PSP (Playstation Portable)

Miv

Still Fresh
Will these games be playable on the Open Pandora?

(Search returned nothing.)

no is a strong statement to be made....a psp emu was in the works long ago, but i think it was abandoned until guy receives his pandora or something, dont expect god of war to run flawlessly though

I swear people were saying this about the N64 and it is pretty close, I'll just wait and see before thinking it is impossible or not.

I swear people were saying this about the N64 and it is pretty close, I'll just wait and see before thinking it is impossible or not.
I'm absolutely sure that nobody ever said that about the N64. People said it would take time before it was done (and that there may be some problematic titles - the usual suspects - if memory serves), not that it would never work or never be playable. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm absolutely sure that nobody ever said that about the N64. People said it would take time before it was done (and that there may be some problematic titles - the usual suspects - if memory serves), not that it would never work or never be playable. :p
In a year or two when PSP emulation is moving along fairly well (with some or many exceptions) Second Exodus will be remembering that people were also saying no about it and Prometheus or I will respond something along the lines of "no one who actually knew what they were talking about said 'no', just that it was taking a long time and may not be useful" :p

That may have been what you're remembering with N64: a few vocals emphatically saying "no" while most people were sitting back saying "well, maybe, in theory... it's close"

Now, if a Saturn emulator pops up, then feel free to remember everyone saying "no". I seem to recall even Exophase saying Saturn would never be emulated at a playable speed.

I liken emulation to having a box and blocks of wood of different shapes. The Pandora is the box, and the blocks of wood are a puzzle that needs to fit in that box. Things like NES and Gameboy are small puzzles: you can see that the blocks will easily fit in the box, you could practically just dump them in without actually solving the puzzle. SNES and Genesis are a little bigger: you need to do at least some of the puzzle in order to get it small enough to fit, but many of the pieces can just be dumped in anyway, and if you do enough of the puzzle you have room left over for extra features. N64 and Playstation you see this big pile of blocks and can imagine that there might be some way to arrange them so they'll just fit, maybe a little wiggle room, but not much else. Dreamcast and PSP is even a little bigger pile than that: if the puzzle can be built into the box, it will just barely fit with no room for error.

Saturn, PS2, etc... they have a huge pile of pieces; an expert puzzle builder looks at it and knows that it doesn't matter how you arrange them, they just won't fit in the box.

wow that must have been the best explanation of emulation that even a 4 year old could understand. sadly i still have no idea whats going on, must be cause i always like to put the outside piece of the puzzle together first

wow that must have been the best explanation of emulation that even a 4 year old could understand.
Convenient. I have a 4 year old niece. I'll find out if she gets it later :D

(probably not, kids have difficulty with volumes and fluid dynamics)

I thought the Saturn was more an issue of the complexity of actually writing the emulator than whether or not the Pandora had the horsepower to achieve emulation. To put it into puzzle block analogue, blocks will fit nicely, but just so many darn blocks that the puzzle would be more frustrating than the sense of accomplishment would drive the person to actually want to try. Or did I misunderstand? I thought it was very possible, just highly unlikely.

no is a strong statement to be made....a psp emu was in the works long ago, but i think it was abandoned until guy receives his pandora or something, dont expect god of war to run flawlessly though

JayFoxRox is working on one, and yes, he has a Pandora.

I seem to recall even Exophase saying Saturn would never be emulated at a playable speed.

I've definitely never said this. I've pondered pretty openly as to what would sort of approaches you might take and how significant each component looks. There are just way too many unknowns to estimate how well an extremely Cortex-A8 (and possible C64x DSP) optimized Saturn emulator could perform. I still think it's worth trying, if those involved are really good at efficient software rendering techniques, recompilers, and nailing suitable scheduling for emulating a bunch of stuff in parallel.

Sometimes the more you know about something the less you realize you actually know about it. If a concrete response has no thorough explanation you probably shouldn't give it a lot of weight.

I've definitely never said this. I've pondered pretty openly as to what would sort of approaches you might take and how significant each component looks.
Perhaps I was thinking of something else, not the Saturn? Or someone else I trust to know these things suggested there was just too much complexity.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot. These are all possibilities.

my bad didnt realize he had one as he doesnt show his face outside of irc these days i guess, or at least not around these forums, any idea of what progress he has made with that?

my bad didnt realize he had one as he doesnt show his face outside of irc these days i guess, or at least not around these forums, any idea of what progress he has made with that?
I can't read his blog anymore ???

But at least his website can give you hint that he worked on it quite recently (as in today :p )

I will let you find out how I can say "as in today" as a googling exercice

Oh and if you found it, don't get too exited, that mean nothing, beside he is working hard on it, not that he is close to release....

Wow is this image from a commercial game?

1289844181-1.jpg

See, some one is working on it. . .

I've been looking through what JayFoxRox has to say and he never says 'no' or 'impossible', and he's like the only one working on a PSP emulator for the Pandora. When he says it can't be done then I'll be willing to say it is impossible. Heck, every one of you nay sayers I never hear tech-no jargon like Exophase, Ari64, JayFoxRox, ect, so until someone that has actually worked on an emulator pipes up I just won't give up hope.

So, basically, if you have not worked on a PSP emulator extensively your guess doesn't hold any weight and saying 'no' or going on to define 'no' for us idiots that want to hear from someone who actually sounds like they now what they're talking about just doesn't convince me. Just the fact that someone with real knowledge on this subject is working on it is enough to say 'maybe', is it not?

On a side note I don't own a PSP and have never really played any games so to me it doesn't matter one way or the other if there ever is a working PSP emulator. Saying 'impossible' when someone is currently working on it just kinda irritates me.

If this is actually possible I can't wait make my sister totally jealous. Where do you people learn how to do this stuff? I can barely make my Linux box do what I want it to. I WANNA HELP!!

I liken emulation to having a box and blocks of wood of different shapes. The Pandora is the box, and the blocks of wood are a puzzle that needs to fit in that box. Things like NES and Gameboy are small puzzles: you can see that the blocks will easily fit in the box, you could practically just dump them in without actually solving the puzzle. SNES and Genesis are a little bigger: you need to do at least some of the puzzle in order to get it small enough to fit, but many of the pieces can just be dumped in anyway, and if you do enough of the puzzle you have room left over for extra features. N64 and Playstation you see this big pile of blocks and can imagine that there might be some way to arrange them so they'll just fit, maybe a little wiggle room, but not much else. Dreamcast and PSP is even a little bigger pile than that: if the puzzle can be built into the box, it will just barely fit with no room for error.

Saturn, PS2, etc... they have a huge pile of pieces; an expert puzzle builder looks at it and knows that it doesn't matter how you arrange them, they just won't fit in the box.

Anyone else think this belongs in a professional text of some sort?

Not only does it apply to emulation, but it also describes the generic process of code optimisation in a nutshell. Well said :D

Back