Promoting The Gp2x Further...

Well i found out about the GP2X when one of my friends said to me " You remember that console you where thingking of buying some time ago, Gp32?".
He had foundout about it while searching for SDL related sites.

I belive it's hard to do a commercial that makes regular users want to buy it and still appeal to developers.
Basicly whenever i have told people that you can make your own games, or that it runs linux as it's OS, they sort it into the "Geekthing/no good games/do not want" category.

The best way to appeal to both is to make the dev-appealing-bits subtile, like
"The linux core enables this device to be your very own media player, playing all your favorite format's, sutch as, mp3, ogg, avi, mpeg, divx and xvid !
And if the (inches here) isn't enugh, you can connect it to the tv using it's excelent tv-out to watching movies or play games".

The regular user will probably not even notice "linux" in that sentice, while most developers will.

Well, I do know words, and while linux isn't the focus of your statement, it's still how the entire message started. Alright. I'm going to do some creative thinking with everyone.

The things we want to convey to our target audience:

- Clear, good-sized, FULL color, great quality LCD screen
- Free downloadable games of all types (staying away from emulation near the beginning. Make it sound like emulation is NOT the main focus)
- Movie file playing. (Stick to currently working formats)
- Powerful dual-CPU "ARM" core @ 200 MHz (Avoid specifics about the second core until it's more available to programmers)
- Program or port your OWN games with "Linux"! (Developers will pick up the CPU details from the point above and THEN mention Linux)
- Music file playing. Popular MP3 and OGG formats.
- Retro-style game emulation (Try to avoid listing emulators that are not %100 with sound, leave out details like frameskip, they confuse the layperson)
- Easily connect to a computer using USB 1.1/2.0 or use the popular "SD card" format card reader.
- Free Firmware updates (while an obvious statement, more use of the word "free" attracts attention)

Fine print
- SD Card and reader not included
- Standard batteries may be insufficient to power console for very long
- Free downloads require internet connection

AVOID the following.
- Mentioning the PSP or the Nintendo DS, we're not striving to compete.
- Comparisons with the GP32, merely the mention of it being a successor should be enough.
- Stating that Payback is a clone of GTA, I think they'll get the point when they download the demo or movie.
- Showing ANY other console's logo or any image from a game by the makers of a console, like Sonic, Mario, etc...

Magnulus posted on Jul 17 2006 at 07:49 AM said:
Craig, take some lessons from your own site. When I was deciding whether to buy the GP2X and when I've showed it to people, I've been constantly coming back to that page because the front page looks very enticing.

I agree! After finding out about the GP2X from TheRegister.co.uk I visited craigs site and the list of features sold it to me there and then. The site could do with a little work though, related to some of the colours used. (eg. news links on the main page, in dark blue, arghhhhh my EEEEEEYES!!! Oh, and that stuff about WMV and AC3... I also think you need to make it clear that the version available currently is BLACK. I expected a white one lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only had my GP2X for a couple of weeks now after spotting the advert in Games magazine, but I think its an outstanding piece of kit. I'm sure more people would be interested if they only knew about it.
This thread reminded me about a story I read on an aspiring game programmer, who used to phone round video game shops asking if they had his game in stock. Eventually the shops would contact him with orders.
Maybe we could all write in asking for reviews, info etc on the GP2X to the popular games magazines. Games has a retro section as do other magazines, and you also have Retro gamer. I guess as some of these magazines carry adverts for the GP2X perhaps Craig could push them for articles on the GP2X?
Only other idea is to approach some popular gadget websites such as Firebox or Iwantoneofthose.
If you could sell via those webites you would be open to a much larger audience who are relatively tech savvy.

I think the GP2X should come with a 1GB SD card pre-loaded with loads of complete games (and maybe some videos and music). At the moment it's a bit like a "kit" where you get the hardware and then have to hunt around for the good stuff yourself - so it's less accessible to non-geeks. I think it should be sold as a super-value pack of great portable games + system, then the other uses will become clear as the package is opened.

The other uses of it are great selling points - but only to geeks who will find this stuff out for themselves anyway.

