Panasonic 3do Emulator

ninjawiz2x

Still Fresh
Hey dev's lets not forget that FreeDO will go opensource in 2 days , the souce code will be release to those willing to code.

www.3do-scene.org/

So far this is what ive digged up on the 3DO's hardware via wikipedia.

Processor
* 32-bit 12.5 MHz RISC CPU (ARM60) made by Advanced RISC Machines
* Math co-processor
* 32kb SRAM

Display
* Interpolated 640x480 resolution output to screen, upsampled from 320x240 or 320x480 internal resolution with either 16 bit palettized color (from 24 bits) or 24 bit truecolor.
* Two accelerated video co-processors capable of producing 9-16 million pixels per second (36-64 megapix/s interpolated), distorted, scaled, rotated and texture mapped.

System board
* 50 Mbit/s bus speed
* 36 DMA channels
* 2 megabytes of main RAM
* 1 megabyte of VRAM
* 2 expansion ports

Sound
* 16-bit stereo sound
* 44.1 kHz sound sampling rate
* Supports Dolby Surround Sound
* Custom 20-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP) -- 20 bit accumulator with 16bit parameter registers for extended precision

Media
* Double-speed (depending on manufacturer) 300 kB/s data transfer CD-ROM drive with 32 kB RAM buffer
* Multitasking 32-bit operating system

Isnt this like the worst game console ever i mean im happy to try the lame ass zelda games but youd be willing to donate for it why?

FreeDO will go opensource in 2 days
Really? That sounds great. Is there a link to this news somewhere?

I'd love to see someone in this scene take a look at it. I will leave no version of Road Rash unplayed. :D

I'll believe it when I see it, they've been teasing us with things for years.

Having said that, unless that source includes the GP2X version promised to us there's no way that it'd be fast enough for the Wiz.

darkriku posted on May 20 2009 at 07:52 PM said:
Isnt this like the worst game console ever i mean im happy to try the lame ass zelda games but youd be willing to donate for it why?
That's the CDi with the crappy Zeldas, not 3DO.

3DO was the first console to have impressive texture mapped 3D games (it was still the 16bit era of SNES & Genesis), a good while before the PSX and Saturn showed up. It actually had a few good games. And it had arguably the best version of Out of this World.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found the post do to there site i just cant link the http here it is :

The Godfather aka Main Eye.

View Profile WWW

OpenSource and 3do-scene.com countdown announcement.
« on: April 06, 2009, 01:55:51 AM »

Hello everybody,
Finally, after all this time, we were able to find some free time and put together few updates for you. As of today we're announcing countdown for new website and new features. here is short preview of what's coming on May 1st:

* New, web-site with all info available on the console's design
* Hosted Open SDK for opera -- it's raw and buggy but will let you create some useful games/demos; it's based on Eclipse, GCC and SDL
* All sources are accessible by SVN
* 3DO to IDE adapter -- with sources, schematics, layout and gerbers - LPC2168 based
* FPGA3DO is not being developed anymore -- instead a port to www.beagleboard.org is nearly completed. However all verilog and testbench sources are available on SVN

As it was said before -- this is our last contribution to the 3DO community, everything else will be done by the community itself from that point on. I personally going to maintain hosting and domain registration for next 3 years, any donations are welcomed to keep the site up past that point (hosting is $10 month)
Editors, bloggers and developers are welcome to register with our joomla; all registrations will be personally validated to insure spam-free environment. Developers, interested to obtain write access to svn, will be asked to contact me via email/pm/icq.

Prophet posted on May 21 2009 at 01:23 AM said:
darkriku posted on May 20 2009 at 07:52 PM said:
That's the CDi with the crappy Zeldas, not 3DO.
3DO was the first console to have impressive texture mapped 3D games (it was still the 16bit era of SNES & Genesis), a good while before the PSX and Saturn showed up. It actually had a few good games. And it had arguably the best version of Out of this World.

Also the best Road Rash too.

Monster Manor was a cool Wolfenstein clone set in spooky environments.

Killing time was a bit framey but was good and the music was great.

Don't forget Shockwave, Total eclipse shooter, immercenary, POed etc.

Still I think a playable 3DO emu is above the Wiz's paygrade. This one is probably one for the Pandora.

