Gpsquares Now For The Gp2x!

Akuma no Houkon

Certified Guru
Website
akuma.gp32news.com
I posted this earlier in news, but it didnt get added and the link on the main page is broken (did something happen?)

So here it is:

GPSquares was my first GP32 game, as such its fitting that it become my first GP2x game!

This isnt so much of a port as a complete rewrite from the ground up.

Without further ado
http://gp32.indiedevs.com/GPSquares_GP2X.tar.gz

I am in the process of porting my other 2 GP32 games, and finish up my 4th game that never got completed for the GP32, all of which will be open sourced sometime soon after release.

Anyway, have fun!

Sorry about the double post, but the original link on the front page seems broken, and the topic isnt listed yet on the actual forums.

The controls are simple:
On the Menu 'X' selects an option
In game 'X' + Direction captures a line. 'Y' Exits back to the menu.

I plan to rework the AI some to make it a bit more challenging after I finish my other games.

Excellent, thanks for the fun game Akuma! The AI keeps kicking my ass, the bastard ;)

The news are approved by a mod first before they're viewable.

Never EVER tried this on GP32. I think i'll try it tomorrow, after my physics exams. Try it on Both GP32 and GP2x :) I like my GP32 blu more :) The screen is much cripser, brighter and without scanlines. Well, not really braighter but the contrast is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better.

Thank you I hope those of you who never played it, enjoy it. It is a very simple game that I originally made for the GP32 by request on the forum.

Its very fun for quick blasts, some say the AI is too hard, some say its too easy...once you understand the AI you can win almost every time. I really need to do some work on it.

As I earlier stated, I plan to open source all my games, so they are not being simply ported, I am rewriting them so the code is cleaner and readable.

sam fisher said:
Never EVER tried this on GP32. I think i'll try it tomorrow, after my physics exams. Try it on Both GP32 and GP2x :) I like my GP32 blu more :) The screen is much cripser, brighter and without scanlines. Well, not really braighter but the contrast is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better.
Actually the contrast (defined as the difference between bright and dark) is way less on the BLU. The colors are very faded and washed out. Unless you have one of the first GP2Xs with the bad resistor that is. If you do you should fix it, that looked pretty bad. The only thing better about the screen on the BLU than the older GP2X is the lack of interlace.

Oh, and thanks for the port Akuma :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well not so much a port, I wrote the original game, and this is a complete rewrite of that. Only a few lines of code stayed the same as my original source :)

I just noticed DaveC, we joined at almost the same time, you are two Member No.s higher :) Wow that was a long time ago...

Nice one ! I love the presentation. Respect. Original homebrew FTW.

sam fisher said:
I agree with you totally. As soon as I read it I scanned down for the predictable response - and lo ! there it was (almost word for word) :lol: . You did not do just to bait him, did you ?

But let us not detract from Akuma's welcome announcement with this old debate.

Cheers again, Akuma.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave it some more tries, and I'm getting better :)

I think that the lines do not stand enough from the background, perhaps you could make the board background a little more faded and lighter-coloured to make things easier to see. I hate squinting to the screen, and not doing that often makes me miss crucial moves. Thanks again for the fun game :)

Back