Promoting The Pandora Via Youtube

God Ginrai posted on May 24 2009 at 03:57 PM said:
I know this may sound stupid, but did you click the All link? On the firefox page, it's bolded, but on the Konqueror page it looks like a link.
Yes, I did click the link; it's probably using some esoteric JavaScript API that's FF-specific too, because it's just a "go-to-anchor"-link in Konqueror (the kind of links used in tables of contents on long HTML pages, you know what I mean) and does nothing when clicked on.

I'm opening Arora and analyzing the page ATM (it has the best web page analyzer there is, not counting FireBug which I can't use because I have Firefox 3.5b4)
EDIT: no dice, YouTube uses obfuscated code, of course... Just switch theme, will you? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
christo930 posted on May 23 2009 at 06:57 PM) [quote="craigix posted on May 23 2009 at 07:34 PM said:
I know what Sony are like, I was involved with Liksang, Dan Morell etc. in that legal action, they did it to all of us. I just chose to keep quiet at the time and deal with it in my own way.
They used an obscure European law to take us all down, but I'd be interested to see what laws they would use in regards to the PS1 discs being used on the Pandora. It's the kind of case which would be interesting, it's not as black and white as some people would have you believe.

Oh and back to the Video news, I'm liking the suggestions here, they are adding to my story board. I'm really in to the idea of showing a portable device for being potable - ie up and about (and in bed"]. Good stuff.

Oh and 400 subscribers, wow.

Craig, you really, really, really miss the point. Sony doesn't have to be right and you don't have to be wrong. They just need to delay the Pandora even more, cost you more than you have in legal fees and hold it up forever. They can do it, make no mistake about it and in this economic climate they will be looking to protect profits in any way they can. For them to spend a million dollars to protect their IP, which in their mind is priceless, is a no brainer. Don't fuck with these people, even if you win, you loose.

Chris[/quote]It seems you miss the point yourself. Unless it actually ships with a PS1 emulator installed, then there are no problems there.

PSyMastR posted on May 25 2009 at 01:45 PM said:
It seems you miss the point yourself. Unless it actually ships with a PS1 emulator installed, then there are no problems there.
You seem to be underestimating the tenacity of some lawyers. It doesn't have to ship with an emulator. It doesn't even have to be capable of running a PS1 emulator at all. If Sony feels in any way threatened by the Pandora, they can have their lawyers file a totally frivolous lawsuit with absolutely no merit, and it will take no less than 6 months to clear, though probably longer if they're pushing hard. And they don't have to win, either: a delay of that length is the same thing as a win in that case.

i've heard it will come with a ps1 emulator out of the box.

Craig, PLEASE dont let a emulator, no metter what kind, come out of the box. Just make a download link in the manual or something...or just no links, because every buyer knows this forum and site.

Its the best thing to do, no matter what will happen, its always save to avoid trouble, especially with the big company's...

i hope this can be done, i'd hate to see the pandora go away because of sony or some other company.

borgqueenx posted on May 25 2009 at 04:56 PM said:

Craig, PLEASE dont let a emulator, no metter what kind, come out of the box. Just make a download link in the manual or something...or just no links, because every buyer knows this forum and site.

Its the best thing to do, no matter what will happen, its always save to avoid trouble, especially with the big company's...

i hope this can be done, i'd hate to see the pandora go away because of sony or some other company.
That person said "unless". He didn't say it will. He was attempting to explain his point about legal issues. Try reading a little more carefully. Craig and Co. will not send the Pandora out installed with emulators.

-God Ginrai

WizardStan posted on May 25 2009 at 06:18 PM said:
PSyMastR posted on May 25 2009 at 01:45 PM said:
It seems you miss the point yourself. Unless it actually ships with a PS1 emulator installed, then there are no problems there.
You seem to be underestimating the tenacity of some lawyers. It doesn't have to ship with an emulator. It doesn't even have to be capable of running a PS1 emulator at all. If Sony feels in any way threatened by the Pandora, they can have their lawyers file a totally frivolous lawsuit with absolutely no merit, and it will take no less than 6 months to clear, though probably longer if they're pushing hard. And they don't have to win, either: a delay of that length is the same thing as a win in that case.
and thus, the problem with legal systems. by the way, i'm suing you for emotional damage.

borgqueenx posted on May 25 2009 at 01:56 PM said:

I think when people talk about software being available out of the box they mean it will be ready for download by the time the pandora is released. Since the pandora doesn't come with an sd card i expect it will come with little more then the operating system already on it.

Xian Long posted on May 25 2009 at 05:48 PM said:
and thus, the problem with legal systems. by the way, i'm suing you for emotional damage.
Yeah, well, I'm double secret suing you!

