Pyra Font

post-2326-0-01558000-1442063551.png

drabopyrl.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sans-serif fonts remind me of lazy people using MS office's current default of Arial, and of comic-sans.
You dare to name the beautiful, clean and shiny Arial in one sentence with the dirty, evil Comic-Sans? That's...provoking...   ;)

I agree that ALL CAPITAL can look bad, no need to force this style. But it also can look good if the font supports it well, i'm still in Love with the SEGA Logo for example. :wub:

Font is OK, but it's not good as logo, to much "noise" there and not really a clean and easy to recognize logo  at first sight. 2 lines should also be avoided at all costs.

All caps is very suitable for logos when there are few letters (less than 5, which is the case of the one in question).
I agree! otherwise it looks insignifiant unless there are something else like in this:

All-caps

FPN0yZe.png

Not All-caps

logo_binky_cornova.jpg

but in these cases the name is used as the logo itself wheareas we already have a logo, so the font have to be discret.

"Pyra" only looks weak, especially additioned to the wavy logo, the whole logo would looks weak, an all cap would give some strenght to the logo, but it has to match with the logo. Unless you find a very good lowercase, a wavy all caps would be the best choice.

I find most important of all: NO SERIFS! Never ever ever use serifs in a "serious" company logo font. It just don't look good (onto the screen). It also remembers me onto the dark ages of Internet, where every Website had huge, ugly Headline fonts with ugly serifs everywhere. :wacko:  (Yes, I even found the simple Google font not that great, at least they finaly made their logo "clean" recently.)
I think we need serifs, especially for this logo. To match with the wavy Pyra logo.

Depends on the font.

Less talk, more pics.
yeah! , yeah!

I still don't understand why y'all aren't praising the wonderful philosopher font!!

I still don't understand why y'all aren't praising the wonderful philosopher font!!
I actually quite like it. Its much more appropriate than some of the other suggestions in this thread.

I just don't like the ALL CAPS example image given

I thought Philosopher looked OK at best.  I don't currently have anything I think works better, and my tastes are a bit different from most at times, so...

Maybe the major issue is to include "Dragonbox", since ED said himself that he prefer philosopher more than the logo on the header although he put this one on the header.

The best I can see with "Dragonbox" is this (using URW Gothic L Book and Philosopher).

XMZwBQ9.png

QxjLAce.png

Still I prefer without Dragonbox.

Can you ED tell us your view and what can we do?

Kigas post above is incompatible with the Dragonbox font as it is used in the Dragonbox logo. And also with itself.

Further, the D d  and p P doesnt fit together.      dragonbox  dp  pyra   with enough space to not make it pPyra is the easy fix.

It looks ok, but its like getting the popular haircut rather than what looks good on your head.

It does mostly the same thing that the initial trademark filing does.

From what I remember ED didn't want a new logo/font, emblem or mascot for Dragonbox, since he liked the one that it has. (Registering something new is a question of time and money and potential problems atop that.)

Edit: Curiously, the font used in the Dragonbox logo, applied to the Pyra name, looks somewhat like

ROCCAT-Pyra-Mobile-Gaming-Mouse-Original-Brand-New-In-Box-Fast-and-Free-shipping-In-stock.jpg

Roccat held protection to name and mark, to be used as gaming periphrial among other things. I dont think they have it anymore. Probably since the pyra mouse wasnt good.

But to give you an idea of how original this type of thing is. Check this out.

Improving on the trademark filing, needs to do just that, where new entries have to be compatible with what exists.

I do think ED has some tricks up his sleeve for how to reach a broader audience.

Not everything is for everyone, and more things cover more people.

I like the one looking like a typewriter (Gecko)

So do I, but its hard to say what I like about it. I suppose it looks clean and tidy, but also a little wobbly and handmade.

Still, I think it looks good.

pyra-logo.png
GBYh47N.png

I prefer PYRA over Pyra. Mostly because lowercase r and a are so much more ambiguous than uppercase R and A. It's a short word, and it's a name, which means it's not a word shape people are used to already. So it's good to avoid letter shapes that are somewhat ambiguous -- the last thing we want is someone saying: oh, is that Pyrd or Pyta or Pqra?

Also I think serifs make sense for big-size fonts. For small running text, viewed on a screen, sans is better, but for big letters, serifs don't hurt at all.

It is currently very hip and trendy -- so if you ask me, boring -- for logos to be all lowercase and sans serif. The daughter of Pandora is at least 3000 years old though, and kind of timeless, so luckily we have no reason to adhere to the latest logo design trends.

Back