Psx?

Nope, at least if you mean the CPU. The xbox has slightly modified celeron cpu, which is 32 bit, the Gamecube has a PowerPC processor, which is is mostly 32bit, however it has a 64bit floating point unit, and the PS2, well, its pretty hard to tell. The PS2s hardware is much different to anything else. It's main CPU is 128 bit, however there are so many co-processors which arent well documented that I really can't tell you for sure.

Sorry! That was rather dumb of me. I'd just woke up - of course you're right. :)

Although it was capable of anti-aliasing, no game ever used it. The reason why everything is so blurry is because of the low resolution most games use, and the generally crappy video output the system produces.

Are you sure? The N64 ran at 640 x 480 I thought? Or did most games run at much lower than that?

Would it be possible that the n64 used two 32 bit processors to create a '64' bit machine?

The Atari Jaguar did that, however the N64 *is* a true 64-bit machine.

RockOut posted on Feb 15 2004 at 04:02 PM said:
:D I did some research and discovered that 64 bit processors just came out like 2 years ago. Now if that's true, N64 being 6 or 7 years old could not possibly be 64 bits. A 90 mhz processor simply does not have the capacity for 64 bits. That is probably why they just came out with 64 bit computers recently.
64-bit Processor History and Products:
64-bit processors are not entirely new. They have been used for decades in high end computing applications with the UNIX operating system.

I'm sure a more in depth googling would get an exact date of the first processor. Also have a look at the Sun Microsystems site, they have been selling 64bit products (software and hardware) for many years.

-_-

Last edited by a moderator:
Rofl, swiss is owning everyone, and rock is making himself look s-m-r-t :D Lemme guess, you come from GBA boards....right?

I did some research and discovered that 64 bit processors just came out like 2 years ago. Now if that's true, N64 being 6 or 7 years old could not possibly be 64 bits. A 90 mhz processor simply does not have the capacity for 64 bits. That is probably why they just came out with 64 bit computers recently.

The concept for 64-bit is as old as the concept for 32-bit. The reason why 64-bit processors are so revolutionary now is because the big boys (Windows and Linux, and their server counterparts) have started to support them. A 32-bit processor uses 16-bits to resolve addresses and is the size of one WORD (short integer). A DOUBLE WORD (dword, or long integer...usually) is 32-bits. On a 64-bit processor, its 32-bits to a WORD and 64-bits to a DOUBLE WORD.

For the N64, 64-bit does not refer to the colour. Your TV wouldn't be capable of displaying 64-bits of colour. It stands for the amount of bits pumped through the CPU in a given segment. A 64-bit processor can have larger index tables (memory mapping), more registers, and larger numbers. This is especially crucial in 3D games, where floating point calculations are used to determine almost everything having to do with graphics, and possibly why polygons on the N64 seem to be quite a bit smoother then the PSX (less jaggies and pixelation), but I'm stepping out of my area of expertise here.

Now here's the specs. It was the first or second item from "nintendo 64 is 64-bit" on google.

http://consoledatabase.retrofaction.com/co...nfo/nintendo64/
Nintendo 64 Technical Specifications

CPU type: MIPS 64-Bit RISC CPU (customized R4000 series)

CPU Clock Speed: 93.75 MHz

Memory: RAMBUS D-Ram 36-Mbit

Transmission Speed: Maximum of 4 500 Mbit/second

Co-Processor: RCP: SP (sound and graphics processor) and DP (pixel drawing processor) incorporated

Co-Processor Clock Speed: 62.5 MHz

Picture resolution: 256 x 224 ~ 640 x 45 dots

Flicker-free interlaced mode support

Color: 32-Bit RGBA pixel color frame buffer support, 21-Bit color video output

Graphics Processing Functions: Z Buffering, Anti-Aliasing, Realistic texture mapping (Tri-linear mip-map interpolation, environment mapping, perspective correction)

Dimensions: Width 260mm (10.23") x Depth 190mm (7.48") x Height 73mm (2.87")

Weight: 1.1kg (2.42 lb.)

I like this topic.

I think generalnmx post sums it up best.

From a technical point of view (almost) everything is possible. Even writing an emulator that runs on some AtariST basic, that runs on the GP32s AtariST emulator.

You can also write an XBOX emulator in VisualBasic or an PS2 emulator on the GP32. Not enough memory? Just use the SMC as extra memory (this is not a serious suggestion). Hooking up a DVD drive to your EXT port, no problem.

The only question here is who is waiting on (and willing to put the effort in creating) an emulator that runs at 1 FPM (Frame Per Minute) or slower.

What I am trying to say is that there is almost always a way to show something can be done in theorey, but 99 times out of 100 it doesn't amount to anything practically

Now you're all picking at straws.

Serious Problems:
- The N64 and PSX both have dedicated graphics chips. The GP32 have none, which means the CPU would have to do the work (which is a slow process).

- The N64 and PSX ROM size exceed the GP32's working RAM memory space (which is 4MB, not 8MB). Custom bioses may be able to increase the working RAM space to 8MB, but that really wouldn't solve the problem.

>>Psx rom size is half a meg, N64 isn't much bigger- although the ROM cartridges are fairly big. The PSX only has 2.5 MB of ram. 2MB if you disable sound emulation (.5 MB was for sound),.

- The PSX ISO images greatly exceed the compacity of the SMC! That means the images would have to be rended between 2-4 128MB SMCs.
>>Yes, until you strip out FMV and CD music- then the ISO are often below 128MB

This doesn't even begin to mention about the problems adapting the current PSX and N64 emulators, which have a lot of ASM speed-ups.

The Pocket PSX port homepage is here, it makes interesting reading:

http://fpsearm.psxfanatics.com/

>>The pocketPC PSX emu uses ARM asm, the same as we do.
Technically, it's possible to create a N64 and PSX emulator. Given about three years

>>Transfering the PocketPC port definetly won't take three years, the ASM is already in the correct format.

>> Will it ever be fast on the GP? no, it runs well on a 300MHZ PocketPC, I guess you could play turn based RPG's. Number of buttons would be a real problem.

Will there ever be an N64 emu? no, that hardware will neverbe emulated by the GP

Back