Quake 2 Possible?

Phil

FAPPO!
Website
Visit site
I was wondering If quake 2 was on the Gp2x it would be really nice. Some very nice graphics to go with a very nice system.

I know it's not out, etc and all the usual flames, but in theory would it be possible seeing it's been ported to linux Here

I think there are a number of "open" Quake2 ports at the moment (using SDL and the like) so it might be possible. I wouldn't be able to give any more information until I took a look at the Quake 2 code and running GP2X hardware.

PocketPCs have a Quake 3 port. Quake 2 shouldn't be a problem on the GP2X and Quake 3 might be possible, too. The only question is if it makes sense. Quake 1 is probably more useful because it runs at good speeds.

getting quake 2 running on gp2x should be pretty streight forward, but i dont think more than 5-10 fps are possible.

elinscheid posted on Oct 23 2005 at 06:31 PM said:
The PSP will be having a Quake2 port soon,
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/quake2psp.shtml

Given this information perhaps the GP2X can handle this as well?

Quake1 and 2 have had a software renderers from a start. The Q1 was running pretty decently on my Pentium90 and Q2 on P166MMX without an 3d accelerator. This all in the 320x200 mode of course.

So possibility exists but keep in a mind it's a difficult bet. Pentium has FPU for an example and probably does more work per cycle than Arm9 too. So I'd say the Q1 for sure (and with very good perfomance) but Q2 might ends just being only passable.

For the PSP don't forget it has a hardware 3d accelerator. No chances for the GP2x to match the PSP in an 3d polygonal games.

Personally I give a *hit about Quakes. I'm looking forward to a Duke3D port, ShadowWarrior, Doom1/2 and the like. Yeah only an "2.5d" games but so? They will be very quick on the GP2x probably. GP2x controller is far more suitable for these and anyway nothing beats ShadowWarriors' sick sense of a humor. :D
(the Blood was even better at this)

Ah, if it only be possible to hook several GP2x to a network of some sort... The best multiplayers experience I ever had been playing the ShadowWarrior's Heavy Metal level. A tank, a nuclear warheads, a fantastic railgun to snip out and the "sticky friend"... In a comparison Quakes might indeed quake but only a toilet at best. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit off topic and not sure of the legaility of it either.But would it possible to run Half-Life on the gp2x? As the engine it uses is a modified version of the Quake engine.

GoldSrc, or Goldsource, is the internal name Valve Software gave for released versions of the heavily modified Quake engine that powers their science-fiction first-person shooter Half-Life (1998).

It has no official name.
Erik Johnson explains the GoldSrc naming scheme in this quote from the Valve Developer Community:

"When we were getting very close to releasing Half-Life (less than a week or so), we found there were already some projects that we needed to start working on, but we couldn't risk checking in code to the shipping version of the game. At that point we forked off the code in VSS to be both $/Goldsrc and /$Src. Over the next few years, we used these terms internally as "Goldsource" and "Source". At least initially, the Goldsrc branch of code referred to the codebase that was currently released, and Src referred to the next set of more risky technology that we were working on. When it came down to show Half-Life 2 for the first time at E3, it was part of our internal communication to refer to the "Source" engine vs. the "Goldsource" engine, and the name stuck.
Link

Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question, my knowledge of such matters is highly limited. :)

Jarska333 posted on Oct 23 2005 at 07:08 PM said:
I've been known to quake a toilet, on occasion. Depends on diet, I suppose.

Me too, me too and from a both sides at the same time. :lol:

Be dammed that vodka I sometimes don't have enough of... :rolleyes:

this is the clown posted on Oct 23 2005 at 07:25 PM said:
Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question, my knowledge of such matters is highly limited. :)

You haven't to be sorry even If you asks stupid questions. :)

For a HL1 imho it could be done as HL1 is using just a modified Quake1 engine. It'd be slower thought and... unless actually someone try to do it we don't know how feasible the HL1 would be on the GP2x. We have the legal aspect to worry about too.

Did you ever play the dreamcast port of quake 2? That ran very well, but the machine didnt have enough RAM to load the bigger levels.
I think it could be possible to get a decent port running on GP2x, but it would take a someone with time and experience.
Half life is not open-source, so not really a possibility.
You can't port a game if you can't see the code.

this is the clown posted on Oct 23 2005 at 01:25 PM said:
A bit off topic and not sure of the legaility of it either.But would it possible to run Half-Life on the gp2x? As the engine it uses is a modified version of the Quake engine.

GoldSrc, or Goldsource, is the internal name Valve Software gave for released versions of the heavily modified Quake engine that powers their science-fiction first-person shooter Half-Life (1998).

It has no official name.
Erik Johnson explains the GoldSrc naming scheme in this quote from the Valve Developer Community:

"When we were getting very close to releasing Half-Life (less than a week or so), we found there were already some projects that we needed to start working on, but we couldn't risk checking in code to the shipping version of the game. At that point we forked off the code in VSS to be both $/Goldsrc and /$Src. Over the next few years, we used these terms internally as "Goldsource" and "Source". At least initially, the Goldsrc branch of code referred to the codebase that was currently released, and Src referred to the next set of more risky technology that we were working on. When it came down to show Half-Life 2 for the first time at E3, it was part of our internal communication to refer to the "Source" engine vs. the "Goldsource" engine, and the name stuck.
Link

half-life uses a highly tweaked quake engine, the problem is that this new engine cannot be used legally by anyone for anything, like the quake engine is right now.

To run Half Life, the code of the modified engine would be needed which has not been released. It won't run on the standard Quake engine.

Hmm, I thought the Half-Life engine actually used parts of the Quake 2 engine. Live and learn, I guess :D

Still, while Half-Life itself cannot be run on the GP2X, it bodes well for what might be accomplishable with the Quake engine on the system.

Jarska333 posted on Oct 23 2005 at 05:08 PM said:
I've been known to quake a toilet, on occasion. Depends on diet, I suppose.

But was that Quake 1, 2 or 3? :D

Back