WizardStan posted on May 25 2009 at 11:28 PM said:
Xian Long posted on May 25 2009 at 05:48 PM said:
Yeah, well, I'm double secret suing you!
yeah, well, i'm double secret counter suing you!

Read the copyright and videogames section of this article done by somebody who I know, knows what he is talking about.

http://lawofthegame.blogspot.com/2007/06/c...-developer.html

Keep in mind that there are still a significant amount of legal ways to get around almost every point made here which is why you don't see and entire encyclopedia's worth of cases and infringements as you do with literally every other medium that's out there.

PS Mario HDR was canned a long time ago but I like the work I did on my banner ;)

Amiga games crawl on PSPUAE and PSP UAE4All. Please show the following which are especially unplayable on PSP (and are very suited for demonstration purposes as they look and sound great):

Apidya
Lemmings
Lotus Turbo Challenge II
Pinball Dreams
Shadow of the Beast III
Stardust
Turrican II (even though it already worked pretty well on the GP2X)

Any chance we could split the legal speculations to their own thread?

There are no emulators, or even media players shipping on the Pandora for obvious reasons. These things will be easily installable by the user, but it is entirely at the user's discretion.

"

Yes Craig. Do that.
Craig was on Channel 4?!

For further video ideas: how about cooking dinner, using the pandora to read the recipe online and possibly an instant message program to invite guests round to eat. For a more ambitious version have a cooking video instead of a recipe - something from Youtube or even iPlayer (which I believe works with only a few scripts in Linux) and talking to your guests via webcam chat/voip. Doing this over WIFI and mobile internet would be perfect, say for example you need to go to the shops for an ingredient you forgot - at which point you pop in the 3g dongle and carry on chatting on the way to/inside the shop.

For another video you could stress test how many USB gadgets and and related applications you can run before it slows down. For example: playing a DVD, ripping a DVD, browsing IMDB page for DVD, printing out the page, making the info into a small (geocities style) homepage and hosting it on the pandora over the internet, scanning in the box, editing the box-art with the GIMP then get bored and see how many games you can run at once. I don't even know what the limit to USB devices is, but you could try daisy chaining a dozen usb hubs and filling it with devices and memory cards!

Awakening posted on May 23 2009 at 04:20 PM) [quote="craigix posted on May 23 2009 at 08:34 PM said:
Oh and back to the Video news, I'm liking the suggestions here, they are adding to my story board. I'm really in to the idea of showing a portable device for being potable - ie up and about (and in bed"]. Good stuff.
How about on the bus or in a car? A lot of people are stuck in those cans twice a day. BTW, show how easy it is to carry in your pocket or bag.[/quote]Around here that might even mean mobile internet. The local community bus outfit has equipped a couple of the longer bus routes with wifi. It'll be a while before it's out on all of the buses, but it's going to kick ass when we get it.

As for all the copyright business, as it stands now fair use protections don't apply to dumping roms off of cartridges, that was settled sometime in the 80s. Not that it really stops anybody, I've been dumping my GBA carts to disk for a while and I haven't been harassed. Even bought it through a website in my home state. It may change in the future, but the portion of the DMCA that deals with encryption is specifically not meant to prevent circumvention to play a purchased game on a handheld and such. Especially if the system for which it was sold no longer exists.

"

Yes Craig. Do that.
Craig was on Channel 4?!

For further video ideas: how about cooking dinner, using the pandora to read the recipe online and possibly an instant message program to invite guests round to eat. For a more ambitious version have a cooking video instead of a recipe - something from Youtube or even iPlayer (which I believe works with only a few scripts in Linux) and talking to your guests via webcam chat/voip. Doing this over WIFI and mobile internet would be perfect, say for example you need to go to the shops for an ingredient you forgot - at which point you pop in the 3g dongle and carry on chatting on the way to/inside the shop.

For another video you could stress test how many USB gadgets and and related applications you can run before it slows down. For example: playing a DVD, ripping a DVD, browsing IMDB page for DVD, printing out the page, making the info into a small (geocities style"] homepage and hosting it on the pandora over the internet, scanning in the box, editing the box-art with the GIMP then get bored and see how many games you can run at once. I don't even know what the limit to USB devices is, but you could try daisy chaining a dozen usb hubs and filling it with devices and memory cards![/quote]Is there only 1 channel 4 in England? In the US there lots of duplicate channel use, so a channel 6 in Philadelphia would be completely different from the channel 6 in Ohio.

christo930 posted on May 26 2009 at 04:05 PM said:
Is there only 1 channel 4 in England?
Yes. England has a nationalized television system. They don't have the same network/affiliate system that the US does. BBC 4 is BBC 4 no matter where you are in the UK.

I think that some regions get localised news, however, don't they? I've never stopped to watch TV when not in the North-East, but I don't think London is watching "Look North". :D

Back