Possible To Do This With Quake Engine?

Nightmaresquad2

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Is it possible....To mod the quake engine, with Counter Strike Characters?
And change it to you buy CS guns.
Like AK, Colt, you know just like CS. And it's Counter Strike?

Just change charcter models from Quake to Low Polygon CS characters....
And take out Qauke's guns, with Counter Strikes Buy Menu....And set it up basically like that?

Would that work? Or be possible?
Seems like it'd be pretty fun......

yes, you can... you could ahve found that out by yourself, there are some great quake mods, do a bit of searching, and quake is also opensource, so you can do ANYTHING with it if you know c.

I'm no expert on the matter, but I don't see why not. There are some very extensive Quake mods including a (albeit rather strange) rally game. Do bare in mind, however, that it will always 'feel' like Quake no matter how much you change things because that's the way the engine was built.

IIRC they even made football game mods with the Quake engine. You can do a lot with it you take the time and have the ability ( I sure don't!)

Prophet posted on Sep 21 2005 at 07:45 PM said:
IIRC they even made football game mods with the Quake engine. You can do a lot with it you take the time and have the ability ( I sure don't!)

There are a few tutorials out there for using the Quake engine to do neat stuff with. I haven't read them myself as I haven't found the time yet (and my C == crappy), but I'm definitely going to dive into it pretty soon here. Just as soon as I get a couple of other projects out of the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix posted on Sep 22 2005 at 03:28 AM said:
I dunno, Halflife was a pretty different feeling mod.
:D Yeah, Counter Strike is already running on a (heavily modified) Quake engine...

As I see it there's only 1 limit with the Quake engine, it uses BSP which means that the map must be sealed with no leakage. This means that you can't have big open games. You can have long levels or a big world like in Zelda if you make it up of many smaler maps and just link them togehter with code continously loading and unloading them.

craigix posted on Sep 22 2005 at 01:28 AM said:
I dunno, Halflife was a pretty different feeling mod.

Halflife wasn't a Quake mod. It's a separate game with its own mods, it merely used the Quake engine as a starting point. Please don't try and mislead people here...unless you have a team of very talented programmers, level designers and artist to rip the heart out of the Quake engine (as Valve did), your mod is going to end up looking, feeling and controlling like Quake.

Back