Quake Game?

OmarNawaz

hiya

was wondering if anyone if working on a game using the quake

its really runs quite well a considering its open source would be cool to make a game

can you make ingame cutscenes in quake i rember those quake movies from a while back but is it possible?

Quake has already been ported, or do you mean using the engine for a game, I think Epic is making a game with it.

Yes; when we're done with Stargazer we are going to get back to work on Armor of Acheron G, a first-person shooter based on Quake. It already has a PC version, but we still need to scale it back for the GP2X's hardware and the contraints of the engine, also, we'd probably be adding some single player levels in addition to the multiplayer element that wholly comprised the PC version (AOA2).

In between projects, we are considering an air combat sim based on Quake. It would be optimized to run at maximum framerate on the GP2X hardware, and hopefully support 2-player+ combat over USB networking, USB-attached Cat5/6, USB WiFi, etc. It would feature fast-paced combat in multiple environments with various modern/futuristic aircraft and a selection of weapons. (That's still tentative.)

cool

so how hard is it to make games using quake engine

if i make the maps using quark how do i go about editing other thing like menu graphics, enemy AI, sound

I thinking of making a game using quake probably scrape together a demo somehow

cool

so how hard is it to make games using quake engine

if i make the maps using quark how do i go about editing other thing like menu graphics, enemy AI, sound

I thinking of making a game using quake probably scrape together a demo somehow

In between projects, we are considering an air combat sim based on Quake. It would be optimized to run at maximum framerate on the GP2X hardware, and hopefully support 2-player+ combat over USB networking, USB-attached Cat5/6, USB WiFi, etc. It would feature fast-paced combat in multiple environments with various modern/futuristic aircraft and a selection of weapons. (That's still tentative.)

I remember talking about that with you on IRC. I inherited more of my mum's artistic abilities than my dad's mathematical genius. My dream is to get him interested in the GP2X - collaberate on something again. He can recite Calculus 3 equations from memory. When I was growing up I kept wondering why I couldn't do that... until I realized many people can't ;)

Lord. Last project we worked on together was 1994. I was 18? Okay. I feel old now ;)

I'll just have to wait and see - my GP2X is probably being interrogated by the NSA right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quake's not that hard to build on and is quite expandible, but you will need to learn a sort of interpreted dialect of C that 'scripts' the Quake engine, appropriately called QuakeC. It's more its own language with a syntax very closely mimicking C. It's full of odd quirks and a bit strange to get used to, but there are tutorials around for more basic things like messing with the weapons and enemy AI, although to do a total conversion or build a new game on Quake will require a pretty deep understanding of what's going on in QC, which can take some time.

That said, it is really NOT that difficult-- looking at some mods' source might give you a hand. As for procedure and tools you'd just need a text editor, the .qc source files for the game 'script' (progs.dat) and a QCC compiler. I use a few depending on the engine I am compiling for .. FTEQCC, FrikQCC, ProQCC and plain old QCC.

Back