In short - clarity of purpose for massmarket penetration.

Actually I think mentioning another handheld by name might imply a desire to compete, where we don't really want to complete with any company. What I mean is imply other handhelds without actually naming any or listing features known to only be available to those other consoles. eg... "Commercial games cost less than most commercial titles for other portable systems" or "larger playing screen than other portable media players"

I know MOST people know that having any other logos/characters is probably illegal, but not everyone does. Someone in another thread suggested putting icons of other consoles, with arrows leading TO the GP2X, symbolizing the emulation of the 2X. That tells me that not everyone knows basic copyright, which is not their fault, naturally, but still...

As for the Internet required comment, I was listing a couple things for fine print. Stuff that's assumed, but not everyone knows about it. There's reasons why things have warning labels like "Do not eat" or "Do not use as shelf". Hopefully it will keep the stupid from complaining, or even better buying one in the first place.

thebooboo posted on Jul 17 2006 at 10:45 AM said:
At the moment it's a bit like a "kit" where you get the hardware and then have to hunt around for the good stuff yourself - so it's less accessible to non-geeks.

Hmmm... No, not really. The file archive serves a very important purpose in that aspect. It's a one-stop resource for all your GP2X downloading needs.

What the GP2X really needs is a unified mode of "installation". People are likely to get confuzzled by the fact that SOME games and emulators allow you to put the files wherever you want, while others require you to either use certain file structures or - even worse - figure out how to write scripts and then make scripts for your game.

A set of guidelines on what to include with a game and how to make it "install" would greatly improve the ease of use and accessibility of the system. What if the CPU tweaker could be incorporated into the games and you could overclock from within the game's own menus? I'm no programmer, but shouldn't that be possible?

IMO I think advertising the device on my tech sites and hardware sites is a must (as that is how I found out about the device). Put more emphasis on its multimedia purposes rather than just on games and emulation.

Secondly play strong emphasis on the open source fact and that it is developer friendly and show some possible examples of what could be made with the device.

Other things you could also show is its functionality in how people have adapted it to do other neat stuff like EvilDragons car player etc... ie show that the thing is truely a mobile platform and can be taken with you anywhere?

Try and sort out more promotional stuff with other sites that do competitions. Do a prize where they can win a whole complete GP2X package (not just the console but include the accessories, people want everything with the device as its more of an investment for some).

$8000 is ALOT of money just for advertising especially if its just for YouTube movies. There are other ways that it could be better spent (but I'll have to put my head to it to find all of em ;)) but mass net exposure via news, tech and game sites is a first then you can consider doing movie adverts.

How much does it cost to do a flash advert on various game sites etc? Would that be a cheaper alternative? The cool thing is you could even incorporate a movie advert with the flash adverts by streaming a .flv within the .swf flash file, and get a mini movie advert done that way. You can have multiple variations of the advert and they can then be dotted around the net or some could even link back to YouTube for more info (if you do go down that route).

I'll restate that I think many indie developers would jump on the chance to earn a few thousand quid by porting a game they'd already made. It would negate the design phase (apart from a slight redesign to make their games work on 320x240), the gameplay test phase would be considerably shortened, the whole "planning" phase would be cut down to a fraction of the time they originally used, and the graphics would only perhaps need to be rescaled (some of these games, not even that.).

So again: TALK TO INDIE DEVELOPERS!

Nickmon posted on Jul 16 2006 at 09:46 PM said:
craigix posted on Jul 16 2006 at 08:14 PM said:
Hi Everyone, Craig here,

I'd like to hear your ideas about how we might promote the GP2X further in the UK & Europe.

I was thinking of doing something for youtube maybe (it is expensive though, about $8,000 for front page exposure for one week).

Let me know of any ideas you think might work on youtube and also in other areas, or even how you heard about the GP2X to start with...

Thanks,

Craig

I dont mean to be funny Craig, but I really think you should look at making the advert you use in retrogamer/Games TM a little sharper its in need of an update. (IMHO)

Unfortunately Im no good in that department, but I am sure some one here would be able to help you and maybe swap a few hours work for a BOB of something..