Exophase posted on May 20 2009 at 08:20 PM said:

Having said that, unless that source includes the GP2X version promised to us there's no way that it'd be fast enough for the Wiz.
In other words I have to start the Bid at $20 ...

I thought about asking about this but I figured I'd be the only one who would care!

I would donate for this JUST to play Twisted on the go. So far I've at least been able to play most of the games I liked on the 3DO with the Sega CD emulator but Twisted, Guardian War, and some others are sorely missing in my life right now.

Even if it just barely passed as playable I'd be satisfied.

ninjawiz2x posted on May 21 2009 at 06:38 AM said:

Bounties for emulators have NEVER been effective, unless you can payroll someone thousands of dollars then I doubt it's going to make a difference.

Exophase posted on May 21 2009 at 10:10 AM said:
ninjawiz2x posted on May 21 2009 at 06:38 AM said:

Bounties for emulators have NEVER been effective, unless you can payroll someone thousands of dollars then I doubt it's going to make a difference.
$30...$30 towards the project as a donation from me

Exophase posted on May 21 2009 at 03:27 PM said:
Did you listen to what I posted =(
$40? :p

I'm interested in seeing what's actually released source wise, if anything.

Exophase posted on May 21 2009 at 10:27 AM said:
Did you listen to what I posted =(
they promised a dreamcast version and that never saw the light of day , but what I know is their releasing it, its open source and the specs are somewhat a 1.5ver of sega/mega CD . Further more it runs on a ARM CPU architecture . Now I have money , you can code I give you money , I cant give you $1,000 cause im just a low income dude . But like a small fire I would like to be the first to add the first drop of fuel to get the blaze going hoping others will follow. So im bumping my first donation to $40...

ninjawiz2x posted on May 21 2009 at 03:46 PM said:
they promised a dreamcast version and that never saw the light of day , but what I know is their releasing it
They (really more like one person) promised versions for Dreamcast, GP2X, PocketPC, probably other platforms. Complete with functional descriptions and even release dates. And every time nothing came of it, not so much as a screenshot. For some of the versions strange excuses were presented, like legal problems or the controls of the device not being good enough, but for the GP2X release they were completely silent. I even got a PM from someone in touch with the author saying it was going to be released over the weekend and asking if I wanted to test it.

They've also been saying it'll be open sourced for a pretty long time now. Not saying it won't be, but I'm not holding my breath. It's supposed to be today right?

, its open source and the specs are somewhat a 1.5ver of sega/mega CD . Further more it runs on a ARM CPU architecture .
I don't know about that assertion, you might see 12MHz 68k and think that's similar to 12MHz ARM but the latter is much faster. Wiz may be ARM as well but they're not exactly compatible for a number of reasons and the code has to be translated for this. It's not that it can't be done, it's just that it's a certain amount of work. I know the FreeDO team has claimed to accomplish it already on GP2X but since nothing was released I'm skeptical that anything was done beyond just ideas. If sticking with an interpreter then it'll use a large chunk of CPU since ARM takes a lot to interpret. But I'd be more concerned about the math chips and the graphics chips.

All I'm really going on here is that the FreeDO WE know to exist is not nearly fast enough to run well on the Wiz. If there's really a super optimized for ARM version in the source code that really will be released then that's great. I doubt you'd have a hard time finding someone to port it. Until such a thing is out there we just don't know.

Now I have money , you can code I give you money , I cant give you $1,000 cause im just a low income dude . But like a small fire I would like to be the first to add the first drop of fuel to get the blaze going hoping others will follow. So im bumping my first donation to $40...
It's not really about money. Most programmers have jobs, and I certainly don't make $80 an hour like Peter_R said but this project could take a long time. I have released things that I'm sure I've put over 1000 hours of programming work on, so they're worth tens of thousands of dollars in work money. No one would expect to be paid that for something like this but these bounties, even for popular projects, rarely generate much over $100. Unless someone's really hard up for money and is going to lose their apartment or starve to death, or is not an adult, then an amount of money like that isn't going to be enough incentive on its own to push someone to give up what might be very limited free time. Yeah, if a bounty of several thousand grew that'd be something else, but come on. We're talking about 3DO, and we're talking about people putting money towards something that might never happen.

See you in 1 day and 10 hours I guess.

Guy can't stick to a release date to save his life. You'd think he'd stop announcing them.

Back