Promoting The Gp2x Further...

nubie posted on Jul 18 2006 at 10:01 AM said:
This guy makes a good point, and it could be high-quality 2D or 3D, either way a competition could be made to design a mascot game.
Yeah, this is kind of fun. Wouldn't even have to start with a game, just a mascot. Besides a name and concept, we'd want some stock art that could be adapted to various game purposes. Also 3-D models. A "mascot package" like that would be a good start for people wanting to make games using the mascot.

I don't know if doing it by committee would work very well... not sure that a blue hedgehog (or whatever it is) named Sonic or a little italian guy would come out of a general discussion, or would be accepted by most of us if it didn't exist already. If we could come up with something that catches on it could be fun though. I'd make a game using the mascot if we came up with one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote to start with a mascot: That's what Linux did with Tux the penguin, and then along came SuperTux, Tux Racer, TuxKart, and so on & so forth. . .

I think a mascot who's visible pixellated would be good: It'd suggest the old 8-bit games that we all like playing on the GP2X, and you could easily build it out of Lego :)

Edit: Whoops, Dzz got there first. Great minds, eh? ;)

The obvious if rather tacky choice would be a pirate.

A stylized dinosaur could work.

A barbarian or caveman has possibilities.

Something much more bizarre like a banana with a face on it would be possible.

A robot wouldn't be bad.

The ideas are endless.

Edited to add: pre-emptive strike: not a penis.

Yono posted on Jul 17 2006 at 02:44 PM said:
I know that you guys are mostly targeting the European audience in this topic, but if you ever want to get into the American market, send a unit to the guys at MAKE Magazine. This magazine goes out to the hobbyist community, who actually take into account hackability in their purchases and enjoy being able to easily program their devices.

They already know about it. I sent them an e-mail about it and they posted a blurb on their blog about it about a month or so ago.

Here's a character I created a while ago by accident using 3D forms in Photoshop. It's in no way refined enough to be a candidate for the 2X mascot, but if anyone finds any inspiration in it I'll have served my purpose on this quest :)

Angry_Bilong.png

I'll just shout out random animals until someone gets an idea.
Frog. Mammoth. Squirrel. Crocodile. Albatross. Sea-lion. Stork. Sheepdog. Shrimp. Rattlesnake. Rat. Scorpion. Snail...

These random animals were brought to you by "The OXFORD Children's DICTIONARY - NEW EDITION [sic]"

EDIT: I also like the 3d green armour thing

Dzz posted on Jul 18 2006 at 06:51 PM said:
Something much more bizarre like a banana with a face on it would be possible.
[...]
Edited to add: pre-emptive strike: not a penis.

It's SO weird you should say those two things, because years ago, I made this guy as an avatar for another forum:

banav.gif

As people have said - word of mouth works everytime. I have had three people buy one on the back of my original purchase. There again.. that's no good for anyone in the position of a retailer wishing to sell it to the masses.

I'd have a good search through the net and see what crops up - I can think that say, the C64 scene would be more than interested as they can now play .sids on the go. See if you can reach some of their members through the C64 forums without being accused of spamming.

Nothing on UK TV? Shame MaxTV don't do 'feature spots' - the GP2X would fit right in with their product line. I'm sure you could shift some through there ?

Aninhumer posted on Jul 18 2006 at 06:15 PM said:
I'll just shout out random animals until someone gets an idea.
Frog. Mammoth. Squirrel. Crocodile. Albatross. Sea-lion. Stork. Sheepdog. Shrimp. Rattlesnake. Rat. Scorpion. Snail...
I vote Squirrel.

You could do endless things with a squirrel (stop laughing!).
I have a strange vision of one smoking a cigar, holding a gatling gun (in a menacing way) with a scar on it's cheek. Perfect Duke replacement :p

Edit: Those GPenguin ones are amazing, but it'd be nice to have a creature of our very own

What i just don't get is why a lot of websites still use those old pictures of the GP2X! Why use a picture of a white GP2X when you can't even buy one? I suggest people start using promotion material of the black MK2 model instead :)

I was thinking... Nintendo had quite a lot of success with their Italian plumber named Mario...
So how about something along those lines?
We should stick to Europe...
And it'd be best if our was also a handyman of sorts. People can relate to handymen.
how about we give him a character fault as well, to make it darker and deeper? (edit: a drinking problem. Hence the colouration around his nose.)

I give you...
hasse.jpg

THE SWEDISH CABLE REPAIR MAN HASSE!

Magnulus posted on Jul 18 2006 at 12:17 PM said:
I was thinking... Nintendo had quite a lot of success with their Italian plumber named Mario...
So how about something along those lines?
We should stick to Europe...
And it'd be best if our was also a handyman of sorts. People can relate to handymen.
how about we give him a character fault as well, to make it darker and deeper?

I give you...
hasse.jpg

THE SWEDISH CABLE REPAIR MAN HASSE!

You've got my vote!

Back