Pyra screen options

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
I think there should be a choice between capacitive and resistive touch screens and it should just be an option when you place the order.

And perhaps a pen for the capacitive screen ala the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

That could be problematic in a few different ways

First you'd need to find capacitive and a resistive touch screens of the same physical dimensions and resolution,  then you'd need to make sure they are pin-compatible, then you'd have to worry about the minimum order quantity of each...    In short I don't see this being practical.

- Neelix

As the possbiitly of multitouch resistive screens?
I wish. :( I've played with multitouch resistive screens in tech demo and been impressed but as of yet I haven't heard of anyone actually producing them, at least not in volumes that we'd be able to afford.

I believe you can have both if you wanted it.  both resistive and capacitive layers on top of the one screen.  Not sure of cost and availability

This was more my boyfriend's question than mine. He doesn't want a Pandora because I doesn't have a cpacitive touchscreen, and so was hoping the Pyra might have one.

Capacitive screen would really only help when running Android. And by god I hate Android/WinPhone and wouldn't want to compromise full desktop usability on the P2 for an OS that's not the standard. Only resistive allows you to be precise. And an active digitizer is out of the question I guess. Having a choice between different screens cannot happen due to various reasons.

I would probably lean towards resistive as well. When the Android handhelds started hitting the market there were a couple that had multi touch resistive screens. I have one that is dual touch but I think there were three point screens as well but I could be mistaken. After that they all pretty much went capacitive. Point being they are available, the question is price. Bare in mind these were cheap Chinese consoles so they probably weren't the highest quality screens.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's always a breath of fresh air to use my Pandora with its clean screen right after using my fingerprint-covered phone. Resistive all the way!

I agree with sticking to a resistive touch screen.  And I don't believe a multitouch screen is ever necessary, or even functional on a Pandora.  You need one of your hands to hold it.  I suppose you could kind of use two fingers of the same hand at once, but I don't like ever using touch screens if there is any alternate input method available, so maybe I shouldn't voice opinions about touch screens.

Multi-touch is nice/necessary if you have to compensate for a severe lack of physical buttons, like on a phone or tablet. That is not an issue on the Pyra. We don't need gestures like pinch-to-zoom when we can have actual buttons for that. We certainly don't need multi-touch for games that have an on-screen simulated dpad and action buttons.

What we do need is precision. Do you know the pixel area of a finger tip on a 5" full HD screen? According to most design guides, a finger has an area of about 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch, which is 109x109 pixels. That means that if you design an interface with 32x32 pixel buttons, each finger press hits 9 buttons at the same time.

You can get finer tipped styluses for capacitive screens like this one -> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/227221698/truglide-apex-fine-point-electronic-stylus-for-ipa

It will be a matter of what's on the market at the time and for how much.
Problem with active styluses is that they're unlikely to fit into a slot in the case.
Another problem is that they need a battery. I don't like having to keep track of two different battery levels in one product.

Also, even a "fine tipped" stylus for capacitive screens still has an area of about 40x40 pixels on a full HD 5" screen.

Back