Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

LegendaryMachine said:
evol said:
LegendaryMachine said:
Just out of curiosity, does any one know a good way to rip PSX games from a computer running on Mac OSX?
install cdrdao and rip your copy from the original with the commandline

cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile mycopy.bin --device 0,0,0 --driver generic-mmc-raw mycopy.toc

[bus,id,lun] is 0,0,0 for the first device 0,1,0 for the second and so forth

or you could give the servicename to the device like

cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile mycopy.bin --device IODVDServices --driver generic-mmc-raw mycopy.toc

Er...I have no idea on how to install CDRDAO...sorry, but can you help? :unsure:

I understand all of the other instructions, though

here matey if you want to compile it yourself oldstyle http://osx.freshmeat.net/projects/cdrdao/
and here for the mac way http://cdrdao.darwinports.com/
heres the real lazy way of installing gnu utils on OSX its a package manager http://www.finkproject.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried pocketISO and can't get it to work..the emulator won't recognize the files (I'm using PocketISO 2.2)...can anyone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

tkeely4777 said:
I tried pocketISO and can't get it to work..the emulator won't recognize the files (I'm using PocketISO 2.2)...can anyone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
I'm using PocketIso 2.2 and I have no problems. What exactly do you mean by "the emulator won't recognize the files"?

Lobo said:
I'm using PocketIso 2.2 and I have no problems. What exactly do you mean by "the emulator won't recognize the files"?
there's an additional extension on the end of 'iso' (can't recall what it is off the top of my head at the moment) and I can't change it, and since the emulator onlylooks for certain files with particular extensions, i can't get it to recognize it..

tkeely4777 said:
Lobo said:
there's an additional extension on the end of 'iso' (can't recall what it is off the top of my head at the moment) and I can't change it, and since the emulator onlylooks for certain files with particular extensions, i can't get it to recognize it..
It should be .znx - Yes? From what I remember the more extreme compression creates .z files which are not supported. I was ages ago I ripped my psx games though, so its a bit fuzzy.

Edit; Hmm wiki suggest .z is supported too... You do need the other file generated as well...

Tested

Command and Conquer (GDI disc)

Cpu - 280
Ram Tweaks - ON
Psx Clock - 40%
Sound - Off
Interlace - 0

Fps in-game - 21-29 (feels like around 70% of normal speed)
Video's - feels like around 80% of normal speed

It's pretty playable ^^

Has the PSX Clock switch changed? (Stick In + L / R)

Regards
bOing

Sorry My Bad, Stick in / Vol + and - = lol forgot already.

Jaylink said:
Tested

Command and Conquer (GDI disc)

Cpu - 280
Ram Tweaks - ON
Psx Clock - 40%
Sound - Off
Interlace - 0

Fps in-game - 21-29 (feels like around 70% of normal speed)
Video's - feels like around 80% of normal speed

It's pretty playable ^^
Really! Sweet! Someone should port freecnc.

New version up!
Version 040407_B.

New in this version:
- Faster
- Better
- All the above with a lot less memory usage (2MB cache instead of 12MB+)

Btw, MDEC (movie decoding engine) speed might be faster this release as it's not the SD card ports fault, but actually a timing misjudgement. I also already have a nice readahead buffer caching system I wrote for ISO support. :)

Lot's more optimizations coming, including some cool usage of the stack pointer that Exophase and I discussed. Unai is back working on things as well, such as fixing a bug in the GTE, and I'm focused on performance. A little bit more speed and I'll start fixing other stuff up.

Strikers 1945 supposedly runs fullspeed at 30 FPS. PS1 games seem to run at either half NTSC/PAL or it's full 60/50 FPS.

Hope you like this version. Let me know how things run.

Wow Zoddtd. Just downloaded previous release and was going to post my findings when you uploaded this one. This new one is significantly better than the previous one (using FF7).

Clocked at 290mhz with enhanced ram timings, psx cpu at 36%, sound off, and interlace count at 0:
Intro movie: says an avg of 10.5 fps, but seems like 3/4 full speed
Walking around: 20fps: very playable
Battles: begin very slow, but after a few seconds seems just a little better than half full speed, games says 6fps. Also, there doesn't seem to be cursors over the enemies heads in the battles (there was a similar problem in emus based off pcsx).

Very impressive release, although at 290mhz mind you. I didn't use sound because my ears are still burning from testing sound on the previous release.

Hmm, 7 sucks to be honest. ;P If it got to 15 it would be a lot smoother I bet. From the sounds of it, its probably running normally at 30 FPS. Does this game have 3D operations in it?

Thanks Zodttd :)
How faster will run Wipeout now? Going to test right now :)

zodttd said:
Hmm, 7 sucks to be honest. ;P If it got to 15 it would be a lot smoother I bet. From the sounds of it, its probably running normally at 30 FPS. Does this game have 3D operations in it?
yes it uses 3d strongly its a wrestling game and ingame it fullspeed would be 30fps
but at least finally i can play smackdown 2 portable....sort of :D

I have a version I'm working on now that gets 15 FPS in Wipeout XL in-game fairly steady at 266MHz interlaced. Hopefully I'll get another frame per second and make another release soon enough. :)

Back