The Next Gp2X Or Pandora2 Should Be That ...

do you prefer a 4:3 format or 16:9 for the next open source handheld ?

• Total voters

renejr902

Website
Visit site
If i was Gamepark or Craig the next handheld should be like that, no compromise:

4.0 or 5.0 ' Oled screen with 640 x 480 resolution. Format 4:3 better for old console. ( oled screen type that can be see in direct sun)
256 mb ram
1 ghz cpu.
10 hours battery
a 3D video card with 16 mb ram
The system must be enough strong to play n64 and ps1 emulator at 100% for any games. even dreamcast should be very playable.

i tried to think a handheld system that is possible to create but will cost a lot of money.

do you have better idea ? I HOPE GAMEPARK WILL SEE THIS THREAD !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer 16:9 or 16:10, the reason for that is you always have the option for viewing games in 4:3 to get the correct aspect ratio with black bars down the sides, I personally don't mind this as it's what I am used to on my TV and PC monitor. Plus you then have a wide screen for anything that is actually in wide screen such as movies, not forgetting that you should be able to change the resolution of 3D games to be the correct aspect ratio on a 16:9 display too!

If you have a 4:3 display, the only wide screen option you have is to letterbox the image, and I find that really annoying.

i prefer 4:3, but the 16:9 screen of the pandora with 800 x 480 resolution is a very good choice that for sure.but if it was me unfortunately you will have a 640 x 480 4:3 4.0' screen size. but i suppose the cost would be very high. i suppose all games in 4:3 format with the pandora will be in 640 x 480, so its a good idea. but honestly i really love 4:3 at 320 x 240 on the gp32 and gp2x for genesis emu

A good battery life will be great for portability, approximately 10 hours runtime between charges will be ideal but at the moment just wishful thinking.
huh.gif

renejr902 said:
The system must be enough strong to play n64 and ps1 emulator at 100% for any games. even dreamcast should be very playable.

hahaohwow.jpg

WarmFluffyUK said:
I prefer 16:9 or 16:10, the reason for that is you always have the option for viewing games in 4:3 to get the correct aspect ratio with black bars down the sides, I personally don't mind this as it's what I am used to on my TV and PC monitor. Plus you then have a wide screen for anything that is actually in wide screen such as movies, not forgetting that you should be able to change the resolution of 3D games to be the correct aspect ratio on a 16:9 display too!

If you have a 4:3 display, the only wide screen option you have is to letterbox the image, and I find that really annoying.
It is kind of the same thing what you say. You find bars on the top and bottom annoying but bars on the sides OK? They will both have bars depending on what you use it for.

The real thing that should matter is what you use it most for . If it is movies (although I still think watching movies on a tiny screen is a bit lackluster) then 16:9 or 16:10 is better because movies will fill the screen better. If you use it for emus then 4:3 is better because they will fill the screen better with the largest image possible.

Also for handhelds 4:3 is a better aspect because game buttons are usually on each side. 4:3 allows the unit to be more compact. With widescreen you end up with long skateboard handhelds like the PSP.

It hardly matters though as likely any new handhelds will be widescreen as that is what you can get easier.

I just will wish for OLED from now on. They don't last as long as LCDs but for handhelds that aren't on for 6 hours every day like a TV it is adequate. Once you get used to the even lighting, superior contrast and black level, fast response times, superior viewing angle, and vibrant colors it is hard to go back to LCD. Samsung has this tasty 800 x 480 OLEd out...

Gruso said:
Hey Bluesky: http://openpandora.w...-persia-agrees/

If these guys stick with it, we could well have playable DC on Pandora. So it's not a big ask for the next generation of handhelds. ;)

I hope this succeeds, mainly because it opens up a new library of more recent games for the Pandora (I'm not a GC fanboy, never had one). Although I'm curious about the spec of the machine they were using there. I'm guessing that Beagleboard was running at 500Mhz, that means an 800/900Mhz Pandora is going to help somewhat even before further internal fixes to the speed. Also do you know if any of that was being rendered in hardware yet? Lastly is there a page for NullDC's ARM/Pandora/Beagle development specifically?

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
He said VERY playable.

VERY.

I think of silky smooth with sound when I think of playable.
He's also talking about a future system. If they've reached this level on current tech, do you honestly believe that the next gen won't have made any progress?

Enverex said:
I hope this succeeds, mainly because it opens up a new library of more recent games for the Pandora (I'm not a GC fanboy, never had one). Although I'm curious about the spec of the machine they were using there. I'm guessing that Beagleboard was running at 500Mhz, that means an 800/900Mhz Pandora is going to help somewhat even before further internal fixes to the speed. Also do you know if any of that was being rendered in hardware yet? Lastly is there a page for NullDC's ARM/Pandora/Beagle development specifically?
I don't know if they specifically said anything was using the GPU, but there was the comment that the graphics are not the bottleneck.

WarmFluffyUK said:
What about a 16:9 display at something like 768x480, which means it would handle 4:3 at 640x480.

768x480 is nowhere near 16:9 you know?

Exophase said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
What about a 16:9 display at something like 768x480, which means it would handle 4:3 at 640x480.

768x480 is nowhere near 16:9 you know?

It's pretty close, but it's on the other side of movies from the Pandora

In order of increasing wideness:

4:3 = 1.3 repeating (Older laptops, desktops, video games)
16:10 = 1.6 (most laptop and desktop "widescreen" screens)
5:3 = 1.6 repeating (Pandora)
16:9 = 1.7 repeating (Movies)

edit: Fixed some glaring mathematical errors.
The Pandora will have top and bottom bars when playing movies, and side bars when playing 4:3 stuff. Obviously.
I'm still not seeing it as 16:10 though, wouldn't that be 768 by 480 or 800 by 500?

3856676247_500dee458c_o.png

lulzfish said:
In order of increasing wideness:

4:3 = 1.3 repeating (Older laptops, desktops, video games)
16:10 = 1.6 (most laptop and desktop "widescreen" screens)
16:9 = 1.6 repeating (Movies)
5:3 = 1.7 repeating (Pandora's incredibly wide screen)

So the Pandora will have left and right black boxes when playing a 16:9 movie, and a 16:10 screen will have top and bottom bars.

Pandora has 800x480 Square Pixels, which is exactly 16:10.

BTW: 16:9 = 1.7 repeating...

Last edited:
Back