PSP (Playstation Portable)

From what I'm experiencing with developing PCSP (let us say it is a C++ version of JPCSP), I think multi-core is a real necessity to keep a good responsiveness even if it may be because I am taking a very different road regarding the usual way an emulator does.

You'll need to run in parallel :

- Audio driver : it is quite heavy to emulate : up to 8+1 output channels to mix, N synthesizers with up to 32 voices for each. So far, with Windows 7 and WASAPI, I'd better to let kernel to mix several streams instead of an exclusive stream with a software mixer to keep a perfect responsiveness. --> N highest priority threads for best responsiveness.

- Audio codec : not currently implemented, but PSP is doing so through ME (second CPU + DSP), so you'd better have a dedicated thread. --> 1 higher priority thread.

- Video codec : not currently implemented, but PSP is doing so through ME (second CPU + DSP), so you'd better have a dedicated thread. --> 1 higher priority thread.

- Graphics engine : not currently done this way, but PSP is doing so through GE (graphics CPU + 3D renderer) --> 1 higher/normal(?) priority thread with OpenGL context.

- Allegrex emulation with HLE native functions : main CPU --> 1 normal thread.

You must understand that you should not block the thread in charge of the Allegrex interpretation or the HLE native functions execution to handle the other aspects of PSP emulation : graphics, audio, codec. If you block this thread, you will get a hell bunch of freezes and the worst responsiveness.

To be honest, I am less and less optimistic for a possible port of a PSP emulator on Pandora.

Forget it. If it's in java it's never going to run at a playable speed on the Pandora.

Milkshake, did you not read hlide's post above yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ho sorry i don't read correctly the name of emulator :wacko: This is fine ^_^

PCSP have a chance to be ported of our beloved Pandora ? Hlide say be less and less optimistic :(

I liken emulation to having a box and blocks of wood of different shapes. The Pandora is the box, and the blocks of wood are a puzzle that needs to fit in that box. Things like NES and Gameboy are small puzzles: you can see that the blocks will easily fit in the box, you could practically just dump them in without actually solving the puzzle. SNES and Genesis are a little bigger: you need to do at least some of the puzzle in order to get it small enough to fit, but many of the pieces can just be dumped in anyway, and if you do enough of the puzzle you have room left over for extra features. N64 and Playstation you see this big pile of blocks and can imagine that there might be some way to arrange them so they'll just fit, maybe a little wiggle room, but not much else. Dreamcast and PSP is even a little bigger pile than that: if the puzzle can be built into the box, it will just barely fit with no room for error.

Saturn, PS2, etc... they have a huge pile of pieces; an expert puzzle builder looks at it and knows that it doesn't matter how you arrange them, they just won't fit in the box.

I'm in favor of smashing all the blocks into little pieces and pouring them in. I mean, how much different is one string of ones and zeros from another? :D

I mean, how much different is one string of ones and zeros from another? :D

Very. In ASCII (assuming 8 bits are used for each character; the spaces are just to make it easier to read):

01000111 01101111 01101111 01100100 00100000 01100100 01100001 01111001 00100001

Good day!

01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100001

Fuck you!

Imagine the ensuing chaos if the programmer accidentally says such rude things to his/her computer! We don't want to have to deal with a cybernetic revolt.

Ho sorry i don't read correctly the name of emulator :wacko: This is fine ^_^

PCSP have a chance to be ported of our beloved Pandora ? Hlide say be less and less optimistic :(

I would like to know!

Hmmm, can't find the source. It's GPL, that's for sure, but I can't find the source code.

Also, if this runs slowly on PC, imagine how it'll run on the Pandora! It'll need a LOT of optimization.

Sure we can smash the blocks, but are you sure you wanna play smashed games?

Back