Cpu Replacement As Upgrade?

ALG

Still Fresh
I don't have a GP32 (yet), but I was curious as to whether the ARM9 processor could be swapped out? Could you insert another ARM9 chip at a higher clock speed? I am not too familiar with the architecture of the GP32, nor ARM chip design and compatability, but if one were to remove the chip and solder in one running at a faster clock (say, one yanked from a Gizmundo, 400mhz Samsung ARM9, and yes, treat this as purely hypothetical...), would the system handle it, or is the architecture too closed? Is compatability between ARM9's standard, or does the form vary between makers? Just a theoretical question, should one come across a surplus ARM9 chip (or a broken Gizmundo, at some later date).

i dont think so, it has been asked before search the forum,,,

althought various ARM processors in the x9 familly someone said all the chips over the one on the Gp32 have a drastically different pinout so you would need a lot of wires, but not imposible.

that's only what read, not sure about :huh:

Aiken

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont think so, it has been asked before search the forum,,,

althought various ARM processors in the x9 familly someone said all the chips over the one on the Gp32 have a drastically different pinout so you would need a lot of wires, but not imposible.

that's only what read, not sure about :huh:

Aiken

The pinout was what I was curious about, since I'm not too sure on the standardization of ARM chips. Guess that answers my question. Thanks ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back