Quake 2 Possible?

Well THAT'S pretty damn impressive.

I have question then - how this port deals with FPU requirement of Quake (all versions)? If it's just emulating it (as Arm9 cores don't have a FPU) by exceptions (or other means) or it's using already modified code for intenger maths only?

If it is not the latter then indeed, it's a very impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
:) so you found it then.

It's just a very quick port of sdlquake at the moment with a little bit of fixed point stuff from pocketquake2 thrown in. Radek: This is still mostly the original floating point renderer, the speed comes from using gcc4 with it's fast soft-float library. Before DJWillis managed to build a soft-float version of gcc4 this port ran at approx 0.75fps average with full detail instead of 5.5fps as it is now, so that just goes to show how important soft-float is.

There are 2 issues so far though - the first is this is still running at the standard clock speed, and we don't yet know what will happen if you try and overclock with linux in the background (it might not even be possible for all I know). The second is that linux and the second processor both take up chunks of memory which means that there isn't really enough left over to run quake2 (at one point it asks for 16mb - I give it 8 instead and it runs, but I don't know if there will be a problem with later levels). Removing the need for linux should sort out both of these issues though, but that obviously means a longer time to port. Still, for a quick port it doesn't perform too badly, ok it's not really that playable but there should be things that can be done to get a bit more speed out of it.

Back