GP2X Pssst!

Your posts crack me up.

It's funny to read about menus and sound and highscores being done last, I am in the exact same boat. I keep anguishing over the main menu and trying to make it snazzier. I now realize I've spent just as much time on it as the whole rest of the port and it's a little ridiculous.

And I'm still not in the mood to finish it.

Yeah I hate doing menus, for me they are really hard to get right. My code gets really messy and the colours dont look the same on my gp2x as they do on a moniter. It gets tedius very quickly.

I seem to have broken my personal best for lieing comatose in scattering of empty beer cans and my own bodily secretions. Sadly I was 'saved' from this state of blissful unconciousness by a 'friend' throwing a bucket of water over me. Thanks to a diet of porrige and chicken soup I am slowly recovering the pitiful memories that constitute my life.

Oddly this project surfaced ahead of some more troubling gaps in my recall. Like, who is that bint that keeps using a vacuum cleaner, and why doesn't she use a garden rake like I usually do ?

It seems as if I have a working menu system and have added the sound, (for the most part). I also seem to have fudged in a high score table - I am particularly proud of this piece of abysmal tweaking. Not bothered to think through a coherent system for dealing with high scores, I have hacked and bullied a menu into doing the job. It truly is atrocious.

Adding sound has an element of fun to it - but mostly it is a tedious pain. You can use Audacity to capture sounds and convert them to .ogg files. These can then be turned into files with bin2h in the same manner as the graphics were.

The internet is awash with sounds that you can capture with Audacity. YouTube videos are a good source - all those musicians making odd noises etc. You could also get a microphone and chase bees around the park - but you will probably find a better quality bee sound already available.

Considering the platform and knowing that this game will never reside on an SD card for longer than it takes to be played once ( before the space is needed for more ROMZ), I am tempted to call it a day. However, I am not happy with the blossoming flower so I will probably redo that.

If anyone would like to be a tester let me know.

I'll be a tester.. Also, check out the freesound project: http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/

It's where I got the death sound for TileWorld2X after the original one made my ears bleed and neighbor's kids cry. Do a search for "pinball" and there's a fella that did a complete upload of Williams pinball sound effects. Tons of others, too.

Thank you Senor Quack. I have PM'd you.

Any one else ? It is just like a ROMZ except you don't have to get it from a WAREZ site and you don't need an EMU to run it.

I'll only test if it has the c64 loading screen. None of this speccy loading screen border stuff :) booo speccy!! :) hehehe

pm me, I'll test.

Mr Jabberwocky: I sent you a PM with suggestions after testing it for a bit

To all you non-testers... it's a good game, you'll like it :D

Thank you for your recommendations Senor Quack. I have rewritten the input handling and made Y another fire button. I also speeded up the menu a tad.

I have PM'd you, YakumoFuji and Alex. with a link to the updated build.

Thank you for your help.

Wow!...this is such a great tutorial. I've been ill for a while, but i'm now ok and picking up this tutorial again.

It's really useful to see how you're implementing all of the little bits to bring the game together. It's motivating me to continue with my GP2x project.

Keep it up... :)

some feedback;

- no volume control on the zx load screen (i about had a fit when it started and couldnt stop it). thankfully there is an option to turn it off.

- I cant drop cans? once i pick one up that seems to be it and its all I can use... so I can never pick up the hearts/coins etc... kinda frustrating.

- are you supposed to die if a worm touches the can you are holding or just you?

- main menu seems slow to honor stick movement up+down?

got s sick + tired lilttle 5mo boy right now so i'll do some more testing when hes abed tonight.

You drop cans by placing them on an open shelf, then pick up things from the other shelves.

I have stumbled across this.

It reads :

Parabellum Games said:
Mr. Jabberwocky’s Pssst!: A collection of posts made at the GP32X forums Jabberwocky’s progress reports on his development on a game. While I question some parts of his coding style, I can’t deny the amount of detail inserted. It gives a clear idea on the steps and blocks taken to build a game using SDL and getting it finished.
It reminds me of my school reports :

School Report said:
He is an idiot but he tries hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, that is my blog :p.
He is an idiot but he tries hard.

Haha, I am surprised to see that on a school report but the latter is infinitely true. Personally, I prefer someone that is good skills and puts forth all their effort rather then someone that has exceptional skills but is lazy.

Me and my brother just tried the latest build last night on my 32inch lcd with tv out...

It looks very good. It's coming along. It's given me inspiration to continue with my project.

J

much better. I die all the time ;) I need to play some more to better test. You need to make the intro skippable by hitting start or something. Its way too long to sit through (cheers for the volume control on it tho).

Difficulty really goes up when you need to use more than one can type on bugs :) aka level2+... Im guessing thats its same difficulty compared to the original.

havnt run into any show stoppers or anything yet but i cant get past level 2.

It would be nice (but not I guess in the spirit of the original) to swap cans when you touch another can rather than put can down in empty spot and pickup another can. that would also make picking up bonusses much easier)

You get much better at it with some practice, I'm at level 4 now :)

Btw I like the anti-cheating measures... I tried to stay at level one by killing all but one worm that's eating the plant, and just pick up the 1000p bonus objects as they appear, but after a while bees and those fuzzy nasty things started to appear :D

I sent the author a PM a couple of weeks ago and sadly got no reply. It's a pity since the last beta he sent over back in November seemed 100% complete, and this is a very very fun game :)

Back