Pyra Release date - Make your Guess here.

I think he means, the designing of the layout for the production company would be take about 2h.

When a layout is picked and decided.....

i'm ready for it to be over. i didn't realize you were waiting for a consensus ;) .

I think he means, the designing of the layout for the production company would be take about 2h.

Exactly :D

But since deciding the keyboard layout will take at least 3 more years with hundreds of threads... :)
You can speed it up by making some more decisions so we don't have to explore all options :)

Some of the things we could use your input on:

• are Shift+Fn/Meta/AltGr/whatever labels allowed (as long as the total number of labels per key is at most 3) ? E.g. Meta+P could be =, and Shift+Meta+P could be +   [if this is allowed, DOSBox compatibility could potentially be easier to obtain]
  • do you prefer comma and period ( , . ) to be on th left, like on the Pandora, or is it also OK to have them on the right?
  • do you prefer more 'international' stuff (e.g. üöäß labeled, but possibly also éèàç (French), ñ (Spanish), åøæ (Scandinavian languages), etc) or do you prefer a 'cleaner' look with less 'weird foreign letters'?

But since deciding the keyboard layout will take at least 3 more years with hundreds of threads... :)
You can speed it up by making some more decisions so we don't have to explore all options :)

• are Shift+Fn/Meta/AltGr/whatever labels allowed (as long as the total number of labels per key is at most 3) ? E.g. Meta+P could be =, and Shift+Meta+P could be +   [if this is allowed, DOSBox compatibility could potentially be easier to obtain]
  • do you prefer comma and period ( , . ) to be on th left, like on the Pandora, or is it also OK to have them on the right?
  • do you prefer more 'international' stuff (e.g. üöäß labeled, but possibly also éèàç (French), ñ (Spanish), åøæ (Scandinavian languages), etc) or do you prefer a 'cleaner' look with less 'weird foreign letters'?
And now the release date guestimation thread is another keyboard layout thread.

Who could have expected THAT?  ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

And now the release date guestimation thread is another keyboard layout thread.
If deciding the keyboard layout is potentially going to take 3 more years, then it seems to be the main factor that determines the release date, right? ;)

I am not EvilDragon, but I have responses to those questions:

I thought the point of the limit on key markings was to allow for putting more things on keys to compensate for the lack of keys, like the stuff in blue on the Pandora.  Why would those not be allowed?

Why not put punctuation either where you have space for it, or on the right, like on a full sized keyboard?  I kinda doubt this is holding back those making layouts (maybe I should take a look to see if anything has changed recently).

Regarding the "weird foreign letters", I thought he mentioned somewhere that he wanted to avoid that (and circles with dots, or something).  I am too lazy to search right now.  Maybe we should put together a quick reference list of links to ED's posts about the keyboard layout.

Of course we need some kind of Meta, since we otherwise don't have enough keys to fit everything we need. The question is whether ED allows Shift+Meta combinations (as opposed to just Meta).

About "weird foreign letters": yes, ED was opposed to an early layout that had a dozen or so explicitly labeled dead diacritics. But he seems to be in favor of having üöäß labeled. We don't know what he thinks about éèàç though, for example.

I think that ED must give , at least, an opinion about what the people have been discussing throught the threads. I know it is not easy but i think the keyboard layout thing is taking veeeeeeery long time now. It needs to be finished. BTW, any news entry ED?

The keyboard discussion is just bikeshedding.

Its so easy to have opinions so people just keep on talking.

how about you take the keyboard discussion back to a keyboard thread and leav this one for its intended purpose???
We are on topic. We are talking about something that affects to the Pyra release date, not discussing about layout proposals and that stuff so please, calm down your horses :D

how about you take the keyboard discussion back to a keyboard thread and leav this one for its intended purpose???
We are on topic. We are talking about something that affects to the Pyra release date, not discussing about layout proposals and that stuff so please, calm down your horses :D
Not really. This thread is about guessing the release date and nothing more. its the Title.. "Make your Guess Here."

Not really. This thread is about guessing the release date and nothing more. its the Title.. "Make your Guess Here."
It's a bit late now to participate in the guessing though, one year after this thread was started and after half of the guesses already turned out to be false...

Then stop complaining because your complains are not "topic related". You are not a moderator so stop telling the people what to talk about or not. If you want, you can report us for start talking about "another irrelevant thing" but keep in mind that you made the same trying to "moderate" the topic ;) .

Back