GP32 New to C/C++ & GP32 ? Love the ZX Spectrum ?

Gizmo

Still Fresh
I have good programming skills, but not in C or C++ ! I am also used to having a reliable, fully working, development environment set up for me and it being ready to go ! I didn't realise how lucky I was at college and work ! Spending hours searching the net for recommended files and advice is a total waste of good development time ! If anybody else is in the same situation then it would be great to team up, to share downloaded files and downloaded source and swap notes on Gp32 C/C++ development.

I know the GP32 has a Spectrum EMU BUT....

.. I am just a big retro gamer at heart and want to port my fave ZX Spectrum games making them graphically better and extending their game play here are there. If anybody is interested in extracting and enhancing ZX Spectrum sprites, designing splash screens, designing levels etc. then again it would be great to team up.

Any recommendations for classic ZX Spectrum games that could be given a whole new lease of life on the GP32

Could anyone write a really good story line for a gothic graphic adventure ? Something logical and adult, rather than find the magic crystal to kill the evil witch – something more like a detective story with twists and turns and mental puzzles.

The reason I ask is that I have found some of the Z80 assembler source code to Atic Atac. So I am thinking of porting / remaking that. I am really torn between a close remake of the original Atic Atac. Which I assume could never be commercially released. Or writing Atic Atac 2 which could potentially be a commercial release. Atic Atac 2 would be a mix of Atic Atac/RPG and cartoon / graphic novel images to tell the story.

The advantage of a close remake is that I can use the existing sprites. Atac Atac 2 would need a mass of new graphics and sprites which takes me 1000x longer than writing the code for a game.

Anyway back to my sprite handlers and performance testing

Hi Gizmo

I'd love to see a rework of ranarama - it's possibly my fave game on the ole speccy
I did start to rewrite it - but have no time to complete it :)

Hi, I really liked that game too - I used to play it on the Amstrad though. If you're interested then I'll do the coding if you can do the graphics !

Gizmo posted on Sep 1 2003 said:
[snip]

Any recommendations for classic ZX Spectrum games that could be given a whole new lease of life on the GP32

[snap]

Anyway back to my sprite handlers and performance testing
I personally would *love* to see remakes of most Ultimate games like
- Knight Lore and Jetpac

Also those numerous platformers stole my spare time back then like:
- Wally series, especially Pyjamarama
- Manic MIner, Jetset Willy etc

:rolleyes:

For high performance sprite code check http://www.deadcoderssociety.tk and there
the compiled sprite example :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be in luck ! I am testing my sprite and core game routines using a JetPac clone ! No sound yet but it's staying fast so far. Trying to add lighting effects to the sprite handlers at the moment - not sure what that will do to the performance. I am trying to make Jetman's laser glow !

ZardozJones posted on Sep 1 2003 said:
Hi Gizmo

I'd love to see a rework of ranarama - it's possibly my fave game on the ole speccy
I did start to rewrite it - but have no time to complete it :)
Good call!. Iv'e almost beaten it on Castaway, and it's just as good as I remember it :) I'd also vote for a remake of 'Chaos'. A good little speccy strategy game. Or maybe paradroid- although I guess that was more of a C64 game.

Last edited by a moderator:
sabatour would be a s smooth as ! but any of the others mentioned would be pretty cool as well

I wish I tried games programming years ago !

Core game routines are coming along really well EXCEPT my rotating sprite routines – cos and sin functions don’t seem to work as expected and running the same FXE twice gives totally different results. Corrupted values rather than calculated values ! It also seems slow. But I have seen posts on this subject that I’ll follow up. I am hardly using the SDK and so I have tested with up to 40 small sprites on screen and it’s still fast. But it has no sound.

I am disassembling a few Z80 spectrum games to build and design game engines. I’ll stick with 2d to start with but will move on to simple 3D engines like Knight lore eventually.

I am so pleased with how it’s all going that I am very seriously thinking of commercial projects. But one step at a time !

I have chunks of gpJetPac working well, but I am now turning the hard coded game into a generic game engine.

gpJetPac will be a close clone of the ZX Spectrum game and will be my first release but initially it will only be going to people who design levels for gpJetPac 2 ! Same game engine but lots of new graphics and sound and utilising the mission component. So get your thinking caps on ! Anybody want to design a jetpac level with space ship and alien sprites ?

Back