Release [Rebirth Competition] Caph

Liboicl

This is my entry for the competition. It is a port of a physics game called Caph.

The objective of the game is to draw objects (solid wire, rope, and bendable wire) to make the red and green objects come into contact.

The controls are slightly difficult at first, so after it's released I would recommend reading the documentation before you try to play it. I have added several Pandora-Styled controls, but I have also left the default controls intact.

When a lot of objects are drawn, the game will start running slower. I plan to have it set to 800mhz by default, but it will run perfectly fine on 600mhz as long as the amount of drawings do not get out of hand. I plan to work out a good default mhz after the release when I can get some feedback from others.

preview.png

Oooh, I'm definitely going to have this... :)

May I suggest that you do not force the over-clocking to 800MHz but maybe put an indication that the user him/herself should do it for better performance?

I have the same issue with my python/pygame thingy but I have a feeling that a few folks might not appreciate having their hardware settings altered without at least a note saying it's going to be done.

It pops up and asks for confirmation on the pandora. At least, it does on mine. I assumed this was the default behaviour. Is it not?

It depends on how you implement the overclock. It can be done by just writing 800 into /proc/pandora/cpu_mhz_max. This doesn't pop up anything and the cpu speed changes immediately.

If you call /usr/pandora/op_cpuspeed.sh from the OS then yes, it will pop up the pandora's overclocking utility and the user can then confirm or cancel.

It depends on how you implement the overclock. It can be done by just writing 800 into /proc/pandora/cpu_mhz_max. This doesn't pop up anything and the cpu speed changes immediately.

If you call /usr/pandora/op_cpuspeed.sh from the OS then yes, it will pop up the pandora's overclocking utility and the user can then confirm or cancel.
No, I think what he meant is using clockspeed element of PXML, which will promt the user before changing the CPU speed. (which btw is what you should do and not mess around with those scripts and values manually).

oh...my bad then!. lol, I tend to go down a tad more under the hood probably due to my cli love as a sysadmin :D

Good to know then, thanks. Maybe I will use that myself hehe!

Nice port. On the first play I thought, this really needs more Pandora controls (a substitute for Esc, especially) but then I read the documentation and saw you'd done it. Exactly how I would have suggested it too, funnily enough!

The game itself is quite cool, a nice addition to the Crayon Physics genre (is that a genre now? If not I'm calling it that.) The original author has made some irritating choices, like some of the MS Paint styled text being a bit too hard to read. And the early levels leaning more towards clutter and almost obsure solutions where they should be simpler.

All said though, this game sits very nicely on the hardware and it's fun to whip out the stylus and draw silly things. :)

I think this would really benefit from guihints: http://boards.openpa...s-preview01-02/

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice port. On the first play I thought, this really needs more Pandora controls (a substitute for Esc, especially) but then I read the documentation and saw you'd done it. Exactly how I would have suggested it too, funnily enough!

The game itself is quite cool, a nice addition to the Crayon Physics genre (is that a genre now? If not I'm calling it that.) The original author has made some irritating choices, like some of the MS Paint styled text being a bit too hard to read. And the early levels leaning more towards clutter and almost obsure solutions where they should be simpler.

All said though, this game sits very nicely on the hardware and it's fun to whip out the stylus and draw silly things. :)

I think this would really benefit from guihints: http://boards.openpa...s-preview01-02/

I thought about making some custom levels, but the deadline approached. I may still do that later on. It has a built in map editor, read the documentation, so other people can do the same and share them amongst one another.

guihints looks like it would help. Any recommendation on how to approach it? Should it pop up when the concept is first introduced, be mapped to a key, or something else?

Also, did you experiment any with the clock speed? I am contemplating about what the best default value would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back