For the record: I am employed technically in the software industry creating specs and leading development teams. I have been a programmer, though not for Linux or the ARM architecture (hence my post about not completely knowing what we needed to port Unreal. E.g. if the source available was enough). Given there is a Linux version and some open source code, to call me a fool over simply asking about it... that says a lot about your character.

I don't know why you act superior and as a detractor and instigator. This is a project about common desires and goals, being constructive and adding to the whole, not finding a reason to act as a prick and pulling people down... For shame.

Edit so as not to bump: No, it's not an apology to me if I'm called a fool in it. No, I did not want to thread jack this but someone picked a fight. To say I shouldn't defend myself and ignore an attack, is clear favoritism. When someone needlessly belittles someone, they are the problem, not the person defending themselves. No I didn't search the forums, as it was originally an excited footnote until someone else made it an issue. Before someone attacks my credentials in the software industry: No I do not currently code, that's for the developers, I work at the object and functional level, and rely on coders to answer code questions. Why is the target of unneeded antagonism (and someone who defends themselves) considered the one in the wrong? Chip, I thought you got it 100% right, until now.

BackAssward said:
I am not the problem here, and if someone is overly full of themselves, I will take no blame for it.
Actually, now you are. Icurafu apologized and tried to move on, so now it's up to you to stop looking for things get get offended over and let the thread get back on topic.

@Chip you have to admit though icarafu's apology was weak (practically an insult in itself).... i mean he said fool in it ... point is neither of them should have started it in the first place

Personally i post here sometimes when I am rather tired...(probably need to stop that) and end up saying something i didn't exactly mean or is not technically absolutely true... then there ends up a 10 post long trail after it... that is't nice at all to find the next morning when you wake up mostly people just need to learn how to be polite and chil out...<sarcasm> otherwise you might turn into a pandora nazi (just like the GPL nazi forums terrorist group ) </sarcasm>

quadomatic said:
A quake 3 port would be greatly appreciated. Once the port is complete, will it be difficult to get mods like World of Padman working (just wondering)?
If ioquake3 is ported (which is planned) then former mods like World of Padman, Urban Terror and Tremulous should be no problem to port as well (and OpenArena should work out of the box, as it is only a free media replacement for Quake3).

WoP has pretty steep system requirements due to very highly detailed maps & textures though, and the media license is sadly unfree thus you can not modify them without specific permission by the copyright holders (which is probably possible to get, if they provide you with .map files too is uncertain however and those would be needed to rework the maps).
All in all I doubt it can be made to run well on the Pandora without a significant amout of work (including a lot of cooperation of the original creators).

OpenAreana will indeed work out of the box as that's what I'm using to test the port! :)

Don't underestimate the power of the dark side PowerVR SGX, it's a pretty awesome beast. No promises, but I wouldn't be suprised if performs well, even for large texture sizes. Remeber - It's only having to drive 800x480, nothing compared to modern resolutions.

You do not need the .map sources as you don't need to recompile them. BSP files are not architecture-dependent.

The only thing you really *need* to port is the client(and maybe the server if you're planning on running a server on the Pandora hardware). Everything else you can drop in and use. If you're developing on the Pandora itself then you also need to port the QVM compiler.

Suddenly everything seems... easier!

If you're daring enough you could even develop a dual joystick input method(Halo-esque controls). Currently Quake 3 does not support analog directional input. You could have it check for joystick distance, like 50% up means "walk," and 75% up or more means "run," like was done in Super Mario 64. Depending on how far you push the joystick the faster you move(this is what quake3 doesn't have).

Megatog615 said:
You do not need the .map sources as you don't need to recompile them. BSP files are not architecture-dependent.
Would you please properly read what I wrote? :rolleyes:

I said you would need to have the .map files to rework the maps to make them less complex in order to lower system requirements.

But if the Pandora's GPU can really handle WoP unmodified (or only with reduced texture resolution) I would be seriously impressed (and I sure hope so).

Julius said:
But if the Pandora's GPU can really handle WoP unmodified (or only with reduced texture resolution) I would be seriously impressed (and I sure hope so).

Even if the GPU can handle the maps, I am afraid system memory will be too low, 512 MB is required and 1 GB recommanded (though I have found someone saying it was running OK with 256 MB).

Ok, I stand by my statement that the SGX is awesome, but only if it can actually fit the textures into RAM! :) Any idea how many & of what size textures modern games have uploaded at any one time? Even a 1024x1024 texture with full mipmaps is going to only be ~6MB?

Hmmm... not sure what you are exactly referring to (sorry no graphics programmer, just an game artist), but modern games can easily max out the 512mb on board ram of many modern GPUs.

A typical character model nowadays has at least one 1024x1024 diffuse map, plus a normal map of the same size and a spec map also. That is about the minimum for todays PC FPS games. Add to that the level textures (also with normal and spec map) and you are easily at 512mb or more.

Of course that level of detail would be total over kill on the pandora as a 512x512 texture would probably already have a higher texel desity than the pixels of the 800x480 screen unless zoomed in very close.

Thus 256x256 textures will probably be more than enough for most games on the Pandora.

what is to say we can't scale the textures on the fly as i don't believe that would constitute modification as far as redistribution but rather a feature of the quake engine? perhaps a job for the DSP... does it have the ability to scale textures like that? seems to me that it would

cb88 said:
what is to say we can't scale the textures on the fly as i don't believe that would constitute modification as far as redistribution but rather a feature of the quake engine? perhaps a job for the DSP... does it have the ability to scale textures like that? seems to me that it would
Sure, that is possible (would increase loading times a bit), rescaling the textures in GIMP or the like really is no problem either (well its a legal grey area, but I bet noone would mind, as you could do it in the engine also).

That's why I said you would most likely have to alter the WoP maps in addition for which you need the .map source files.

Back