What I think is wrong:

Not easy to see who you are, include an address people like that still
The GP2x pic at top is just too big
There is too much text on the bottom half, makes it look complicated
Update the bottom pics with real images (I understand there could be copyright problems with roms, but there must be enough freeware stuff to use) or have a link on the page to a www site with some samples of the emulators and roms..

Better Custom GUI shots may be show a couple of skins
Use nice speech bubbles or round icons with a small amount of text, fast to the point text on them (like the round green circle on page 21 or retrogamer26), IE high impact, eye catching points..
You have other products plug them to (power lead, bob, tv lead, batteries recharges etc)

I just asked the Mrs what she thought:
Its dull - the advert
Does not make me want to go out and get one
Cant be bother to read the text - too much, too small to see

Just my 10 cents, worth

Any one out there able to help redesign the ad...>

See other thread:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=S...=41&t=30198

Lets not forget that the GP2X has no real competitors. It basicly owns the whole market it was designed for. The only competitor out there, is the GP2X it self! There is no device that has been designed for what the GP2X can do, for the small price you have to pay.

If it wasn't for the largest and best technology website in the Netherlands, Tweakers.net, i haven't even bought the GP2X. Before i wanted to buy a Nintendo DS in combination with a movie player card or something similar. But, a few weeks before the launch of the new Nintendo DS Lite, i saw this very great article apearing on the frontpage of Tweakers.net. The writer said it was a very good handheld system that was designed for a certain kind of market, and provided some links to other websites with full reviews of the system. I read 'em all, gathered a little extra information my self, and in the end i came to the conclusion that i didn't wanted to buy a Nintendo DS Lite anymore. It just can't compete against the GP2X i think. Even if the DS Lite sells for a couple of coins less.

The GP2X has so much to offer at the moment, and it will only get better in the future. The possibility's are great, as is the community around it. The console can however defenetely need some nice adverts to gain a little extra attention, and to gain a boost in popularity. Professional looking adverts in magazines, and on websites will help a lot! Most people don't even know that this console exists! And normaly when this is the fact, nobody will buy it either. Let people know what this system is all about.

Personaly i would send a console in combination with a pre-loaded SD card to all mayor websites and magazines. That is, when i had the money to do it... And i guess the boys and girls at GPH just don't have this kind of money at the moment. It probably doesn't have to cost a lot at all to make this system a larger succes.

In the end this console will probably do just fine based on the succes thus far. But a little extra attention would defenetely be nice. GPH needs the community for this the most! As the whole system is designed around it! Also i would defenetely contact the bigger websites and magazines through Europe to inform them about this console. For example the biggest gaming magazine in the Benelux, Power unlimited. Just make a nice welcome packet for people like this. Give them a nice sum up of the systems features. Let 'em see what it's all about. And they will probably make a nice review in their magazine.

I suspect the best way to get people interested would be to get it into a few shop windows, or in demo booths. It's the sort of thing people would say "hang on - what's that black thing in the window?" to.

Also the best way to avoid anyone complaining after purchase that the joystick made things unplayable, seeing as they'd have already tried it and liked or loathed it...

Tobriand posted on Jul 17 2006 at 12:34 PM said:
I suspect the best way to get people interested would be to get it into a few shop windows, or in demo booths. It's the sort of thing people would say "hang on - what's that black thing in the window?" to.

Also the best way to avoid anyone complaining after purchase that the joystick made things unplayable, seeing as they'd have already tried it and liked or loathed it...
Depends on whether the game shops are interested or not in replacing their huge [insert triple-A game title] banner with a display for some obscure Handheld system. It's the shop's responsibility to drive people in their doors, which they do by advertising for games that are destined to sell well. Games and consoles which have already been marketed to death by their companies.

In other words, asking shop owners to do the marketing for you will be a dead end in the making.

However!
In 1985, there was this company based in Japan. It had a neat-looking game system it wanted to sell, but the game industry was in a total dead end as far as retailers and consumers were concerned at the time. What they did was that they offered some toy stores around the New York area to come there themselves, set up a booth, and sell the system FOR them in the month(s?) preceding christmas. The stores were given full rights to return the units that weren't sold, and they didn't even have to spend any time (time = money) on selling it.
The system sold out. After christmas, several store owners called Nintendo back up to order more units, and it wasn't long before the system had a US-wide release.

