Pyra vs GPD WIN

Ahhh, Yes. I can't forget the promises of the Smach Z. Before the PGS, there was Smach talk. You will be able to play all PC games and have the power of the Sun in your really deep pocket...or huge fanny pack.

Ahhh, Yes. I can't forget the promises of the Smach Z. Before the PGS, there was Smach talk. You will be able to play all PC games and have the power of the Sun in your really deep pocket...or huge fanny pack.

Hush up with all that, now! The PGS has a prototype, it just wasn't at Gamescom!!!

...is...i-is this how you b8? I think it is...

Hush up with all that, now! The PGS has a prototype, it just wasn't at Gamescom!!!
Just like all Pandora owners have a Pyra prototype (with completely different hardware, just like PGS prototype vs final unit). I wish I had figured that out sooner, as I wouldn't have been waiting on a Pyra, and could have saved myself some money.

...is...i-is this how you b8? I think it is...

You're correct. I did see the newest PGS BLACK version. I can't believe that they were able to produce it within a single day after announcing the other colors.

REVOLUTION NOW!

Maybe if we all say it together at once it might happen...

Or swine could grow wings....
[doublepost=1472191503,1472191059][/doublepost]REVULSION NOW!

Hey, that's more like it... o_O

@ED, that all seems very surprising to me , especially after your initial post re temps of the Omap 5. I'm referring to your post 2 years back now where you mentioned the Omap 5 got sizzling hot. I know it was a while ago, but it's hard finding posts on it and things might be different now somehow

Yes, for some reason, this has gotten a lot better with a more recent kernel.
No idea what has changed,

I still think it can get very hot, but we can't test that before we can't run extensive 3D stuff. Right now, we don't have any type of thermal management in, and I want at least one of those large heatsink pads in there.

The GPD WIN now does have a better heatsink , air vents and a fan. Apparently GPD claim that under full load it doesn't exceed 79C , and the outside shell stays under 40C under full load. They are saying it can go flat out gaming without thermally throttling or getting uncomforatbly warm. We shall see though, as I said I won't believe anything until final independent reviews are done.

Well, yes, but don't forget I have the unit without the fan, which is why it runs hot quite fast.
The CPU is throttling at 81C right now (can be changed in BIOS), so of course the maximum is at about 80C even on my prototype.

The Pyra has the advantage that the case is a bit thicker AND it has an additional layer of plastic (due to the replaceable battery), so it doesn't feel as hot outside.

I'm a bit concerned about the battery in the GPD Win, but maybe with the fan all will be good.

A video of the Pyra natively running Jedi Knight 2, Jedi Academy, Arx Fatalis and ptitSebs other great 3D ports in HD and stating the tested battery time (maybe even compared to the same games on the GPD Win) could boost the pre-orders, hopefully the 3D stuff has been worked out soon.

3D stuff seems to be almost working, however, performance-wise (especially regarding the battery consumption), the Pyra will probably be a lot worse than the GPD Win at the beginning, as the Win has optimized drivers already whereas the Pyra still has a lot of potential.

The Pandora at first also only lasted 10 hours, even in case you didn't really do much.

However, in the long run, the Pyra can be a lot more optimized as the Win, as we have sourcecodes for everything.

Heck, the initial battery time the Win had when I received it was horrible and the system reached 50C just sitting at the desktop,
The simple fix was to disable all unneccessary Windows crap and services - however, you are limited to that.

You can't disable everything and Windows itself uses a lot more ressources than Linux.

On the Pyra, you can use E18 or LXDE if you want very slim desktop environments.
On the Win, you will always have the Windows DM which is not optimized for mobile usage and there's nothing you or GPD can do about it.

So my guessr is that in the beginning the Win will be a lot better regarding battery consumption / optimization, but in the long run the Pyra will overtake as there's a lot that can be done.

I noticed you said it's not doing much. Can you run a full load stress test and measure temps and frequencies after 30 minutes?
Not sure if your board can be enclosed to mimic the Pyra case, if so that would be good to.

If you could , that would be awesome
Yeah I can do that sometime this weekend. I had Firefox running a few tabs and Hexchat running IRC. But to see the significance of what those numbers mean, my prior experience was that the SoC would get untouchable hot within a few minutes of running, Idle or otherwise. I would need to keep a fan on it all the time. Not so much with my current setup.
A video of the Pyra natively running Jedi Knight 2, Jedi Academy, Arx Fatalis and ptitSebs other great 3D ports in HD and stating the tested battery time (maybe even compared to the same games on the GPD Win) could boost the pre-orders, hopefully the 3D stuff has been worked out soon.
I currently have Return of Castle Wolfenstien (Quake 3 Engine) working minus sound, I'll try some of his other ports, but they're all very Pandora specific and generally the non-Pandora source code isn't ARM friendly, so I'll see what I can do.

I renember a Video where Sonic 3D ir running on the Omap5 DevBoard 3 Times faster than real.
Notaz did this 3 Years ago.
I was very suprised to see this Speed...wow. :D
Maybe i find this Video this Evening.
It was recorded from EvilDragon while i played Ikaruga and Skies of Arcadia on this Devboard.

Why do we not use this "hacked" Driver from this Time for Testing 3D Things on the Pyra?

Edit:
And Ptitseb runned on the Omap5Devboard the 3D Rpg Arx Fatalis/Liberatis @ This Time.

Why do we not use this "hacked" Driver from this Time for Testing 3D Things on the Pyra?
The old Driver only worked on Ti's old Ubuntu stock rootfs image with the ancient 3.8 Kernel. It was really crash prone and there has been a ton of kernel development done over the years.
[doublepost=1472214101,1472213572][/doublepost]Should also mention aTc has got the driver working and easily installable over the Pyra debian repository at the moment. only issue right now is that the TILER hack to rotate the screen is breaking the SGX driver from working properly.

About Mirror edge, I think that game is quite demanding, right ? So I think the temperature is normal.

Last edited:
About Mirror edge, I think that game is quite demanding, right ? So I think the temperature is normal.
Well ED also mentioned it gets super hot just running Windows 10 Idle...

Well ED also mentioned it gets super hot just running Windows 10 Idle...
Yes but GPD also took a picture while watching streamed video, and the temperature was under 40°C. I think we really need to see the final product.

With the Old prototype or the new one with the metal base and the fan?
Well, actually you right, it was on the plastic back with the aluminium heatsink and the atom x5 z8550. But I'm still optimistic because it's supposed to be more efficient for the same task.

A strong case is necessary, on top of it, another important thing is how the "fillings" fixed inside the case, and the fillings robustness.
There are some products which have robust cases, but their fillings developed into fragments after shocking.
A positive example is Casio G- SHOCK watch, the case and its filling and the way of the filling been fixed are all robust enough.
Looking forward some shock resistant test of Pyra.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back