Public Announcement From The Official Web

The weird thing about this situation is that when my unit arrived I only had one problem with the unit and that was that one half of the screen was brighter, no flickering.

After a lot of messing about I installed the new 1.01 firmware... The brightness problem was gone but the flickering appeared, now the obvious conclusion here is that its a firmware issue and not hardware??

I will see what GBAX say about recalls but I hopefully another firmware update will fix this issue for me in the future.

error1 posted on Dec 5 2005 at 12:04 PM said:
TripHamer posted on Dec 5 2005 at 11:57 AM said:
I've come to the conclusion that I would need batteries that are greater that 3V combined (or better then just what alkaline batteries can put out -- can't use NiMH recharagables at all). I have another thread where I documented this so I won't go into detail again here.

Yeah, GPH seriously needs to revamp the battery design on the next hardware revision.. IMO they should add a third battery to bump the voltage to 4.5V and use a regulator to keep it at 3.3V ..that way you wouldn't get the crashing once the voltage starts to drop :)

AFAIK, GPH has said that what we have now is the final unit and only firmware changes are going to happen. So I don't think there will be any significant hardware revisions in the near future. I would think that such revisions will make some people who already bought the unit pretty pissed. The "First Edition" branding was supposed to give their units an additional value, not the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.gpx2.co.kr/support/support_noti...age=1∂=00

They just announced recall for their Korean customers starting Dec 5th.

1. LCD brightness issue
2. LCD shaky display(?) issue (Not sure how to translate this one :) )
3. LCD white line on the left issue
4. LCD uneven left and right side brightness issue

Luckily enough, my unit so far doesn't show those issue.

1. *check* -flawless
2. *check* -some moving lines in the startup logo(green one) but that's it
3. *check* -flawless
4. *check* -flawless

There's been a few "screen problems" threads, and I'm not entirely sure where I should post this. I certainly don't want to start a new one, so I'm going to post it here.

My gp2x has a slight - for want of a better phrase - contrast banding problem with the screen. It's only been noticable recently, since around the time I updated to the 1.01 firmware. I say "around" because I'm not sure if it was present before the update, as 1) I had other far more noticable screen issues, which have now been fixed by the firmware, and 2) I have a sketchy short term memory.

I've made a mockup of the problem, but I can try and get a photo when I get home, if it helps:

lines6qo.jpg

The thing is, it's ONLY noticable on black backgrounds. For example, the GP2X startup logo, the underground levels on Super Mario Brothers, space shoot-em-ups, etc. It's not noticable at all on full colour games/apps such as Final Fight, Mortal Kombat 2, etc.

It might be a bit irritating on movies and stuff like that, but I'm not really using it for that sort of thing.

So I guess my question is: Is this a hardware or a firmware issue? Is anyone else seeing this? As I said, it's only been a recent thing, and I don't think it's bad enough to warrent a return, but it's slightly irritating, and it would be nice to know if it's fixable.

You should think of returning your unit, you might have a defective one, the new firmware fixes most of their problems however they stay somewhat defective...

I don't have that issue, the black screen is dark as a room in the basement without any lights :)

gleng posted on Dec 5 2005 at 12:34 PM said:
I've made a mockup of the problem, but I can try and get a photo when I get home, if it helps:

lines6qo.jpg

I have this problem aswell however it didnt appear until the newest firmware upgrade was installed so much like the flickering I now have I still think its a firmware issue. Its all starting to get quite annoying for me, these things dont bother me too much but Id rather have a perfect unit like everyone else seems to have.

Ninjia^ posted on Dec 5 2005 at 12:59 PM said:
I have this problem aswell however it didnt appear until the newest firmware upgrade was installed so much like the flickering I now have I still think its a firmware issue.
Ah, cool. Someone else with the same problem as me. ;)

I didn't notice it until after the firmware upgrade, so that must be it then. I also have some slight flickering, but it's more like a crt monitor at 60Hz than any of the really nasty dimming and flickering that others are seeing. The flickering has also only been present since the update, so I know that's a firmware problem.

Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 5 2005 at 01:02 PM said:
^did you have any other problems with the unit BEFORE you upgraded the firmware? If not, I am sure to not upgrade mine :)
Before I upgraded to 1.01, I had the wavy diagonal interference line problem. The contrast banding issue doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as the wavy lines, so for me it's an improvement!

gleng posted on Dec 5 2005 at 12:25 PM said:
Before I upgraded to 1.01, I had the wavy diagonal interference line problem. The contrast banding issue doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as the wavy lines, so for me it's an improvement!

I have the same lines, however only visible on special backgrounds(only on the green startup screen and the standard blue movie-screen), did you see them waving arround all the time before?

Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 5 2005 at 01:29 PM said:
I have the same lines, however only visible on special backgrounds(only on the green startup screen and the standard blue movie-screen), did you see them waving arround all the time before?
They were very strong, but more prominent on blue and green as you say. They were particularly bad when the cpus were under heavy load, when using emulators and suchlike.

They're completely gone after the 1.01 update. The slight flickering and banding is a little bit irritating, but at least it's uniform and not distracting. The wavy lines were REALLY annoying.

Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 5 2005 at 11:29 AM said:
http://www.gpx2.co.kr/support/support_noti...age=1∂=00

They just announced recall for their Korean customers starting Dec 5th.

1. LCD brightness issue
2. LCD shaky display(?) issue (Not sure how to translate this one :) )
3. LCD white line on the left issue
4. LCD uneven left and right side brightness issue

Luckily enough, my unit so far doesn't show those issue.

1. *check* -flawless
2. *check* -some moving lines in the startup logo(green one) but that's it
3. *check* -flawless
4. *check* -flawless

My GP2X after several check:

1. *check* -flawless
2. *check* -flawless
3. *check* -flawless
4. *check* -flawless

B)

i get very niticable indentation looking blobs when i move the stick left + right,

its not that noticable tho when ur playing a game or such, only when the screen is kind of dark. im not bothered by it tbh, if it happens it happens.

The Units that flicker or lose brightnes when you move the stick to the left or right are definitely damaged, no firmware will fix it! ED said they use more power when the stick gets pressed to the left or right, that's why the screen doesn't get enough power to light everything brightly... afaik it wasn't something that can be solved through firmware, cause he send all units that had that problem back to GPH after talking to them and hearing that it's a hardware fault...

Back