Processor Replacement

DanGP

Still Fresh
Is it possible to replace the gp32_console processor with a faster ARM9?

Yes, but you'll find it quite difficult to buy them in singular quantities, and unless you buy the same package outline and pin configuration, it'll be a nightmare to fit. So, another, "not practical".

Yeah not practical, would be cool if it was though full speed n64 emulation might be possible. :D

DanGP posted on Apr 29 2005 at 04:23 PM said:
Yeah not practical, would be cool if it was though full speed n64 emulation might be possible. :D
I think you would need 3D hardwear to emulate N64 but maybe we could get more than 2 fps out of a psx emulator lol

Last edited by a moderator:
DanGP posted on Apr 29 2005 at 04:48 PM said:
I'm sure if you put in a 400mhz ARM9 like the gizmondo has you'd get more than 2 fps :D
Also there no need for 3D hardware (although it would make emulation faster) because someone has got a GP32 N64 emulator here http://www.ifrance.com/gp64project/screens.htm although I bet it's about 1 fps :D
Is that really, real? Really?

DanGP posted on Apr 29 2005 at 05:48 PM said:
I'm sure if you put in a 400mhz ARM9 like the gizmondo has you'd get more than 2 fps :D
Also there no need for 3D hardware (although it would make emulation faster) because someone has got a GP32 N64 emulator here http://www.ifrance.com/gp64project/screens.htm although I bet it's about 1 fps :D

Oh no, Not the N64 emulator again. :rolleyes:

With changing the CPU to make the GP faster, You have to take in to consideration the bus and memory speed, Which would not be made any faster with the CPU upgrade.

Trooper

Looks real bogus to me. Even if it wasn't it would be real sloooooooooooooooow, to the point of it being unuseable.

It would be realy slow
With changing the CPU to make the GP faster, You have to take in to consideration the bus and memory speed, Which would not be made any faster with the CPU upgrade.
Yeah didn't think of that.

Also please don´t forget that a processor always has embedded software in it so you ´d need a processor that:
-Is pin compatible
-Has the same architecture like the ARM9 used in the GP32
-Has the same voltage need

AND you would need to:
-get a developer board to change the embedded software (impossible if you´re not an employee of a big Samsung parter)
-somehow change the frontside bus frequency and the memory freqency

Guess what? it´s not possible.

What embedded software? The only software present is the code run at startup, which is the gp32 firmware.

The memory frequency/etc can be changed in software by changing the values in the memory controller.

All we need is a processor with the same pin configuration and peripherals, and no doub't by now, Samsung will be selling them. However, like I say in my first reply, they will be expecting you to take thousands at once, not single quantities.

So, yes, it *is* possible, just not practical.

you can get arm developer boards, I saw them for sale at www.xgamestation.com

B) wildo2ne

Is that an old link to that (obviously fake) n64 emu? Never saw (go watch that movie!) it around here, but I found it quite funny.

Of course you can get arm developer boards - I have one myself (embedded software is my main job), but the GP32 still doesn't have embedded software in it's ARM9 chip, which was the point I was trying to make.

Squidge posted on Apr 30 2005 at 07:56 AM said:
Of course you can get arm developer boards - I have one myself (embedded software is my main job), but the GP32 still doesn't have embedded software in it's ARM9 chip, which was the point I was trying to make.
you have a cool job :D (maybe I want to study "embedded sytems" here in the netherlands, it sounds cool :D).

Fishbong posted on Apr 29 2005 at 07:19 PM said:
Also please don´t forget that a processor always has embedded software in it

Squidge posted on Apr 29 2005 at 09:37 PM said:
What embedded software? The only software present is the code run at startup, which is the gp32 firmware.

AND you would need to:
-get a developer board to change the embedded software (impossible if you´re not an employee of a big Samsung parter)
-somehow change the frontside bus frequency and the memory freqency

The memory frequency/etc can be changed in software by changing the values in the memory controller.
wildo2ne posted on Apr 30 2005 at 12:54 AM said:
you can get arm developer boards, I saw them for sale at www.xgamestation.com

Guess what? it´s not possible.

So, yes, it *is* possible, just not practical.
:D :D :D

Back