Pyra screen options

Shenmue, maybe you've misinterpreted what the shop is and have actually been standing in front of a phone retailer all blushing ^_^

The right move is to use capacitive touch screen.

Can we simply optimize two different user interfaces? The first one to be finger friendly, and keep the second one, - full desktop, in order to be used with external TV/Monitor and mouse setup ?

Using a full desktop UI on 5 inch resistive screen and stylus will cripple the whole experience IMO. For every simple task you will need to pull out the god damn stylus, or break your nerves by trying to do something with fingers on this resistive screen. Even the cheapest capacitive screen will be far more responsive in finger setup.

If the capacitive screens are more cheap and easy to secure in the future why should Ed use resistive one ?

:*(

Because it's not just the shell that would need to be finger friendly. It's every single application. Most applications we use on Pandora and that will be available in the Debian repos for Pyra are not optimized for finger, but pixel-accurate pointer input. Capacitive simply isn't compatible with them. It's better to have to pull out a stylus than not have the software at all usable.

I for one love having a complete desktop UI on my pandora instead of something that's used on tablets or phones.

citation needed.
For every simple task you will need to pull out the god damn stylus
Why?
or break your nerves by trying to do something with fingers on this resistive screen
Stop punching the screen with your finger. A light touch is all that is required. Your personal experiences are not an argument because I will counter them with my own: I use the Pandoras touch screen almost exlusively with my fingers and have never had any problems, my fingers are not suffering after years of use.
If the capacitive screens are more cheap and easy to secure in the future why should Ed use resistive one ?
As has been said, accuracy is key.

Only for a mostly-Android-device. 

Can we simply optimize two different user interfaces? The first one to be finger friendly, and keep the second one, - full desktop, in order to be used with external TV/Monitor and mouse setup ?
You think people would only want to use a full desktop at home and not on-the-go?

I'm always using the full desktop on my Pandora, and I'm rarely using the stylus.

The problem is:

A capacitive one can not be used with a full desktop (not accurate enough with fingers), except for if you use it in combination with a digitizer (which only works with a specific stylus), so only for a finger-friendly UI.

A resistive one can be used with a full desktop AND a finger-friendly UI.

The problem is not responsiveness. The original Pandora display has a very good responsiveness and reacts on a slight touch.

The problem is that the capacitive one is not accurate enough, as you can only use it with a finger.

Ever tried handling a VNC Linux Session on a tablet?

I tried - with the Google Nexus 7 (so way bigger screen than we have), and it's just not possible hitting the buttons.

Using a full desktop UI on 5 inch resistive screen and stylus will cripple the whole experience IMO.
Why? Using a full desktop UI on a 4,3 inch resistive screen is awesome :)

For every simple task you will need to pull out the god damn stylus, or break your nerves by trying to do something with fingers on this resistive screen. Even the cheapest capacitive screen will be far more responsive in finger setup.
I'm not sure what your issue is.

When I play games like Wesnoth, FreeCiv, etc., I pull out the stylus.

Quick button presses or window switching in the taskbar can be done with the finger.

If I just want to close a window, most of the time I simply use the nubs.

...break your nerves by trying to do something with fingers on this resistive screen...
A capacitive one would make things even horrible. Your problem is not that you need to slightly touch it, your problem is accuracy with small buttons.

A capacitive screen is worse with accuracy, so it would make things even harder on the desktop.

If buttons are too small for you, why not increase them in the desktop settings?

Or use the nubs?

With the issue you mention, capacitive would be worse than resistive.

A capacitive one costs about five times as much as a resistive one.

A capacitive is made of glass and a resistive of foil.

And foils are easy to get as well ;)

I hate finger touch.  It's for kids :)

Joking aside, I've never used the MiniMenu on the Pandora eventhough it's quite nice.  Full desktop on Pandora (and Pyra) all the way :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I see, 

If the capacitive ones are five times more pricey, this explains all to me, and I am happy with this decision.

After all the Pyra will be pricey enough, so there is definitely no need to be more pricey.

Also note taken on the B-ZaR argument about the software.

Well on my Note 3, work related applications (which are vital to me) like VNC, Putty CM, Office, and so on, works flawlessly with the Wacom stylus, so it will be great to have the same or at least similar experience with them on Pyra.

Best Regards, :)

Believe it or not, you can use the Note 3 stylus on the current Pandora full desktop and it works way better than the Pandora stylus :)   I stole my wife Note 3 stylus and use it on my Pandy :)

Well on my Note 3, work related applications (which are vital to me) like VNC, Putty CM, Office, and so on, works flawlessly with the Wacom stylus, so it will be great to have the same or at least similar experience with them on Pyra.
Well, but then you are using a stylus which is using the digitizer, not the capacitive touchscreen ;)

And above one of your complaints was that you have to use a stylus... so that defeats it ;)

I didn't say that I use it all the time , I said that it works great with work related applications, and if the Pyra resistive screen will be the closest thing to the Note 3 experience, on this kind of applications, for sure I will prefer resistive screen in that case :)

I mainly use the stylus on Note 3 for handwriting. the software is great, and it is way to fast to handwrite mail or message with the stylus, than typing it on the screen keyboard.

I was hoping to throw away my Note 3 as soon as I manage to get myself a Pyra. But it seems that I will need to keep the stylus after all.

Don`t get me wrong. For me the Note 3 is the ultimate device but the Android ruins it all. :(

Can't you run Linux on Note 3?
Maybe it will be possible with some tweaks to run a distro, but it will be way too crippled and unstable.

In other hand the whole android thing is one huge pile of garbage. Almost every application from the app store wants access to your contact list, gallery, inbox, gps location, blood type, DNA and so on :D

It pisses me off :(

EDIT 15:

The world is not safe anymore, kids. Big brother is watching. <3

Me too... I really wanted an alternative to the great Gnar Bike Trials game...

I saw one called Xtreme Wheels which looks good, but wants my location, read my phone calls and identity - I can't see any reason for that. So not going to get it

FZERO: Most of those are probably mandated by the ad support. At least approximate (cell tower based) location and phone id. Doesn't make it any nicer though.

If the Pyra Stylus is way better than the Pandora Stylus, a resistive Touchscreen would be not that bad :) ,

Most of our Games are to play whit Buttons, and for the rest, whe dont need Multitouch at all..

Are there issues with the Pandora Stylus?  I have none....
Maybe he's referring to the early Pandora stylus issues where you could scratch your screen due to an uneven stylus tip.

Anyway, I could not see any benefit in a capacitive screen on the Pyra unless it had a Wacom digitizer.

-God Ginrai

Back