Beta Psx4Pandora Beta

Awesome, Thanks Zod! psx was one on the main reasons I ordered a pandora. I can't wait to try it out.

All sounds very good/promising...

One query - the videos of psx running on pandora from months and months ago (wipeout? maybe others) all seemed to be full screen and full speed.(Could have been OC'd)

EDIT: Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkbFdJG5xuY - looks fullspeed with sound. Is this the same emu?

Was that a different emu? IS this a port of ePSXe or something else?

ED did say it was not using the GPU side of things so software emulation going on here prehaps?

The GPU plugin that was made by Tinnus was damaged due to harddrive failure or something. Is this what I read a few months ago? So I'm assuming it's not been powered by that nice plugin yet.

joshwaan2k said:
ED did say it was not using the GPU side of things so software emulation going on here prehaps?

The GPU plugin that was made by Tinnus was damaged due to harddrive failure or soomething. Is this what I read a few months ago. So I'm assuming it's not been powered by that nice plugin yet.

Ah, thanks. Does that mean MWeston's video above used the GLES plugin by Tinnus? (looks like no filtering on the scaling, but hard to tell)

Shame he still does not have the binary if Tinnus lost his ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried Hydra Thunder 800MHZ runs full speed sound is just meh but it's looking good. fix the sound and give me a centred screen and I'm happy camper :)

Zodttd is the sound problem a sync issue you reckon?

Also save states seems to work. sound did not come back after I'd loaded the save state might just been that game. have to try more.

silver said:
Shame he still does not have the binary if Tinnus lost his ;-)
Tinnus said he would redo it. And do it better from what I remember.
So as usual it just a matter of waiting.

Hey zodttd, great emu! I just tested it with silent bombmer, runs decent at 500, but I'm sure it will run cleaner at a higher speed. Of course the audio is scambled, as was stated.

My unit is hanging up when I try and run policenauts(english patch ver). It runs fine on my pc, so I know the iso is good, maybe check it out, and let me know whats causing it.

The emu window comes up in the upper left, but the game never starts, and the image is total distortion, and it locks up. It won't let me exit to the desktop. I'll hold the power switch, but It takes several minutes for the Pandora to finally shutdown. Thanks!

Chris

zodttd said:
Bring on the feedback and let's get this polished up.

Other than the aforementioned sound issues I haven't run into a bugs.

I tried out worms Armageddon which ran well enough.

I noticed one strange thing. While I was in the in-game menu it was basically full screen, but when the game started it scaled down again.

How come it can scale in the menu but not in-game?

Thanks for your work Zod.

zod, do you still want that to use that NEON scaling/color conversion code I did a billion years ago? I thought you were using DSS2 so didn't need it. Come to think of it, you did end up getting it, right?

Eep! Just woke up...

The app does scale fullscreen using fbset. This could also be a performance issue running it like that.
I wonder if the PND package I made isn't allowing psx4pandora to run as root, which may be required.

root is currently required since I execute psx4pandora like so:
1 PND runs exec command on run.sh.
2 run.sh executes: op_runfbapp ./psx4pandora
Normally this requires sudo. During testing on my end with libpnd I didn't need sudo. I must of been mistaken though.
3. psx4pandora calls a fbset.sh script which sets the framebuffer to the appropriate size to blit to.

Sorry about the messed up package. I will use gksudo as recommended by DJWillis.

Sound ok?

Thanks!

zodttd said:
root is currently required since I execute psx4pandora like so:
Don't mess with root/sudo (games/emus should not need to run as root), use the solution I posted on IRC.

Just tested it out with the PSX version of Diablo. Sound was of course garbled. The game felt a little slow to begin with at 750mhz but I believe the PSX port felt that way on original hardware too. Saving to the memory card resulted in the SDHC I/O light going solid green and the entire Pandora becoming non-responsive for several minutes at which point I reset. After resetting the Pandora, I screwed around in the dungeon for about a minute before the game horribly slowed down and started flickering what looked like technicolor 2d wireframe.

Hi, great work on the emu btw! anyhow i had an error exiting the app, well lack of exiting, i held ABXY + LR and the screen where the emu was shows a gabbled mini menu and wont return without taking the battery out...great if you could just add a simple exit emu on the options ta!

jaycee900 said:
Hi, great work on the emu btw! anyhow i had an error exiting the app, well lack of exiting, i held ABXY + LR and the screen where the emu was shows a gabbled mini menu and wont return without taking the battery out...great if you could just add a simple exit emu on the options ta!

Try the old PC trick. Hold down the power button (or Pandora button?) for 4+ seconds and see if it flips off.

Exophase: I have the NEON code (which worked great) but it was for scaling + color conversion of 320x240 -> 640x480 only. What could work out great is NEON code for the various resolutions upscaled to 640x480 and centered horizontally. Then I could stop relying on fbset so much. It works now, and seems to work well now though.

Fantastic!

Running at 750mhz it seems almost full speed in Soul Blade. Bushido Blade seems full speed. Gran Turismo 2 is a bit slow but looked awesome on the small screen!

Can't wait for sound to be improved. Thank you so much zodttd!!!!!

Edit: forgot to say that sound gets stuck repeating when entering the menu e.g. to save or load state, or load a new game.

Back