Release Qemu for Pandora (for rebirth competition)

Here is a video of how Ingo got it to run. Does it run better for you?

Would really be nice if you share how you optimized it.

That's about what I got but I kept the textures so maybe even a little slower. "Slightly reduced framerate" was probably an understatement but it didn't stop me from playing through the first chapter. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up.

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some solid documentation for this. I read the ones that came when I installed it on my panda, but was quite minimal. More to the point I'm wondering how I would go about installing windows 95 on this, as it's all in floppy images. Atleast the one that I have is. I've got a 98 image, but I thought that It didn't run too well. I haven't tried it yet though.

Are there any versions of linux that run nicely on this?

See here for some tipps regarding the installation of Windows 95

See here for hints on changing the disk

Ahh awesome! that's answered alot of my questions. Will give it a whirl when I get home. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

any chance of a video tutorial of how to get dos/windows up and running with some simple software, just so i can get my head around this?

I know it is not easy, but the wiki covers the most systems. There are good tutorials online, too. As a rule of thumb, everything, that works with Desktop Linux Wemu should work with the Pandorabuild, too... *should* ;)

If I get the time, I will make a step by step videotutorial at some point, but time is rare for me these days...

If anyone else wants to make a videotutorial, please do so!

Maybe I missed something along the way, but could I trouble someone for a simple tutorial of how to set up a system and then a game so that I have a reference point of how to use this program? It would be nice if you could use wolfenstein 3d as a working example. I have the files but no idea how qemu works or how to use it. The wiki doesn't help much because I don't know what most of it means.

EDIT

I'm also sorry for posting this immediately after what is apparently someone else asking the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I missed something along the way, but could I trouble someone for a simple tutorial of how to set up a system and then a game so that I have a reference point of how to use this program? It would be nice if you could use wolfenstein 3d as a working example. I have the files but no idea how qemu works or how to use it. The wiki doesn't help much because I don't know what most of it means. EDIT I'm also sorry for posting this immediately after what is apparently someone else asking the same thing.

We have native linux ports of Wolfenstein 3D that works well, all you need to do is drop the data files into the appropriate appdata directory. Also for most DOS games you should really try DOSBOX first, it's a bit easier to setup and has good speed now that it's been better optimized.. QEMU is a Virtual Machine were you can install an OS like DOS or Windows 3.1/95/98.. It can require a bit of old school DOS/Windows skills and knowledge to get things to work properly.. The biggest benefit of Qemu over DOSBOX is that it allows some Windows 95/98 games to run. The wiki which has been linked numerous times in this thread has some good info..

Also, you can read about qemu on wikipedia or the official site to get a picture of what it is. There is no general difference between desktop linux qemu and the Pandoraversion except for the frontend, which has a readme, that should get you started.

Thx for testing the Game.

Nice to hear that it work perfectly ^_^
No problem, thank you for the amazing emulator Ingoreis. Wing Commander 3/4 and Last Express are my favorite games of all time and it's great to be able to play them on my Pandora. Your work has made at least one person very very happy and I would bet a lot more. Thanks again!

I realize that dosbox would be simpler, and the native wolfenstein for that matter, but I really just wanted to use it as a simple example to introduce me to the concept. I would later on like to run games like dungeon master and stuff. Ok, specifically dungeon master, but I like being introduced to new things.

Here exclusivly for Qemu on Pandora

Hi i made a new HDD Image for installing Windows95 that contains only legal Software.

No one File in this Image is from Microsoft and the installation of Windows 95

is very very easy now

Overclock to 800MHZ or more

use a fast USB Stick,because when your Stick is to slow the Installation can hang

and your need a Windows95 Iso from your Original CD+Key

I recommend the Settings in other Options on Qemu for Pandora:

Fullscreen =Yes

Dissable Network=Yes

other addidional Options=

-no-acpi -no-hpet -balloon none

Now lets starting

here is the Image(now testet and work fully on my Pandora here)

http://mcobit.openpandora.org/qemu-images/DRDOSWindows95SetupDiskwithCDROMsupport.rar

(i updated,tested and uploaded it this morning)

-Start Qemu

-use as HDD my win95Setupdisk

-use as CDROM your Windows95 Iso

-be shure that the Settings are right

When starting there is a Howto in the Image that explain all Things.

-Type "Start" to copy your Windows Setup Files to the Image

- then boot the Image again without any CDROM

- and Type "win95" to start the Setup

i testet this on my Pandora and works well ^_^

now can all People installing Windows95 with Qemu ;)

greetings from Germany

Thx for testing the Game.

Nice to hear that it work perfectly ^_^
No problem, thank you for the amazing emulator Ingoreis. Wing Commander 3/4 and Last Express are my favorite games of all time and it's great to be able to play them on my Pandora. Your work has made at least one person very very happy and I would bet a lot more. Thanks again!

Hi! How did you manage to get The Last Express working? I have the Good Old Games verison, did you use that?

I can get it running in Dosbox if I set up D: as the directory with cd1.HPF, cd2.HPF @ cd3.HPF. However if I do this with Qemu it doesn't recognise the cd, even if I create an ISO with them on. I can get it running but at the start it asks for CD1. Any suggestions?

Hey Tuki,

I have isos of the original CDs and am using Qemu with Windows 95 to run them. Ran the setup file on CD1 to install and haven't had any trouble. The original CDs are named EXPRESS1, EXPRESS2 and EXPRESS3 and the root directory of EXPRESS 1 has the following files:

DATA <DIR>

DOS <DIR>

WINDOWS <DIR>

AUTORUN.INF

CD1.HPF

MAKINGOF.AVI

README.TXT

SETUP.EXE

Great to meet another fan of the game cause it's one of the best ones ever made and way underappreciated. Hope this helps and good luck!

I've had a scout through the wiki and followed it as required. Got a version of 98 running, but I'm just curious as to how I would get the wireless running? Which drivers do I need, I couldn't seem to find them on the wiki at all. That being said, If I was to run a version of linux, would I need drivers still or would it just work out of the box with the pandora wireless adapter?

The thing is, that qemu just forwards the network traffic to the virtual machine. You don't need drivers for the Pandora wifi, but for the networkcard it emulates. Read a bit on the net about how this works. I think in BeOS it works out of the box but I never tried it in Win9x. Maybe IngoReis has done so and can help a bit here.

Back