Nintendo took it in their own hands and they pushed and pushed and pushed. The NES was a roaring success. Maybe GPH should take some of this with them?

My suggestion is:
Perhaps they could "employ" representatives in different cities of different countries who would bring some units of the GP2X (+ accessories) with them to different game shops in their areas and present the stores with the opportunity to have the rep. in the store on a weekend or other busy day of the week, demonstrating and selling the GP2X in the store. The store would not pay for anything but the units sold, so there's no insecurity for them, this would be a store activity, which always helps to draw attention to the store itself, and the customers would benefit from a seller who knows what he/she's talking about and who could answer any questions.

The reps could recieve their "payment" in the form of free GP2X units, free accessories, and free games, the extent of the payment depending on the amount of work done (number of stores) and the success rate of the rep. (I'm saying this instead of monetary rewards, because it simplifies legal matters to a great extent.)

I like adverts which continue themselves
the first advert doesnt make to much sense
but then you see the second one, and your like -aaaa thats what its for

That is supposing that the first commercial was interesting enough in the first place to make you actually bother to scratch your head about it. Most seemingly nonsensical ads leave my brain immediately and are as such wasted on me.

The key thing here is target market. I'd imagine its likely to be a combo of:

*) retro gamers
*) linux users
*) hard core gamers
*) gadget fans

There is already targetted adverts towards these, although I actually think the old gp32 ad in retro gamer was better than the gp2x one - some screenshots would be great.

Anyway, as most people have already said, advertising on web-sites and in magazines for the above areas is the obvious.

However, another way to think about it, is what else are the above groups interested in... and try advertising on non-obvious forum web sites that blokes hang out on. Not as a replacement for the above, but in addition.

Emulation of retro machines such as Speccy, C64 and BBC is less contentious than NES etc (plus most guys of my age had a home computer and have nostaglia for that... ) so its a good starting point.

How about a rotating banner ad with 4 'screens' showing a device that can play Chuckie Egg, watch tv serials, listening to mp3 and on the last one show give technical specs (with url in all so can see even if allergic to clicking banners).

Eg the above banner on a car forum web-site such as pistonheads.com? The point being is that it would be so out of the ordinary that would gain attention and then a forum discussion that gp32x board members could pipe in and add to... ie to kick start the 'viral' marketing.

There must be dozens of hi-fi, car, electronics, movie, tv-series etc forum sites that are quite niche and so have low advertising costs.

The nice thing is you can start small with a couple of forum ads and see if it takes off, so if it doesn't work, you haven't blown $8k. Perhaps if people listed those forums that you are a member of that aren't game / IT related it would show if this was a go-er or not....

Heh - if you're after a car-loving audience, try sending a GP2X with some driving games & the like to Top Gear ;)

Incidentally, are there any GP2X banners/icons/whatnot that those of us with web pages can use to advertise it..? I'm sure there's a few of us about :)

A thought just struck me. . .

I've been playing around with virtualization software lately. Specifically, Qemu - it's free software. What's more, some FOSS projects like DamnSmallLinux and ReactOS offer downloads of their OS complete with Qemu & a script that means you can start a virtual machine with their OS with simple point & click.

So: Kind of expanding on TheBooboo's idea of a pre-loaded 1GB card filled with games, what about advertising a download of a virtualized GP2X? You could load it with emulators & as many legally-shareable games as the emu's could run; Creative Commons music & movies; homebrew games & ported Linux games. Everything that's legal to freely download, in essence.

And then people could see just how much the GP2X can do without having to buy it first. It *might* even be possible to get it included on some computer magazine coverdisks, or mentioned in articles in disc-less mags like Retro Gamer.

Since I can run Windows XP via Qemu without too much trouble, I can't believe that a typical PC owner won't have enough power to run a virtualized GP2X.

If there's a better way to advertise just how versatile the GP2X is without having any major hardware costs, I can't think of it ;)

Back